Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #436 of 3,931
Would love to hear some comments/feedback from Shure SE530 owners who have had the extra mid-driver added (total of 4 drivers). I am going to get mine customed and can't decide if I should pay the extra 230USD for the mid driver. My 530s have been 'out of commission' for over 6 months now so I can't even really assess how I think the extra driver will sound...

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #437 of 3,931
Not sure what effect there will be on the sound when you add an driver to the SE530, it seems what it needs more is a high frequency driver. Changing the current high/mid frequency driver to a mid frequency and applying a separate high frequency driver. The lows are relatively flat on the SE530, and the mids are perfectly fine already. But i think the SE530 might be (in my opinion) the best earphone out there if the highs were just a leap better.

Also, make sure to ask for a dual bore design
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #438 of 3,931
^ I'd have to agree MaoDi. I really think the mids are the main part of the SE530 that are bang on, so was a bit surprised at the idea of adding another mid driver. In fact I replied to the email asking why I would want to add another and was told:

"You are right there will be 4 drivers in total if you add a mid driver,the vocal is forward,more clearer and the sound stage is wide."

Like you, I thought they had actually made a mistake and it was a high or low freq driver that could be added (which I might have been into). Given the reply, and considering that I'm primarily into instrumental music, I'm leaning towards not bothering with the extra driver - it's a huge price jump after all from 90USD to 320USD. Having said that, added sound stage would be fantastic... but it's a hard decision to make when you have no way of knowing how the end result will sound.

Has anyone actually elected the option of adding a driver to their SE530 so far?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, make sure to ask for a dual bore design
wink.gif

Should I ask for dual bore regardless of the extra driver? I'm sure it's explained somewhere in the thread, but can you comment briefly on the difference?

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #440 of 3,931
JH13+ESX+UE11=Captain Planet

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #441 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the SE530 and ER4P combined??

I own a pair of ER4 as well as it happens... And don't plan to use them a great deal once my SE530 get the custom treatment... Would that even be possible??? Surely you couldn't really get the sound to blend and match properly?

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #443 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH13+ESX+UE11+Private 668+ACS-T1+Mage+EARinc Z5=Captain Planet

DOUBLE FIXED

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #444 of 3,931
that is if you can fit that many drivers...

JH13=6
ES3X=3
UE11=4
668=8
T1=3
Mage=4
Z5=5

WAIT NO I FORGOT THE UPCOMING JH16!

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #445 of 3,931
I did it yesterday. sounds terrible.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #446 of 3,931
Just to update, I got a new response in regards to my query about a 4 driver SE530:

"We only suggest you add a mid driver on Se530 (one treble, one mid and two bass) if you like to. The vocal is forward, more clearer and the sound stage is wide comparing to original SE530."

So although the stock SE530 has 1 driver for mid/treble and 2 for bass, it sounds like by adding a 4th driver the configuration would be 1 driver for treble, 1 for mids and 2 for bass. I would love to be enlightened as to how that actually happens, and how any of it actually ends up sounding cohesive, given that the drivers are a bit of a 'mish mash' of original and new ones and no crossovers are added/altered. Any thoughts?

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #447 of 3,931
Well I just got my SE530 reshells (no new drivers)and i must say, they seem great. Great build quality and they sound better than I remember, more detailed, also due to a better seal I suppose.. Had a quick turnaround, it only took them 2 weeks after receiving them and I had excellent communication. Sent tues received on Friday. Thanks to all on this thread who got me into this, the 530 were about to go in the bin, so bad were the cables. Good to have them back and the purple looks much better in real life than their stock photo!.... some pics.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #448 of 3,931
Honestly,i think UM has the most vibrant and "clean" colours. The colours look so pure, and has such a deep tone to them.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #449 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by hammck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just got my SE530 reshells (no new drivers)and i must say, they seem great. Great build quality and they sound better than I remember, more detailed, also due to a better seal I suppose.. Had a quick turnaround, it only took them 2 weeks after receiving them and I had excellent communication. Sent tues received on Friday. Thanks to all on this thread who got me into this, the 530 were about to go in the bin, so bad were the cables. Good to have them back and the purple looks much better in real life than their stock photo!.... some pics.

Beautifull......

Can I ask are those cables the Westone ES?

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #450 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautifull......

Can I ask are those cables the Westone ES?

They are the UE11 ones, thought they may give me more clarity. Well more than the crappy stock Shure's of course... Will experiment with a couple of others in near future, something which may help the rolled-off highs on the SE530. Not sure which though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back