Unique Melody Merlin Impressions Thread (All review and impression links located in the 1st and 2nd posts. Pics in posts 3 and 4)
Apr 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #77 of 207
I use drastically modded "tri-flange" wraps and they make big difference - perfect isolation = subbass shines.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #79 of 207
Well, odd ears? Whenever I did any customs (IEMs or tips) there was always something wrong. UM were the closest (great fit) and the wraps just added the perfect seal - I can live with that :wink:

May 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #81 of 207
Hello, Marcus here again. I had to wait for the weekend to post those promised photos:

I had posted whole review in some Korean forums, but I guess I'll just post some brief impressions against Hidition NT6, which is my reference IEM at the time.

So, the first impressions about Merlin was the powerful bass. However they didn't mask much of the other frequency ranges.
It was little bit bright while I imagined it to be more darker, or warmer, even though it was known for CIEM for bassheads. Actually It was quite balanced, little bit V-shaped. Sound signature was also somewhat similar to NT6, although the Merlin was more exciting in terms of sound. So it excels NT6 in some regards, especially in electronic musics.
I guess mid-range was little bit recessed, but not much. It was pretty good listening to some classical pieces. Also sometimes it was a bit sibilant, but also not much. overall UM had it really well balanced, while having a powerful bass coming from the dynamic driver.

Oh, also the fit was perfect. I was worried about re-fit because it actually took a lot of time coming to Korea. Well it's not the case for me. Another thing was finishing. The finishing of the shell itself was superb, but I guess the nozzle could have been better. However finishing of the cables were not that great. Fortunately I had already purchased the Silver Sonic MKV from Stephen, and it's quality is quite phenomenal.

Overall, it was $800 + $180 very well spent. Also Stephen was a very nice guy. The best guy. Even though it took me whole 8 weeks, it's okay purely because of Stephen. I want to thank him once again.

It actually makes me wonder about Miracle, having tasted one of UM's product. Maybe the other time, maybe.

May 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #84 of 207
Quote:

They look fantastic mate!

Many thanks! I think UM did a fantastic job of making my one.

Quote:
Very interesting, so what are your final thoughts vs nt6. I would have thought the nt6 to be superior technically, being much more expensive.

I find NT6 be overall better in terms of sound for me, but not the build quality. Hidition makes them extrude a bit from your ear, making them easier to pull off, but heavier and bulkier. Also my NT6 is a little bit tighter in terms of fitting compared to Merlin, but I made them with two individual ear impressions, so I wouldn't know for sure.

As a Korean, I can get NT6 about cost of about $200 more than Merlin's, unlike $400 out of Korea. So in Korea if you can afford it, IMO NT6 would be better. Not really sure if it would worth $400  more. If it still contains Hidition Upgrade Cables, which is sold separately for about $150 here in Korea, it would be worth it. However I'm not really sure as they are discontinued.

It's quite hard to compare them directly as the bass of Merlin is a completely different monster. If you're going to listen only to electronics, I'd say Merlin is better. If not, and if you're looking for something of reference, NT6 would be better choice overall. Oh and waiting time for Hidition is usually much shorter for some reason.

Edit: also this is my NT6, if you somewhat want to see build quality yourself. I would prefer to post them on NT6 thread, but it seems to have died away a long time ago.

May 5, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #85 of 207
My Merlins will hopefully be done soon! Reading your review makes me super excited, because I'm looking for exactly what you just described.

May 5, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #86 of 207
Thanks for the detailed reply. I might get the nt6 when I come to Seoul.
Many thanks! I think UM did a fantastic job of making my one.

I find NT6 be overall better in terms of sound for me, but not the build quality. Hidition makes them extrude a bit from your ear, making them easier to pull off, but heavier and bulkier. Also my NT6 is a little bit tighter in terms of fitting compared to Merlin, but I made them with two individual ear impressions, so I wouldn't know for sure.

As a Korean, I can get NT6 about cost of about $200 more than Merlin's, unlike $400 out of Korea. So in Korea if you can afford it, IMO NT6 would be better. Not really sure if it would worth $400  more. If it still contains Hidition Upgrade Cables, which is sold separately for about $150 here in Korea, it would be worth it. However I'm not really sure as they are discontinued.

It's quite hard to compare them directly as the bass of Merlin is a completely different monster. If you're going to listen only to electronics, I'd say Merlin is better. If not, and if you're looking for something of reference, NT6 would be better choice overall. Oh and waiting time for Hidition is usually much shorter for some reason.

Edit: also this is my NT6, if you somewhat want to see build quality yourself. I would prefer to post them on NT6 thread, but it seems to have died away a long time ago.

May 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #87 of 207
May 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #88 of 207
Quote:
My Merlins will hopefully be done soon! Reading your review makes me super excited, because I'm looking for exactly what you just described.

I also hope it will be soon in your ears too! Even though there were some hiccups here and there, buying them were a pleasant experience.

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply. I might get the nt6 when I come to Seoul.

If you arrive at Seoul, and determined to buy NT6 and some nice cable, let me know. I'll hook you up to some local indie cable makers.
I'm saying this because the default Hidition cables are know for it's bad durability and build quality, although I think UM's cables were worse, in my case.

May 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #90 of 207
In case someone is interested, some neat measurement (and photos) on Merlin is up!

You can see it on here.

Even though it's completely written in Korean, it wouldn't be too much of a problem appreciating these nice photos.

Yes, they're my pairs loaned for measurement. I do know there's a plot of graph included with packaging, however I'd say they're quite different from what you really hear.
Yes, I do know that FR curve doesn't represent everything about one's sound, but it does give people a slight chance of what it would sound like.

So even though it's somewhat a ghetto set-up, It works pretty handly. And I thought it would be nice to have some more 'scientific' info.

Also, the 'Silver Cable' mentioned in the article is Beat Audio Silver Sonic MKV, in case you want to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back