Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Nov 25, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #302 of 926
Could you crop the photos and post them inline so the page isnt rediculously wide. Im on a 32" LCD and I have to scroll back and forth to read each line. Ill read it when that gets sorted. Thanks for the review.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #303 of 926
The photos are inline. I think it's because you're on a 32", and the photos get put side by side. I'm on a 24" and the photos are straight down. But see if it's better, i shrunk the pictures a tad.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #304 of 926
Maodi
Thank you. Very nice review, and from your descriptions, the Mages are more or less UM3Xs + PFEs, which is the combination that I am looking for, and I'll confirm it as soon I got them
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #305 of 926
Yes that is rather a good way of putting it =) UM3X + PFEs, driver quantity even adds up xD not that it means anything.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #307 of 926
great review! i'm liking the sound of the mids and highs, as well as the soundstage. bass is another, if not the most important, component for me and you said that it lacks the impact.... hmmm. if you've heard the soundmagic PL30, how do you think the bass of the PL30 compare with the Mage?

Also, do you know if UM are able to take in my own cable and modify it to fit the Mage? i think i will have an extra cable lying around which i may want to use for the Mage. if you're unsure, that's fine, i'll just ask sam directly.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #308 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great review! i'm liking the sound of the mids and highs, as well as the soundstage. bass is another, if not the most important, component for me and you said that it lacks the impact.... hmmm. if you've heard the soundmagic PL30, how do you think the bass of the PL30 compare with the Mage?

Also, do you know if UM are able to take in my own cable and modify it to fit the Mage? i think i will have an extra cable lying around which i may want to use for the Mage. if you're unsure, that's fine, i'll just ask sam directly.

Unfortunately, i haven't heard the PL30 before. But i'm definitely sure it's gonna be more powerful. These are around the impact of the ES3X, but because the mids are more forward, you tend to get carried away from the lows. So it would be nice if the Mage's lows was tuned a bit louder.

If the cable already has prongs, then there's gonna be a socket for it. But if it's just a cable lying around that has a 3.5mm plug but no prongs, i don't think they could. But UM should confirm it, not me. I can tell you right now that the Westone ES cable fits EXTREMELY tight in the socket, and would seriously feel like it'll never come out (but obviously it does). I also tried the JH Audio plug with the socket, fits tight but not as tight.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #309 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have any special request for pictures

1) The frequency response chart.
2) The customs in your ears.
3) Thanks.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #310 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) The frequency response chart.
2) The customs in your ears.
3) Thanks.

=) no problem. I myself didn't get a frequency response chart on my specific pair. But i do have a response chart of another pair of Mage. Will have that posted up. Will definitely take picture with customs in my ear.

No problem =)

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #311 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
=) no problem. I myself didn't get a frequency response chart on my specific pair. But i do have a response chart of another pair of Mage. Will have that posted up. Will definitely take picture with customs in my ear.

No problem =)

Thanks. I'll certainly take advantage of the JH13 sale today, though, thinking that if the build isn't up to scratch, or if I want to use another kind of cable (such as Sleek Audio's), I can have them re-molded later on by UM, and get the best+1.
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #312 of 926
Haha. Yes, if i didn't have so many pairs of customs i would purchase the JH13's today too. But i don't have a need for it. Let's hope your pair doesn't come out like my 10X3's in build =(

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #314 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another excellent review, MaoDi. I'm curious bout the strength of the low freq of Mage. Does it sound as impactful as 10X3 or ES3X?

Thank You. The 10X3 is no doubtfully more powerful. The Mage's lows are actually more powerful than the ES3X, however because the mids are so forward, along with the brighter sound signature you don't notice the lows as there as they actually are. But they are adequately powerful, just the lows would be better if they were bumped to make up for the forward mids. The 10X3 easily outclass both in terms of power and impact.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #315 of 926
Seem like similar case with CK100. It has pretty good bass but easily overheard due to forward mid + bright nature. Easy way to hear the lows, remove one side of the iem from my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back