Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #376 of 3,931
Hey glad they are back! Awww, looks like you didn't put down you wanted dual bores. But no worries, they should sound more similar to prior being remolded since it used a single bore previously. But i myself prefer dual bores. They look great! No problem on helping with the colour =) Glad i could help.

Grrr desperately waiting for my Twin 5's to get here...what do you guys think about naming the two monitors "Pacify" and "Feral"

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #377 of 3,931
Wow, they look very well built. Hope you're really enjoying them.

UM have received my ear impressions. I will be getting my Klipsch Custom 3 remolded and I ordered the UM Mage. Will be posting pics and impressions when I receive them.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #379 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what kind of turn around time does this remold process take?

2-3 weeks for the remolding. Also plan on a week or two for shipping them there, and a few days to get them shipped back. The overall process door to door will probably be 1-2 months.

(This is all covered a couple of pages back in this thread, BTW.)

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #380 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
picked up my se530 reshell in the office earlier~ the packaging is..... did um run out of cardboard box?
will post pic after i :eat:

only listened for few min, but the soundstage surprised me, that hollow shells do help on part. the impression was completely different from last time when shure sent me replacements.
the bass "feels" tight with the fat canal and tight seal. hmm i might send me jh13 back to adjust the canal diameter..
overall it is still a se530 which i liked in the past,i don't think it sounds like the se530 with black olive,it feels more like with the triflange.

ill give it some more listening later on at night.

They look realy nice, now I'm happy sending my JH13's to UM. The quality difference even from those pics is scary. Thanks nycdoi
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #382 of 3,931
I sent out my superFi 5 pros to get remolded about a month ago, UM shipped them back yesterday and I'm receiving them on monday. I'm fairly new to the head-fi scene, I've only had two IEMs, superFis were my second pair. I really loved them and couldn't justify more expensive alternatives. The outer case had started chipping apart and the cables would pop off really easy so I was really happy to find about the remolding process UM provides. So far the whole thing has been painless. It did take a whole month but I had good communication with Sam and really never worried. I Can't wait for the customs to arrive I'm really eager to "feel" the difference, I don't think they'll sound completely different.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #383 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? You're sending your JH13s for remolding? Seriously?

Seriously....

Never been 100% happy with the fit and very disappointed with the finish especially the tips. Sound is something else but I was expecting a better finished product for $1100.

I know I'm taking a bit of a risk but I'm outside the refit period with JHA anyway so may as well pay someone else cuz I can't see the finish being any better at JHA. Also getting Westone connections as I here good things of the ES cables (ordered from Freq City).

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #384 of 3,931
I know the JHA build quality is not really good. I myself is not 100% happy with my JH13s either. However, there are 2 points I think I do notice that it might change the sound if you decide to remold your JH13.

First, the JH13's earbores are always longer than any other custom IEMs I've seen. Not sure if this would affect anything but I think it's one of the factors that offer the excellent bass for the JH13s. All the UMs' earbores are pretty short and big, not sure if I'll like that. My JH13s fit perfectly and if my remold SE530s look different, not sure if it would fit as good as the JH13s.

Second, the arrangement of the drivers in the earpieces. You might argue that as long as they squeeze all the drivers into the earpieces, the sound would be fine. Personally I think it's something special that only JHA knows.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #385 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My purple X10's are done. Sam sent me an email today. They still need to ship back from China, possibly via Null Audio in Singapore. So probably still a couple of weeks before they'll be in my ears.

I asked Sam if he has pictures. If so, I'll edit this post and add them. If not I'll post pictures and a mini review when they get to me.

I'd appreciate it too, also ordered purple. Just heard my SE530 are ready to ship, will post with 1st impressions and pics. They said it would take 2-3 weeks for the re-shell and it took just over 2. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and their communication..

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #386 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey glad they are back! Awww, looks like you didn't put down you wanted dual bores. But no worries, they should sound more similar to prior being remolded since it used a single bore previously. But i myself prefer dual bores. They look great! No problem on helping with the colour =) Glad i could help.

Grrr desperately waiting for my Twin 5's to get here...what do you guys think about naming the two monitors "Pacify" and "Feral"

i did put it down under special request... they either ignored it or has to be single bore

i shipped it on oct 12 and they received it on 20th. paid on nov 6th and they shipped it the same day. received it 5days later. making it total 30days.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #387 of 3,931
Quote:

I know the JHA build quality is not really good. I myself is not 100% happy with my JH13s either. However, there are 2 points I think I do notice that it might change the sound if you decide to remold your JH13.

First, the JH13's earbores are always longer than any other custom IEMs I've seen. Not sure if this would affect anything but I think it's one of the factors that offer the excellent bass for the JH13s. All the UMs' earbores are pretty short and big, not sure if I'll like that. My JH13s fit perfectly and if my remold SE530s look different, not sure if it would fit as good as the JH13s.

Second, the arrangement of the drivers in the earpieces. You might argue that as long as they squeeze all the drivers into the earpieces, the sound would be fine. Personally I think it's something special that only JHA knows.

Valid points Lil Knight and I still have an offer on the table for $150 from Brittany including colour change, oh man......

They are packaged up in my car as I never got chance to post them out today. I'll think about it over the weekend, appreciate your views. Thanks.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #388 of 3,931
Well, $150 is not a bad offer since the cost of remold + shipping both way is approximately 150$. You can still have the warranty from JH and as you see the post above, I'm not 100% sure if UM will follow your instruction to make the dual bores which the JH13s have.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #389 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I'm taking a bit of a risk but I'm outside the refit period with JHA anyway so may as well pay someone else cuz I can't see the finish being any better at JHA. Also getting Westone connections as I here good things of the ES cables (ordered from Freq City).

Bigger risk is the loss of the 2-year warranty IMO.

Quote:

First, the JH13's earbores are always longer than any other custom IEMs I've seen. Not sure if this would affect anything but I think it's one of the factors that offer the excellent bass for the JH13s.

That was in the past. Most new JH13s I've seen have much shorter bores than yours did. It seems shorter bores are a common thing with the Otterbox 13's (as opposed to long-bores with the carbon fiber case era). Jerry suggested that the bore length didn't have any real effect on sound, though you're right that driver placement is crucial (but I think UM knows what they're doing).

Plus, the frequency response graph UM sends back is INVALUABLE for a JH13 owner.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #390 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by hammck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd appreciate it too, also ordered purple. Just heard my SE530 are ready to ship, will post with 1st impressions and pics. They said it would take 2-3 weeks for the re-shell and it took just over 2. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and their communication..

You might get yours before I get mine, since mine are being routed through Singapore (to get a cable added by Null Audio). Sam didn't send me pictures, so assume he shipped them off without taking any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back