Unique Melody Newest Flagship-- Mason Fabled Sound Special Edition/Mason Fusang CIEM&UIEM
Jan 18, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #1,186 of 1,311
I am very interested in the indigo-like new FS. I hope to be able to audition it sometime, possibly during the incoming NYC Canjam.
Cmon Jiawei! Pretend to not be interested so we can stop justifying these ridiculous prices :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . Just cause Traillii was a relative success at its price point doesn't mean its fair to keep pushing the price boundary for new stuff.

Less we buy and set a hard market limit, hopefully the quicker manufacturers will take note. But of course I can't speak for the buying culture in Asia, etc.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #1,187 of 1,311
guys i have a question with FS, what kinda ear tips did you guys use the most really want to know :) im using crystal alza right know but im wondering if i can get a better ear tips for FS

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #1,188 of 1,311
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #1,189 of 1,311
what is good about it really wanna know, and what size will be great to buy, i normally use size M for alza

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,190 of 1,311
what is good about it really wanna know, and what size will be great to buy, i normally use size M for alza
They are oval shaped, so they fit into the ears really nicely and also deeper than Alza. Also, they are more silky feeling, instead of sticky, so, for me at least, they are much easier to insert.

The only thing is they run quite small. I normally use S Azla, and I needed M Eartunes for FS. With my Traillii I needed L.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #1,191 of 1,311
I have settled on Acoustune AET07 tips. I use same size as Azla (M for me). It has a good solid core that hold to the nozzle which I think helps with BCD and bass, and a very soft umbrella that helps with the seal. I like Symbio W peel too.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #1,192 of 1,311
Few updates about the new dBC. This time the whole system works like a hybrid of bone conduction and planar( both physical structure and sound). The supporting panel is 20% larger than the previous version, and now the the driver ceramic layers are upgraded from 15 to 27 layers.

So this time the dBC will be the main player here, all BAs will play around the dBC system. The thicker layers will provide more and deeper bass than any previous version. In terms of tuning, FS would still be the king of vocals and acoustics, Red Halo would be more versitle.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,193 of 1,311
Few updates about the new dBC. This time the whole system works like a hybrid of bone conduction and planar( both physical structure and sound). The supporting panel is 20% larger than the previous version, and now the the driver ceramic layers are upgraded from 15 to 27 layers.

So this time the dBC will be the main player here, all BAs will play around the dBC system. The thicker layers will provide more and deeper bass than any previous version. In terms of tuning, FS would still be the king of vocals and acoustics, Red Halo would be more versitle.

So this is a different dBC compared to what is used in any of the previous UM IEMs?

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #1,194 of 1,311
Some general learnings from the last two years as UM iterated on the MEST and Mason:

1. Newer does NOT mean it's better: the Indigo is measurably darker than the MKII and then the MKI, and that can actually make it less capable of a monitor.
2. Similarly, higher price does NOT mean it's better (though newer seems to imply ever increasing prices 🚀)
3. How quickly "flagships" lose their status, and how "exclusive" special editions actually are feels like a joke.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,195 of 1,311
Some general learnings from the last two years as UM iterated on the MEST and Mason:

1. Newer does NOT mean it's better: the Indigo is measurably darker than the MKII and then the MKI, and that can actually make it less capable of a monitor.
2. Similarly, higher price does NOT mean it's better (though newer seems to imply ever increasing prices 🚀)
3. How quickly "flagships" lose their status, and how "exclusive" special editions actually are feels like a joke.
What what is worth, the indigo is noticeably better than MEST OG and MKii to me, and this seems to be the case for many users as well. 🤭

I tend to agree with 2 and 3.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,196 of 1,311

Interesting, I find the Indigo brighter than the MKII in the lower trebles.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #1,197 of 1,311
Just wanna know have anyone tried out the Mason FS with metropolis ft 50 combo, recently got mine FS and I pair it up with Metropolis ft50 the sound became a bit more v shape than the original cable with a bit brightening in treble and the bass became tighter and feel the bounce.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #1,198 of 1,311
So this is a different dBC compared to what is used in any of the previous UM IEMs?
Different design, different materials... So yes they are different.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #1,199 of 1,311

Interesting! Is it also the case that FS will have the dBC on the faceplate (like the current Mason FS) and Red Halo will have dBC on the side like the Indigo? What is UM's thought on sound impact from the placement of dBC? Different frequency range? span?

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,200 of 1,311
Just wanted to let you all know I am selling my Mason FS. Stunning IEM, just in the end not quite what I am looking for longterm as my daily driver. Some fit issues also, I am still considering getting a custom made. If I had lots of money I would keep it, but alas I don't :)

Thank you all for your advice, and feedback during my journey with these.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/um-mason-fabled-sound-se-2-weeks-old.18418/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back