Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #61 of 850
sooo anyone know what the return policy is like for the universals? (conical body, short nozzle - could be a poor fit and seal). Their return policy is no returns and is worded for customs.
edit: that said Stephen is good and did issue me a refund a while ago for a universal but the circumstances were different.
I'd otherwise be curious to compare it to my jh16fp.
also the fb promise of order now get before cn-ny - yea... i dunno if I'd trust that to be honest :) specials and many new UM IEMs-wise and UM history with orders in peak periods.
also - nice metal nozzle and interesting to see recessed westone sockets (?!) on the universal pics. (I like them)

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #62 of 850
I am somehow more attracted to those than the universal Roxanne or the new Noble universals but how much thoughts went into its ergonomic will be the deciding factor. After owning the Stagediver and S-EM6, I know relatively large universal can be very comfortable.
I am not too impressed by the  shape of the Noble universals and I am convinced the fit and confort for me will be poor.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #63 of 850
if i had to choose two CIEMs and get thrown on an island for a year then i will go for the Mentor and K10 :p but not Roxxane cause the mids isn't warm on it and the highs on it are dark.

The K10 got slightly bright Treble which is very nice and extend very well too!! , my Mentor custom waiting time is 4 weeks ;/

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #64 of 850
looks like someone actually ordered and got his UM-Mentor, even as it is being officially launched now

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=729434197075246&set=p.729434197075246&type=1&theater

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #65 of 850
so far on head-fi all did order Universal but me, seems like people had fit issues before :p will each ear isn't the same though, some people didn't ever encounter one fitting problem ever and some get nice fit after doing a refit twice. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #67 of 850
  if i had to choose two CIEMs and get thrown on an island for a year then i will go for the Mentor and K10 :p but not Roxxane cause the mids isn't warm on it and the highs on it are dark.

The K10 got slightly bright Treble which is very nice and extend very well too!! , my Mentor custom waiting time is 4 weeks ;/

Dude, why all the JH hate...? From the Roxanne thread I understand that you got these from first impressions, without actually demoing them. Then, you went for the Mentor without actually seeing any impressions at all... 

I'm not saying that Roxanne is better than K10 or Mentor or vice versa. Just wanna let you know that "warm" and "dark" are entirely subjective and relative to the listeners' own experiences. Plus I've seen people claiming that Roxanne demo being brighter than K10.

Edit: Sorry for the rant, but I just really need to get this point over. I just dislike people bashing one product for another, not to mention, do not own any of them.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #68 of 850
so far on head-fi all did order Universal but me, seems like people had fit issues before :p will each ear isn't the same though, some people didn't ever encounter one fitting problem ever and some get nice fit after doing a refit twice. 

i bought the universal mentor as well.

sort of have the same ear symmetry problem. and i've sold several dozen universals due to fit issues :D
but
some people don't like long acrylic molds in their ears (removal and insertion and general feeling re insertion depth or isolation - e.g. occlusion problems, or hearing your heart-beat or breathing)
(universals are) easier to take out, (ymmv on insertion to get a seal depending on ear and tip)
lose less resale value if you don't like the sound or fit
usually smaller in the size and isolate less (re hearing yourself walk) \
sound wise - tbh I'm not sure there's a difference if you have a good seal/and fit isolation-wise

Dude, why all the JH hate...? From the Roxanne thread I understand that you got these from first impressions, without actually demoing them.

if he's going off 'second hand impressions' meh - but oh well. nothing wrong with thinking it won't fit your sound signature preferences and at any price level sound preferences play a large part. Personally I love my JH16fp, but went for mentor for the same reason (a - universal, b - probably sounds similar bass-wise but with the house UM sound with a twist on top. Having owned or heard a few UM IEMs I'm happy-ish to go on that)

>Then, you went for the Mentor without actually seeing any impressions at all...

I did that too. Well, second hand ones in the first post. wherever they came from. + fr chart.
Weird masochism and borderline insanity on my side :D (I still like my Merlins and liked some of the other UM products, but there's a chance I'll hate Mentor and it'll float into the FS section soon after getting it :D ). I'm counting on Stephen and UMLab to make it on time. nooo pressure :D

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #69 of 850

Dude, why all the JH hate...? From the Roxanne thread I understand that you got these from first impressions, without actually demoing them. Then, you went for the Mentor without actually seeing any impressions at all... 

I'm not saying that Roxanne is better than K10 or Mentor or vice versa. Just wanna let you know that "warm" and "dark" are entirely subjective and relative to the listeners' own experiences. Plus I've seen people claiming that Roxanne demo being brighter than K10.

Edit: Sorry for the rant, but I just really need to get this point over. I just dislike people bashing one product for another, not to mention, do not own any of them.

there is always a reason why people buy a product which is "does it give me what do i need?" JH13 mids isn't warm nor enough for me, the miracle also got dry mids which is boring for me when i listen to female vocals, see i am not bias :3 i will buy what i think it will serve me, about the Roxxane i was going for it + carbon fiber awesome look! the problem i don't want dark treble, so CBA paying 1800 and getting thing i don't like right? nor the mids are warm so i won't pay a lot of money for something that i don't like right?

why the Mentor? i asked Stephen Gou about the mids new drivers and he said they are not the same what so ever, double the price and the sound is warm/smooth in the mids, cause so many people over the last 3 years been asking UM to make the mids warmer, for the treble we got to wait and see it, yet 4 drivers are doing the highs so i am not this afraid.

i hope i cleared you confusion ^^ i don't hate JH, JH13 got better treble than the miracle, i love that, its just the mids on both of them that isn't for me.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #70 of 850
I doubt anyone knows this yet, but i might as well try.

Anyone know if the housing the same size as the new universals? The design is definitely aimilar if not the same, seems unlikely it woyld be the same size though?

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #73 of 850
First post updated to include the universal Mentor size measurements. Scroll to the bottom of the 1st post.
=) speaking of measurements. Stephen said S400 comply tips fit the universal version (in my experience usually means T/TX/S 400/500 all fit). Which is good news for people who prefer foamies.
also that is the usual westone-ish cable, but the sockets are slightly recessed (not much room in the shell)

btw, anyone where of foamies in the same stem size, with a larger length and or width? (comply only seem to make medium sizes ones in 400/500 size. VS say giant T100s). bonus points for wax guards on the said larger equivalent of T/TX4/500 :D

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #74 of 850

UM Mentor in my house <3, the early impression is quite good :)

Waiting for your impressions like crazy mad dog!! :3 thanks god you have K10 too!!! really really can't wait for your impression XD

tell me about the mids on both, i know the K10 got lush sweet warm mids, and i was told the new mid drivers on the Mentor are warm too, can you compare the mids on both please?
also the Treble if possible ^^ thanks in advance :D 

got my eyes on the K10 but i bought the Mentor and waiting for it atm.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #75 of 850

UM Mentor in my house <3, the early impression is quite good :)

Quote:

Waiting for your impressions like crazy mad dog!! :3 thanks god you have K10 too!!! really really can't wait for your impression XD

tell me about the mids on both, i know the K10 got lush sweet warm mids, and i was told the new mid drivers on the Mentor are warm too, can you compare the mids on both please?
also the Treble if possible ^^ thanks in advance :D 

got my eyes on the K10 but i bought the Mentor and waiting for it atm.

Ruff Ruff Ruff   
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back