Unique Melody Merlin Impressions Thread (All review and impression links located in the 1st and 2nd posts. Pics in posts 3 and 4)
May 21, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #106 of 207
Quote:
Great impressions DragonOwen! You have one hell of a setup too.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Will get TWcu2 tomorrow, very interested how Merlin will sound with it... if I will like TWag2 Gold more (based on what I read it's very possible situation), no problem, ordered Miracle about a week ago so TWcu2 will be waiting for them (in terms of outer appearance it will be great to have TWag2 Gold with Merlins (white cable, titan faceplates) and TWcu2 with Miracles (black cable, my Miracles will have black carbon faceplates with custom metal insertions), but the sound is main priority, so have to listen to both combinations before making the decision...)

May 21, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #107 of 207
Will be interesting to read your comparison between Merlin and Miracle!

May 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #108 of 207
Has anyone tried the Merlin with an HTC One?  How about a Fiio E17?  I'm in the market for both a new phone and a cheap-ish portable amp/DAC and want something that will play nicely with my Merlins.

May 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #110 of 207
Has anyone tried the Merlin with an HTC One?  How about a Fiio E17?  I'm in the market for both a new phone and a cheap-ish portable amp/DAC and want something that will play nicely with my Merlins.

Fiio E17 is great. However I can't find any data about HTC One. Still with the impedance characteristic of Merlin, if it has higher output impedance it will boost up a bit of sub-bass to bass.

May 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #111 of 207
I hope you guys could help me with my decision. I'm planning on getting the merlins but I'm just not sure if the sound is what I'm looking for. 
I listen mostly to metal/rock genres and I know bass heavy iems aren't really needed for these kind of songs but I do like my bass to have good extension and texture. I read that the merlins are a little relaxed in their presentation, so this has me a little worried. I'm currently rocking a pair of heir audio 4.ai. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #113 of 207
Also, another question.

I've been noticing channel unbalance, where I get more audio out of my left ear than my right.  I've attributed it to the way some of my music is mixed, but I just tried out switching to mono from stereo and the unbalance persisted.  I've tested several different sources as well.  I don't think it's related to fit.  Aside from sending them back to UM to be checked out, does anyone know any tricks to test/diagnose/fix this issue?

EDIT:  I just removed the cable from the right monitor and plugged it back in, and may have fixed it.  Holy crap, that sounds a lot better, OMG.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #114 of 207
Quote:

EDIT:  I just removed the cable from the right monitor and plugged it back in, and may have fixed it.  Holy crap, that sounds a lot better, OMG.

It's the simple things in life that are the greatest!

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #115 of 207
Alright I still think I have some significant channel imbalance.  Has anyone else experienced this with their Merlins?  I don't have a top quality source available to me; the best I've got is a Fiio E7+E9 combo, which ought to be good enough to not produce channel imbalance at reasonable listening volumes...right?  I get the channel imbalance when plugged directly into my phone, laptop, or any other source I have.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions of things to try, let me know!  These might need to go back across the pacific to be looked at, because I just don't feel like adjusting the L/R balance every time I want to use my Merlins is acceptable.  It's *possible* that it's a fit/seal problem and not actually channel imbalance, which I have to figure out how to test and rule out.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #116 of 207
Quote:
Alright I still think I have some significant channel imbalance.  Has anyone else experienced this with their Merlins?  I don't have a top quality source available to me; the best I've got is a Fiio E7+E9 combo, which ought to be good enough to not produce channel imbalance at reasonable listening volumes...right?  I get the channel imbalance when plugged directly into my phone, laptop, or any other source I have.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions of things to try, let me know!  These might need to go back across the pacific to be looked at, because I just don't feel like adjusting the L/R balance every time I want to use my Merlins is acceptable.  It's *possible* that it's a fit/seal problem and not actually channel imbalance, which I have to figure out how to test and rule out.

Try inverting the connectors, you'll be able to tell if they sound correctly after listening.  I remember UM made my connectors wrong and I had to switch the cable orientation.  You can tell if they are wrong by the sound stage width and by the way the bass sounds.  So for the right side if the red dot is facing outwards, try making it face inwards to see if it sounds any different. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #117 of 207
I sent my Merlins back to UM for them to check for problems and adjust the fit.  Turned out I just needed another layer of acrylic to beef up one of the monitors.  Stephen Guo responded quickly to emails and UM managed to test and adjust my Merlins very, very quickly. Absolutely top notch, I couldn't be happier with their customer service.  I think they had my monitors in their lab for less than a week before they tested them, made the necessary adjustments and shipped them back to me.  They definitely exceeded my expectations.

I'm trying out the Merlins with the UHA-6S mkII amp (AD8610 op amp), and am really liking what I hear.  Great bass impact and timbre, nice soundstage, excellent clarity.  Highly recommend this combination to anyone looking for an amp with these phones.  If I can get a chance, I'll put together some impressions.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #118 of 207
My Merlins came with two seemingly random triple flange tips that don't appear to be usable with the CIEM in any way.  Does anyone know what these are for and why UM bothered to send them out with the phones?

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #120 of 207

They're musician's earplugs

*googles*

What an odd thing to include with a set of CIEM's.  Well, those are more useful than the crummy case or the glass paperweight accessories that were also included, so...gonna call that a win then?  Awesome earphones, ridiculous accessories.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back