Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #361 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Felix.

I've chickened out of having the Q-jays done also as I think they would really need another driver to sound decent remoulded, something to do with an air chamber in the original phones that helps with the bass that would obviously be missing if remoulded.

The air chamber is a marketing spec. I've seen the inside of the q-Jays, there's just extra space behind the driver for air to move. There'd be an infinite amoutn of space for the driver after remold.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #363 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, ok so will they sound the same or even better do you think if I had them remoulded. I also have W3's which I'm temped to have done but might just go for the custom tips for those.

Remolded Westone 3's seem like they'd be great to me. I would think they'd be like ES3X's with larger soundstage. What's not to like??
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #365 of 3,931
My purple X10's are done. Sam sent me an email today. They still need to ship back from China, possibly via Null Audio in Singapore. So probably still a couple of weeks before they'll be in my ears.

I asked Sam if he has pictures. If so, I'll edit this post and add them. If not I'll post pictures and a mini review when they get to me.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #366 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My purple X10's are done. Sam sent me an email today. They still need to ship back from China, possibly via Null Audio in Singapore. So probably still a couple of weeks before they'll be in my ears.

I asked Sam if he has pictures. If so, I'll edit this post and add them. If not I'll post pictures and a mini review when they get to me.

That would be much appreciated. Especially as I've also ordered purple......

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #367 of 3,931
Ok so UM received my impressions & phones (sent off se530 and hf2 for fun);

3 days from UK to China with Fedex Priority.

Now they've been received, things have stopped running so smoothly
frown.gif
frown.gif

It seems that someone else has taken over the e-mail chain, and did not have a clue what was going on - I already sent details of my order via e-mail, as well as including order forms in the box, and yet it seems that whoever took over the e-mail chain didn't realise that I specified cables for both remoulds.

I'm now anxious about what might or might not happen to my rather expensive 'phones...

Has this happened to anyone else???

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #368 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Byt the way, those impressions look very well done. Your monitors shouldn't ave any problems due to the impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm jealous of those impressions. Damn clean. I gotta go get more tomorrow and I hope they look as nice.

Thanks guys
tongue.gif
now I just hope that someone sensible at UM gets back onto my e-mail thread
frown.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #369 of 3,931
I think UM is very busy, taking orders and making our customs
smily_headphones1.gif
, thank to the head-fi effect. I am sure they give a very good services, and just be patience. Yesterday, my Mages are in 'shell' construction phase.

If I am not mistaken, from the UE custom lab video, the are several steps in custom IEM's making, and the steps are tedious.

1) Making silicone casts from our impressions.
2) Impression detailing. Very tedious task,
3) Overall coating with wax, makes the wax impression.
3a) 3D laser scan, and build the cast with SL (stereo-lithography) machine
4) Colloid cast, to create the shell. UV curing
5) Grind off and drill holes through the solid shells
6) Put the drivers, wiring and seal the shell.
7) Put graphics/artworks.
8) Final quality control
9) Shipping
And most for the processes are hands-on. So, our customs are HAND-MADE, and that's why there expensive and time consuming.

YouTube - Behind the Scenes: Ultimate Ears Custom In-ear Monitors Lab

Thank you.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #370 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by abadr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so UM received my impressions & phones (sent off se530 and hf2 for fun);

3 days from UK to China with Fedex Priority.

Now they've been received, things have stopped running so smoothly
frown.gif
frown.gif

It seems that someone else has taken over the e-mail chain, and did not have a clue what was going on - I already sent details of my order via e-mail, as well as including order forms in the box, and yet it seems that whoever took over the e-mail chain didn't realise that I specified cables for both remoulds.

I'm now anxious about what might or might not happen to my rather expensive 'phones...

Has this happened to anyone else???

I'm sure if most of this thread is to go by that it will turn out fine, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you but can understand your worry. I am sending my JH13's (£740) over to them so I'm bricking it
confused_face.gif

Any how, could you answer me a question? What did Fedex cost you? I was just going to use our postal service........ Always thought that Fedex would cost the earth.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #371 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think UM is very busy, taking orders and making our customs
smily_headphones1.gif
, thank to the head-fi effect. I am sure they give a very good services, and just be patience. Yesterday, my Mages are in 'shell' construction phase.

If I am not mistaken, from the UE custom lab video, the are several steps in custom IEM's making, and the steps are tedious.

1) Making silicone casts from our impressions.
2) Impression detailing. Very tedious task,
3) Overall coating with wax, makes the wax impression.
3a) 3D laser scan, and build the cast with SL (stereo-lithography) machine
4) Colloid cast, to create the shell. UV curing
5) Grind off and drill holes through the solid shells
6) Put the drivers, wiring and seal the shell.
7) Put graphics/artworks.
8) Final quality control
9) Shipping
And most for the processes are hands-on. So, our customs are HAND-MADE, and that's why there expensive and time consuming.

YouTube - Behind the Scenes: Ultimate Ears Custom In-ear Monitors Lab

Thank you.

bakhtiar, that's really interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post that. I'll try to be a little more patient in future.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #372 of 3,931
picked up my se530 reshell in the office earlier~ the packaging is..... did um run out of cardboard box?
will post pic after i :eat:

edit : added pix

package
1572.jpg

unbox
1574.jpg

weird graph
1579.jpg

here we go looks pretty clean
1581.jpg

side by side with jh13.... build quality difference is huge
1583.jpg

1584.jpg

notice the reshells have larger canal? they fit more tightly... might ask jh to do the same thing...
1591.jpg

1597.jpg

i asked for dual bore and they insisted on single one..
1600.jpg

only listened for few min, but the soundstage surprised me, that hollow shells do help on part. the impression was completely different from last time when shure sent me replacements.
the bass "feels" tight with the fat canal and tight seal. hmm i might send me jh13 back to adjust the canal diameter..
overall it is still a se530 which i liked in the past,i don't think it sounds like the se530 with black olive,it feels more like with the triflange.

ill give it some more listening later on at night.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #374 of 3,931
transparent green(more clear less green) Thanks MaoDi! He specific put that down in chinese for me and they are terrific indeed!
their build quality is really good, phones give off that sturdy feeling unlike the hollow feeling of jh13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back