Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #1,876 of 3,931
They are amazing SpudHarris.. Mine will be shipped before 25th. I hope they would be flawless like yours.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #1,877 of 3,931
I'm sure they will be. I'm thinking of getting the JH13's redone also. The UM W6's are everything I had hoped the JH13's were going to be but to be truthful I was a little underwhelmed by the finish of the JH13's.

UM's quality is outstanding!

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #1,878 of 3,931
Oh those look absolutely stunning. I'm glad they turned out great for you and possibly exceeding expectations.

I think in around a month or so I should have enough to go with UM. I asked them if I could just buy the drivers and send it to them instead of a um3x and they said that's fine so that would save me probably around $200.

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #1,880 of 3,931
Well, I've had a while listening with the W6's (W3 + 3 Drivers) and have to say that they beat the JH13's on every level. I like details and although I'm unsure of the driver types they added I can tell you that these are true 'Monitors'. Every last nuance of detail is there but not at the expense of musicality, they make you want to keep on listening. I'm not brilliant with words but these will be my 'Go To' IEM's from now on.

In case you haven't gathered, asthetics are also important to me and just to reiterate the finish on mine is absolutely 1st rate. I have the order form on my desktop to send my JH13's off so I have a decent back up set of customs, even if they aren't quite as good at least when they come back they'll look nicer......

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #1,881 of 3,931

Quote:
Oh those look absolutely stunning. I'm glad they turned out great for you and possibly exceeding expectations.

I think in around a month or so I should have enough to go with UM. I asked them if I could just buy the drivers and send it to them instead of a um3x and they said that's fine so that would save me probably around $200.

Whoa! So, you're buying armatures from Knowles? How did you choose which ones to buy (the ones some iem uses or your own blend)? You're sending them to UM and telling them to tune them to a given Freq. response curve?

Looking at the curves of a bunch of iems somebody posted a while back, I think everyone who saw them noticed that some iems had funny dips in the response that was (I imagine) covered by the crossover or some other bit of engineering magic. I wanted to hear your thoughts on that since I imagine you've been thinking about it! 

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #1,882 of 3,931
Are the W6 still more or less "fun" in terms of signature? I don't like using that kind of term but can't think of anything else to describe it. I read somewhere that they became more neutral in signature.

@Kunlun: I'm thinking about it but I'll have to do some more reading first. The UM3X uses pretty popular drivers so it's not hard to get them. You get can get them mouser and probably the cheapest since you can buy them at single units instead of digikey where there's a minimum order of 3. It would be the same as sending in just a UM3X I'd imagine since they do the crossover and all of that with the 3 additional drivers. I'm just not really liking the idea of dropping 300 or so just to use it for the drivers but if I already owned them it wouldn't be as big an issue but I don't.

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #1,883 of 3,931
@Rawster, cool, definitely interested in a update when you are closer to pulling the trigger. I was thinking about the tuning because I thought I recalled someone asking UM to tune their mage so it had a bit more bass and it came back sounding terrible according to the owner, so it seemed like a tricky process. I was wondering what would happen if one asked for a sound sig that was close to an equal loudness contour and asked the engineers to listen and see if it sounded like crap before sending it back... Anyway, just sending in the armatures and letting UM handle it normally otherwise sounds like a safe bet and the UM house sound seems close to your prefered sound (although, I'm surprised you aren't going for the ES5, it seems perfect for you).

Also, I'll look forward to hearing more about the livewires when you get them back.

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #1,884 of 3,931

Quote:
Well, I've had a while listening with the W6's (W3 + 3 Drivers) and have to say that they beat the JH13's on every level. I like details and although I'm unsure of the driver types they added I can tell you that these are true 'Monitors'. Every last nuance of detail is there but not at the expense of musicality, they make you want to keep on listening. I'm not brilliant with words but these will be my 'Go To' IEM's from now on.

In case you haven't gathered, asthetics are also important to me and just to reiterate the finish on mine is absolutely 1st rate. I have the order form on my desktop to send my JH13's off so I have a decent back up set of customs, even if they aren't quite as good at least when they come back they'll look nicer......

Your new customs are gorgeous. I'd like to hear a more detailed comparison between them and the jh13.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #1,885 of 3,931
Hi Guys,

I am planning to go for an azure shell and a black faceplate. I remember seeing an image of this before, just cant seem to find it now
biggrin.gif

Do you guys have a link to the image ?

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #1,886 of 3,931
I think this is the page you are looking for: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443197/unique-melody-remold-appreciation-and-impressions-thread/720

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #1,888 of 3,931

I haven't posted here for awhile, got my SE530's remolded by UM and was very happy with the fit and mostly happy with the sound.
But now, the bass frequency on the right side has stopped. The question is now, getting them reshelled again, though this time I should grab the opportunity and get a few more drivers in there as treble (and to a lesser extent, bass) are not as well represented in these phones as the mids are.

Any advice on which and the amount, of new drivers UM like to put in a 530? Obviously new bass drivers are needed…any info greatly appreciated.
Or of course, should I just chuck 'em and start again??

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #1,889 of 3,931
I should re-phrase my question, Is there a noticeable increase in SQ with a reshelled SE530 with added drivers? My SE530 right channel has lost it's bass driver and I'm tossing up whether to get it reshelled again with added drivers, or head to the UM6 instead..

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #1,890 of 3,931
I started with the PFE with grey filters, they broke so i tried the SE530 for a bit and didnt think they were a huge step up on the PFE.  So i went with the IE8 for some fun and found it too veiled and mid oriented, but so much fun.

I went out on a limb and got the Miracles, thinking that i would lose the fun, but get sparkling mids and highs.  I was mega wrong...the Miracles are just that...the sound sig that i've been chasing...beautiful mids, and sparkly highs, very nice separation and a soundstage that has me not missing the IE8's at all...oh...and you definitely dont miss any bass...the bass is strong,
deep, powerful and abundant. 

going from the IE8 to the custom IEM...i'm super happy with the isolation...which i missed about the PFE's, still one of my favourite phones and I would recommend to anyone since they've fixed their issues with build quality. As for now, I'm content...but who knows when the bug will bite again!?

My two cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back