Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Jan 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #241 of 850
just got a message from a friend who had Mentor demo and K10 for while, the Mentor's Treble sparkle more where the K10's Treble is smother and relaxed yet extend more, i guess i was right to go with the Mentor after all <3 , bye bye K10 >=) 

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #242 of 850

biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #244 of 850
So far the Mentor has about 100hrs of usage (mostly during my sleep time, just left it running)

Bass seems to be better in depth compared to the first 5-10 hours
treble isnt as bright as the 1plus2, but the mentor is general has a slightly darker sound sig compared to the 1+2, and a thicker, more spacious, layered sound, whereas the 1+2 is great in it's clarity

i found that when paired with the right amp, the mentor's performance can improve rather noticeably (more so than 1+2). Better dynamics, top/bot extension.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #245 of 850
also a silver cable should make it even better, waiting for the Widow like crazy :< the gold cable isn't the best for the mentor, nor the copper cable, must be a silver.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #246 of 850
  also a silver cable should make it even better, waiting for the Widow like crazy :< the gold cable isn't the best for the mentor, nor the copper cable, must be a silver.

but the silver widow is also silver/gold alloy

lets see how the SW will sound on the Mentor, so far the pure Silver Litz is the best imo

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #247 of 850
Feb 1, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #248 of 850
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #249 of 850
I have noticed the shell color looks like translucent black indoor, but just now when i took off the mentor out on the sun, the shell actually looks midnight blue

anyone else's Mentor is the same?

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #250 of 850
I have noticed the shell color looks like translucent black indoor, but just now when i took off the mentor out on the sun, the shell actually looks midnight blue

anyone else's Mentor is the same?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/696358/unique-melody-mentor-debut-in-tokyo-e-earphone-festival/105#post_10164553

Yes. But no one likes to dwell on me complaining :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #251 of 850
http://www.head-fi.org/t/696358/unique-melody-mentor-debut-in-tokyo-e-earphone-festival/105#post_10164553

Yes. But no one likes to dwell on me complaining
smily_headphones1.gif

actually i think its quite nice, LOL

most of the time it looks traslucent black
probably upon exposure to sun light, it becomes blueish

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #252 of 850
Just ordered a universal from the Global Shop.
Ordered a silver cable also from Chris.

Will pair it from my Geek Out coming this end of February ( I hope)

Will see...

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #253 of 850
actually i think its quite nice, LOL

most of the time it looks traslucent black
probably upon exposure to sun light, it becomes blueish

heh, here's the thing...granted, not everyone is extremely ocd about their $1300 IEMs. but.

=) your one also has the semi transparent black faceplates showing one driver one one side instead of solid opaque black like on the product page, right? (actually mine shows more on one side, less on another). Do you think it looks great too and 'adds character'?
I dunno what the deal is there but I'd probably say:
a) they pre-fabbed a set of the faceplate (unequal or not enough black dye or something? (i was told before - too much takes too long to dry?) - hence why they show through the facepate.
b) didn't QC them, and then it continued to be used even after the initial impressions earlier on. or
c) maybe mount the drivers at slightly different depth per earpiece (hence why they'd show up to a different degree on each faceplate).

I don't think basic aesthetic appeal appeal is too much to ask for. :rolleyes:

pretty sure the pic there is showing the same thing for the faceplate (next to the UM logo when zoomed in). and there was another one a few pages back.

How about the milling on the nozzles (dodgy ?). Is it that difficult to reject the scratched ones or request to re-polish them? Probably not.

=) I think vendors of luxury goods (very high standards/ocd) ($1300) need to be publicly beaten senseless with a large stick if they veer off the stated quality, customer service or product description (or even implied product qualities).

Stephen is generally good even to high standards and I believe he is likely to treat people unknown to him to the same level of service as reviewers or existing customers, and is consistently getting good stated build times from UMLab. And UMLab do a great job on having no bubles in the shell and polished finishes. The acrylic will get a bit scuffed after about a year of use, but what wouldn't.

I think Stephen can (and probably does and ) should beat the lab up about QC and attention to detail specifics like the faceplate transparency bits, nozzles, etc but it's probably tricky jugging orders, customers and UMLab with many 'dealers customers'. I actually think (from previous experience) you (I, or person X) can express your dissatisfaction about some of the above and he will agree to fix it if you hate it probably with a pretty good turnaround time and reasonable terms re shipping costs.

I hold UM to an even higher standard given they've had prior 'incidents' :D (e.g. the BS semitransparent black faceplates instead of opaque). I'm intentionally grilling them about it here because I've previous had to return my stuff to UM and dislike rework where it should be avoided. Likewise I hate it even more when the same issue recurs, especially if I experience it as a repeat customer.

