Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Jan 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #871 of 926

Quote:
Quote:
In fact, JH Audio burns in all their IEM's for a 100 hours, before they are retested and sent out the door.

Really?  All the burn-in threads, all the fireworks and this is the first I've heard that JH Audio burns in all their IEMs for 100 hours?  Anyone else confirm this?

No, it's wrong. Brittany said that Jerry burns in all of his personal iems that he owns and listens to himself for 100 hours.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #872 of 926
Hi, I am very happy I found the list of custom iem manufacturers on this site. I had never heard of UM before but these sure seem nice. I would be afraid either my molds or the finished product would not get back to me though. On the other hand I get products from ibasso lightning quick. Can anyone tell me how UMs service is and what shipping method they can use? HAve people gotten problems with taxes? And do they sell worldwide or just america and homebase? I am concerned about the bass impact of these. I am very happy in how the highs and midrange and soundstage are described but I do think bass would be too little for me. Is it still possible for um to tune it up or otherwise has someone tried these with a headstage arrow amp and its bass boost? Thanks, Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #873 of 926
Hi Anouk,

They ship with Fedex. It takes about 3-4 days. But total production time takes much longer.

About taxes, I havent had any problems but EU's customs are different from here. Consider that.

They sell worldwide.

They have really good bass, talking about both quantity and quality. You dont have to worry about that. But I think highs are a little missing.

I am using Arrow amp with my Mage, using bass switch at 0. As I said bass is enough but if you think not enough, Arrows bass boost works perfectly.

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #874 of 926

Quote:
Hi, I am very happy I found the list of custom iem manufacturers on this site. I had never heard of UM before but these sure seem nice. I would be afraid either my molds or the finished product would not get back to me though. On the other hand I get products from ibasso lightning quick. Can anyone tell me how UMs service is and what shipping method they can use? HAve people gotten problems with taxes? And do they sell worldwide or just america and homebase? I am concerned about the bass impact of these. I am very happy in how the highs and midrange and soundstage are described but I do think bass would be too little for me. Is it still possible for um to tune it up or otherwise has someone tried these with a headstage arrow amp and its bass boost? Thanks, Greetings, Anouk,

People have had nightmare stories dealing with shipping to and from China. Things have disappeared and other things have taken weeks and weeks.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #875 of 926
Living in China I decided to get the Mage as my first IEM. I went to an audiologist in Beijing recommended by UM. He knew what to do, 10 days later I had my brand new mage. I simply love them, the sound is amazing coming from Shure E4c's. I have dynaudios as full size speakers - I still prefer those, but they do cost just a teeny bit more if you catch my drift.
The craftsmanshift is awesome; no bubbles or anything. After several hours of continuous wear they become uncomfortable as they simply are a hard thing in the ear, but that impression becomes less and less with wearing them.
All in all I am very happy!

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #877 of 926

Quote:
Living in China I decided to get the Mage as my first IEM. I went to an audiologist in Beijing recommended by UM. He knew what to do, 10 days later I had my brand new mage. I simply love them, the sound is amazing coming from Shure E4c's. I have dynaudios as full size speakers - I still prefer those, but they do cost just a teeny bit more if you catch my drift.

The craftsmanshift is awesome; no bubbles or anything. After several hours of continuous wear they become uncomfortable as they simply are a hard thing in the ear, but that impression becomes less and less with wearing them.

Darn sexy faceplate!!! congrats man!

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #878 of 926
DAMMIT! I am so jelous you got that done before I did. I have been contemplating on sacrificing my TF10 pro tin in order to pull off that look
eek.gif

Quote:

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #879 of 926
Thanks guys :wink: I'm really happy with the look too, much better than colored ones in blues and reds in my opinion - this is not so flashy... btw, the speck on one of the pictures on the faceplate is not a defect but just a bit of dust - they really are quite perfectly made. Concerning the turnaround time - consider that shipping in China takes only about a day.

A heads-up to other new buyers of customs - the cables were just loosely attached as can be seen in the pictures. I thought they had gone with flat sockets instead of recessed ones so I didn't tighten the cables. Should have, because the sockets are actually recessed. Imagine my face when I took out the IEM and suddenly had it fall in my hand instead of hanging in front of my chest! I'm quite lucky I caught it and didn't step on it; I was walking around the city.

By now I have no problems any more with the feeling of wearing customs - I had them in my ears non stop for almost 6 hours yesterday. Not always listening to music but just using them as some sort of earplugs when I had to concentrate (I work in a lab at university, repetitive work interspersed with high-concentration one).

To everybody thinking of getting this one: Go for it. I have heard the Shure 425 as well as the Westone 3 considering to go for one of them and this one is definitely a better fit for me. They are nice to wear, and the sound is in my unexperienced opinion better as well. While the Westone seemed to have more bass I prefer the more precise on the Mages.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #881 of 926

Quote:
can anyone compared the mage with 1964 quads?

I now have both. Got the 1964Q a little while ago. I haven't listened to the Mage in a while but I put them in my ears today and tried them with the UHA-4 for the first time. I'm very impressed. I've always considered them bass lite for my tastes but with the UHA-4 it has a better bass response. The 1964Q still beats it in terms of bass impact. I'll try to make some comparisons when I get a chance to do some careful listening to them both.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #882 of 926

Quote:
By now I have no problems any more with the feeling of wearing customs - I had them in my ears non stop for almost 6 hours yesterday. Not always listening to music but just using them as some sort of earplugs when I had to concentrate (I work in a lab at university, repetitive work interspersed with high-concentration one).

To everybody thinking of getting this one: Go for it. I have heard the Shure 425 as well as the Westone 3 considering to go for one of them and this one is definitely a better fit for me. They are nice to wear, and the sound is in my unexperienced opinion better as well. While the Westone seemed to have more bass I prefer the more precise on the Mages.

Hi there...Newbie here and following this thread with great interest.
Just questions about wearing this for prolonged periods - have you had a chance to wear them outdoors in the Beijing heat and how has that been? I'm in Shanghai and given it's around 36C i'm wondering if there's any discomfort when it gets sweaty.  Also, any ideas what other faceplates UM does as i've got the order form but not really sure what other coloured faceplates they do.
Did you ask for the sockets to be recessed?  May need some help with the pinyin for the order form if that's no bother!  TIA.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #883 of 926
Hey buddy.

You'll have no problems with customs and hot days. Like anything, you may want to pull them out occasioanlly and give them a wipe down and pop them back in.

We've used ours extensively in hot and cold environments and have not experienced any issues thus far!

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #884 of 926
10 day turn around? I can't imagine what that'd be like. Stupid USA. I wish we had a company here that did the same quality of work UM does. I can't imagine getting customs in under 2 weeks.

Getting remolds is always torture. I'm too cheap for Express shipping and Priority still takes almost 3 weeks. Then UM takes another 2-3 weeks. Then when I get them back, I'm sweating bullets hoping I don't need a refit (which I have in the past. I use mine at work where I do a lot of manual labor, so my ear canals are always opening as I lift heavy objects, so I require larger canals than most).

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #885 of 926
Thanks UniqueMelodyAus.
Do you know if there are any faceplates other than the brushed metal style (like KeManming's) that are available?  My mind is going towards something like a carbon fiber weave pattern but not sure if it can be done even if I supplied a jpg file.  I know it potentially could look naff though!

Mistertomlinson
Given you do more manual labour did you give your audiologist any specific instructions when getting the impressions done (ie in addition to keeping still with your mouth open)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back