Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Jan 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #541 of 926
Well that's just the nature. The more bass you have, the more muddier it is. It's always like that. He tuned his up despite not having proper seal, where he was getting proper lows to begin with.

I recommend not doing it, keep it how it is. There's more than adequate amount of bass, unless you're using a really cheap source where it isn't outputing a terrible signal to begin with, you'll be fine. If you're using an iPod, which leans to the low end you'll definitely be fine.

Quote:

guys im making my mage tomorrow....this thing better be worth it and not just hype =\

this is totally subjective. I think the Mage's are absolutely fantastic, but there's always bound to be someone that doesn't like the sound signature.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #542 of 926
I'm gonna agree with MD. I've been listening to my tuned Mages long enough to conclude I probably should have left them alone.
frown.gif
I'm coming to the conclusion that the bass was probably a lot better than I heard the first time because my seal wasn't 100% and I needed a refit. Right now, I have to EQ them (treble boost) to get the desired sound, but that doesn't solve the lack of detail. I can remember my first Mages were a lot clearer and very detailed... I miss that.

Eventually, I'm planning to send them back and pay them to remold and tune them back the way they were. Besides, if you're not satisfied with the sound, I'm willing to bet Sam will agree to remold/tune them at no charge. Especially if you're not entirely satisfied with the fit.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #544 of 926
why bump it then? why bump it when you put a risk factor to the whole entire frequency spectrum?

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #546 of 926
I have a couple of questions, notice about their website and customer service from UM.

But first let me preface it with the following: Okay, I have been following the various threads regarding this little gem of a company located in China. I was intrigued by the hype and reviews so I have been researching this further.

Question - I have a pair of Shure 530s. Is it really worth sending them in to get custom molds (and also I would like a new cable) and 6 drivers? I dropped $280 on the Shures already. The total from UM for the works would be $465. Or is it better to go for UM's 4-driver Mage which is $615. I was trying to get a sense from the postings, but it's hard to get a gauge on what people are saying.

Website - Site's links all work very well if you are using IE (Internet Explorer). If you use Firefox the links do not work. They built the site to tailor to IE.

Customer Service - I e-mailed UM and received an e-mail and order form in less than 24 hours.

Anyway, any info on the questions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and one other thing, I am Tokyo, Japan. Does anyone know of an audiologist? Does not have to be English, I speak enough Japanese.

Skoog

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #547 of 926
I'm planning to order my Mage soon, bye-bye my dear wallet.

does anyone know if it's possible to have the left and right earpieces in different colors? I'd like to have translucent red on the right and translucent blue on the left, if it's possible... otherwise I might just go with clear on both
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #548 of 926
First of all, no one has heard the SE530-6X3 yet (6 driver 530) as the first pair to exist, which is my pair hasn't arrived to me yet. So inorder for me to input, it would have to be around next week as Sam said he was going to ship them out Monday but i haven't heard from him. HOwever, the Mage's are extremely impressive for the price if you are wondering.

To dhaninugraha, yes you can have the earpieces in different colours.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #550 of 926
Thanks for the reply Maodi ... looking forward to hearing how your 6 driver shures will sound when you get them.

So the Mages are good ... and worth the price?

Will wait for review on the shure 6 drives. But when I start doing the math ... it's $280 for the shures and an additional $400 + for the rest, that puts the total at $680 + the audiologist ... hmmm, a bit more expensive than buying the Mages. The Shures 6 driver would have to be AMAZING!

Skoog

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #551 of 926
The mages are well worth OVER the price of $615. They are in my opinion superior overall than the UE11's, which cost $1150...so you can conclude what i think of them. Haha.

If the results are up to my standards, $680 is definitely not big price to pay. Remember this is a labour and materials here. UM is only charging $400 for buying 4 armatures, crossovers network, wiring, and labour. JHA audio as an example charges $1099 for their 6 driver model.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #552 of 926
MaoDi thanks for your insights. I will wait until your review on the shure530 6 driver model before pulling the trigger on either the mage or the Shure 530 customs. Although I am inclined to keep the Shure 530s as is and get the Mage. But will wait ...

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #554 of 926
Doesn't work like that...

lets get things straight. You can't just throw earphones/monitors/IEMS together to get a 10 driver monitor or something...if you could. Westone, UE, JHA, Earsonics etc...wouldn't have to do all the research they do to achieve their sound performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back