Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Mar 19, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #316 of 850
don't need to worry about isolation, getting the right tip to suit your ear will cancel all that worries and i find mentor is easy to drive even though its 10 drivers but its definitely very unforgiving to bad  music quality than Miracles..:wink:
haha i asked u guys this question beacuse i am gonna reshell a custom miracle that i bought into a universal that is in this mentor shape

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #317 of 850
i'm based on the universal UM mentor. i have the aurisonic ASG-2.. i wouldn't say ASG-2>Mentor in built quality.

For built quality I would say TG334>=Mentor>JH>ASG

It is great to hear the Mentor has great built quality. I had been following with interest and really should go get a demo soon!

Also sometimes built are batch dependent as the case of asg2 where indeed were reports on domestic defects in the earlier batches. Seems fitear and jh has more consistent built quality across models and production batch. My asg2 was custom made with nickel faceplate and not from the retail batches so it might resemble closet to their customs quality:

900x900px-LL-a967a228_2013-10-1204.50.04.jpeg

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #318 of 850
I agree with the above 100%
I had the asg 1.3 and I won't go into the sound :p however I would say that the mentor has it in spades as far as build quality is concerned.

The isolation using the provided comply tips is fantastic. Not that of a full custom but very good. (Used them for 2 hours commuting home tonight on a diesel train)

I also agree with above, the asg fit in my ear perfectly whereas I find the mentor takes some work getting it in my ear comfortably, and even once in it sits quite a ways out of my ear. Once the comply tips expand I then actually back the mentors out of my ear canal a little making then super comfy while still sealing but even further having them jut out even further from my ears. Lol they almost look like big Bluetooth iems lol

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #323 of 850
I cant get customs cos my ear shape is still changing.. haizz. And i am very anal about the fit of universals haha

If you need the universal and are picky about the fit it would be best if you can demo the universal version first. My 3DD was very large and hard to wear, and I'm very used to big/protruding IEMs like the tg334 or tralucent 1plus2. You can see the size comparison in my post above. It does looks to me the Mentor is not as large but still seems much larger than asg2.

FYI if I'm to get the 3DD again or the Mentor, I would definitely go for the custom version. Fit is part of the reason but the larger concern is that UM's "universal version" seems just like a demo pair and not really redesigned to sound the same as their custom. For Fitear MH334 and TG334, while using the same drivers, they have totally different housing and sound bores design. Even ASG2 was rearranged and shelled in such a way it would sit flush on your ears.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #324 of 850
If you need the universal and are picky about the fit it would be best if you can demo the universal version first. My 3DD was very large and hard to wear, and I'm very used to big/protruding IEMs like the tg334 or tralucent 1plus2. You can see the size comparison in my post above. It does looks to me the Mentor is not as large but still seems much larger than asg2.

FYI if I'm to get the 3DD again or the Mentor, I would definitely go for the custom version. Fit is part of the reason but the larger concern is that UM's "universal version" seems just like a demo pair and not really redesigned to sound the same as their custom. For Fitear MH334 and TG334, while using the same drivers, they have totally different housing and sound bores design. Even ASG2 was rearranged and shelled in such a way it would sit flush on your ears.
i am asking um now if they could reshell my customs into fitear 334 shape hahaha

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #325 of 850
i am asking um now if they could reshell my customs into fitear 334 shape hahaha

The key to tg334 is the titanium sound bores which is used exclusively in Fitears' universal models, so it is not as simple as just shaping it and fitting the drivers inside.

I'm also really looking forward to comparison of the custom vs universal JH roxanne to see how closely (or not) they perform. But based on early comments it seems it is warmer than I want as I have a few warm type IEMs and the Mentor still seems to fit what I want to get in terms of FR.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #327 of 850

I'm frankly amazed to see you put fitear and jh together, in terms of perceived consistency of build quality
blink.gif

YES!! LOL!! JH is the worst!! 2 out of 10 CIEMs will be HQ, where all of Fitear are way super HQ hehehe even way better then UM.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #329 of 850
I'm frankly amazed to see you put fitear and jh together, in terms of perceived consistency of build quality :blink:

Lol maybe I got lucky with them? Perfect 3 for 3 but my old jh5 did had fit issues, and I had the JHs for longer than my one fitear...

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #330 of 850
  I thought that UM would not re-shell a universal Mentor into a custom. I must be mistaken, has UM confirmed they will make into a custom?

This was a concern of mine when I first ordered the universal from Stephen; however he said that it was possible to have them re-shelled as customs if I wanted to later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back