Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Jan 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #556 of 926
been reading through this thread, great info but it seems i can't find anything regarding the sockets... it seems there are a bunch of different types of sockets available?
ue universal, ue custom, westone universal, westone custom? is this true? and what are the differences?

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #557 of 926
UE universal sockets is the socket used on UE's universal line, where UE's custom socket is recessed and only UE's custom cable fits it (UE also has a non-recessed socket). Westone doesn't have a universal socket, as Westone's universal line doesn't have removable cables. Westone's custom socket and JH Audios is very similar, the both take longer and wider prongs then UE's, and the typical sockets that other manufacturers use. UM uses their own socket which pretty much weirdly takes any cable that's thrown at it.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #559 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE universal sockets is the socket used on UE's universal line, where UE's custom socket is recessed and only UE's custom cable fits it (UE also has a non-recessed socket). Westone doesn't have a universal socket, as Westone's universal line doesn't have removable cables. Westone's custom socket and JH Audios is very similar, the both take longer and wider prongs then UE's, and the typical sockets that other manufacturers use. UM uses their own socket which pretty much weirdly takes any cable that's thrown at it.

How similar are the westone and jh sockets? Would the twag cable fit on the mages? I dont even know if it would be a good match but its just a thought.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #560 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapemanpl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information. From what i understand then, the UE custom socket would be safe way to go?

UE's socket is exclusive. UM doesn't do it. UM only does their own socket, which the ES cable fits extremely tightly and nice. JHA's cable fits a bit looser, and might be easier for people.

Quote:

How similar are the westone and jh sockets? Would the twag cable fit on the mages? I dont even know if it would be a good match but its just a thought.

Very close, the JH Audio's socket has slightly smaller openings for the prongs.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #561 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE's socket is exclusive. UM doesn't do it. UM only does their own socket, which the ES cable fits extremely tightly and nice. JHA's cable fits a bit looser, and might be easier for people.

Very close, the JH Audio's socket has slightly smaller openings for the prongs.

Interesting thanks MaoDi. Have you Heard anyone try other cables on the Mage besides the Westone? I wonder how the Whiplash cable would sound on the Mage im sure Craig could make it to fit.

P.S. Still loving the Mage sooo glad you posted your review and i went this route.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #563 of 926
suprising to note that the ue11 has almost as good a mid range as the mage! Also, hey maodi, when you say the UM mage comes with instructions as to how to take care of your mages, are they in chinese?

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #564 of 926
hmm with the 6 driver tf10 & se530. I wonder how far away they are from releasing a 6 driver mage
smily_headphones1.gif

now that would be AWESOME.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #565 of 926
Instructions are in Chinese and English, but in proper english. It's not going to be Mage if it's 6 drivers
wink.gif
I think i'm gonna go ahead and make a 8 driver IEM
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back