If you talk about kittens and rainbows all the time, interesting issues arise with quality, customer service, (anarchy) etc that I don't want to be on the receiving end of. If UM amends the product description/pics ('your milling can be dodgy, and your faceplate might not be opaque when you ask for opaque'), stop bring stingy and add some foam tips -> oh wow they did... and maybe DF or TF ones clearly state the return policy for universals on the website etc (yep they've done that on ciem com) I'd be happy :) . ^ see they do listen and I do say positive things.

That said while I have my Mentor for sale, I'm thinking I might withdraw it and sell the jh16fp instead. I switched to JH16FP for a day, The lower mids on JH now seem honky and I miss the general mids detail of mentor soon after picking up JH.
Plus the bass on Mentor when eqed matches JH but is clearer (less upper bass and faster) and more effortless while as more or as impactful when required. (or more neutral without EQ)

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #254 of 850
heh, here's the thing...granted, not everyone is extremely ocd about their $1300 IEMs. but.

=) your one also has the semi transparent black faceplates showing one driver one one side instead of solid opaque black like on the product page, right? (actually mine shows more on one side, less on another). Do you think it looks great too and 'adds character'?
I dunno what the deal is there but I'd probably say:
a) they pre-fabbed a set of the faceplate (unequal or not enough black dye or something? (i was told before - too much takes too long to dry?) - hence why they show through the facepate.
b) didn't QC them, and then it continued to be used even after the initial impressions earlier on. or
c) maybe mount the drivers at slightly different depth per earpiece (hence why they'd show up to a different degree on each faceplate).

I don't think basic aesthetic appeal appeal is too much to ask for.
rolleyes.gif

pretty sure the pic there is showing the same thing for the faceplate (next to the UM logo when zoomed in). and there was another one a few pages back.

How about the milling on the nozzles (dodgy ?). Is it that difficult to reject the scratched ones or request to re-polish them? Probably not.

=) I think vendors of luxury goods (very high standards/ocd) ($1300) need to be publicly beaten senseless with a large stick if they veer off the stated quality, customer service or product description (or even implied product qualities).

Stephen is generally good even to high standards and I believe he is likely to treat people unknown to him to the same level of service as reviewers or existing customers, and is consistently getting good stated build times from UMLab. And UMLab do a great job on having no bubles in the shell and polished finishes. The acrylic will get a bit scuffed after about a year of use, but what wouldn't.

I think Stephen can (and probably does and ) should beat the lab up about QC and attention to detail specifics like the faceplate transparency bits, nozzles, etc but it's probably tricky jugging orders, customers and UMLab with many 'dealers customers'. I actually think (from previous experience) you (I, or person X) can express your dissatisfaction about some of the above and he will agree to fix it if you hate it probably with a pretty good turnaround time and reasonable terms re shipping costs.

I hold UM to an even higher standard given they've had prior 'incidents'
biggrin.gif
(e.g. the BS semitransparent black faceplates instead of opaque). I'm intentionally grilling them about it here because I've previous had to return my stuff to UM and dislike rework where it should be avoided. Likewise I hate it even more when the same issue recurs, especially if I experience it as a repeat customer.

If you talk about kittens and rainbows all the time, interesting issues arise with quality, customer service, (anarchy) etc that I don't want to be on the receiving end of. If UM amends the product description/pics ('your milling can be dodgy, and your faceplate might not be opaque when you ask for opaque'), stop bring stingy and add some foam tips -> oh wow they did... and maybe DF or TF ones clearly state the return policy for universals on the website etc (yep they've done that on ciem com) I'd be happy
smily_headphones1.gif
. ^ see they do listen and I do say positive things.

That said while I have my Mentor for sale, I'm thinking I might withdraw it and sell the jh16fp instead. I switched to JH16FP for a day, The lower mids on JH now seem honky and I miss the general mids detail of mentor soon after picking up JH.
Plus the bass on Mentor when eqed matches JH but is clearer (less upper bass and faster) and more effortless while as more or as impactful when required. (or more neutral without EQ)

on mine, i think the left side flaceplate is completely opaque (looks like it unless with normal inspection), the right side, near the U part of the UM logo, i cantly kind of see through a little, but honestly, with daily usual handling, putting on and taking off, the finger prints kind of hides the trasnaprency away, LOL

my top concern is the SQ, but of course as an highly priced item, the QC should be better

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #255 of 850

Wow that's some quick decisions :wink: I would suggest give both a bit longer to determine which one is more suitable for you before selling one of them.

To my ears, Mentor has more linear and neutral bass and mid response than JH16 FP. Both has flaws in the treble region. For vocals, I think I would actually pick JH16 over mentor. But for anything else, I will reach out mentor first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back