Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #1,201 of 7,306
has anyone paired the Mest with Dita Oslo?

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,202 of 7,306
I can't wait to try (and maybe buy) one this Sunday :) The JP ver looks so cool, all-black color. A bit late to the party I know

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #1,203 of 7,306
I can't wait to try (and maybe buy) one this Sunday :) The JP ver looks so cool, all-black color. A bit late to the party I know

Same...I'm going to hear one soon and I have a side-eye looking at Musicteck's Black Friday sale.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,205 of 7,306
New owner of the Mest. I just got it, didn't even had the time to give it a listen but looking forward to give it a listen when I get home.
s-l1600 (3).jpg

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #1,206 of 7,306
I wish I could switch the BCDs on and off to compare the sound. While I can’t really tell what the effect of the BCDs is, I can sense them. Definitely unique. I think they contribute to overall coherency.

I would love to see this implemented in future IEM. On/off switch, or even better, a tuning screw so you can change the effectiveness at any volume level.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #1,207 of 7,306
Same...I'm going to hear one soon and I have a side-eye looking at Musicteck's Black Friday sale.
All-black color MEST (JP ver), connected with black STR7 cable, wrapped in black case, purchased during Black Friday :D Lovely idea! Black on black on black

513039_1605875499_1_sq.jpg

IMG-20201125-154452.jpg

IMG-20201125-154438.jpg

IMG-20201125-154419.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #1,208 of 7,306
I've reviewed both, separately (you can find links to those reviews in my signature or profile). Note that I reviewed the latest iteration of Solaris, the 2020 model.
As a brief summary, I'd say they are both excellent IEMs, and as is usual in this hobby, it depends on one's own personal preferences.

I'd say the Solaris has a quite unusually dark signature and a bit intimate, with more mid-bass than MEST. It's quite musical, but for me, I felt there's not a great deal of sparkle or shimmer. If I'm looking for an IEM to compare it with, it actually reminds me most of the Empire Ears Phantom, but with that lovely DD bass power and tactility added in (and I'm a big fan of the Phantom!).
I feel the Solaris 2020 presents quite a lot of detail, but in a more organic way than the MEST.
I have some sensitivities to peaks in the upper mids/treble on some IEMs, and I found the Solaris 2020 to trigger those sensitivities sometimes; which was a surprise to me given its fairly dark signature. To be perfectly honest, Solaris 2020 is - in accordance with its sound signature - something of a dark horse to me.
Sometimes I feel it's just a bit strange and I can't figure it out, but also I have had had hugely enjoyable extended listening sessions with it too.
So I've still yet to come to a firm opinion about it really.

As a brief addendum, as part of an Eletech cable review tour (I'll be posting my full findings on the Eletech thread in the coming days), I tried Solaris 2020 with the Eletech Plato cable (pure silver) and it had a transformative effect on the Solaris 2020, lifting the darkness a fair amount, adding some brightness and sparkle, increased detail retrieval, more crispness and air. So if you like a lot of things about the Solaris 2020 but would prefer to tweak the sound signature, that's a good - albeit not cheap - option. I have heard other people describe other silver cables as being a good match for the Solaris, so that's an option.
I was extremely impressed with that pairing and will look into exploring other silver cable options when I get the opportunity.

MEST on the other hand, I was extremely impressed with from the start, and after many months of listening, probably even more impressed.
I hear it as being huge, bright, open. It has a big, holographic soundstage (one of the best I've heard), great separation and imaging.
It's terrific at presenting detail and accurate in timbre. It has more sub-bass than mid-bass. I feel the bass is never bloated and doesn't bleed into the mids, but is capable of extending extremely deep and hitting very hard. There's lots of air an extension in the treble too, and it's very vivid and immersive for me.
As you might have guessed from me liking the EE Phantom, I quite enjoy IEMs with unusually warm, rich, thick mids; in this regard, I might wish for a little more richness in the mids of the MEST, but as I'm keen to stress, that's very much just a personal preference.

As a side note, I tried the MEST with 3 Eletech cables.
On the MEST, and bearing in mind my treble sensitivity, I found the Plato to make it a bit too bright in places, although it was otherwise a very good pair up that others might really enjoy. However, I tried MEST with the Eletech Iliad, and honestly the combination was stunning!
It's hard to even describe exactly what it did, but for me it just took the MEST to a kind of ultra-flagship level of sound (think $3k - $4k IEMs).
Obviously I appreciate few people are going to want to put a $1800 cable on a $1400 IEM, but I'm just saying what I found :)
This pair-up would probably appeal to people who already own the Iliad (or who have the funds for such experimentation).
I'd 'justify' it by saying that I've heard - for example - the 64 Audio Tia Fourte (and Noir version) and it's very good; but if I had a choice between buying that or the MEST with Iliad, I'd take the MEST with Iliad every time. So sooner or later, Eletech will release a new flagship and maybe there will be a few used Iliads on the market; that's probably when I'll pounce :D

Anyway, a bit rambling, but hope this helps give you some idea about MEST vs Solaris 2020 :)
Just a suggestion for you or anyone reading this. You can find 99.99999% (7n) pure silver cables with 8 cores for 45-60 bucks on Linsoul/Ali. All my cables are pure 7n 8 core silver. Don't spend your entire paycheck on a cable made from the same exact, if not inferior, to a 50 dollar 7n pure. The one I got even has gold plated connectors with carbon Fibre inlay. It was a Yin yoo cable for anyone who's curious.

I put a space in the brand name because it's censored here

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #1,209 of 7,306
That is a huge difference in tunning and you are right I would probably not like them. I'm more big bass (but not bass head) and big (refined) treble kinda guy. After I played little bit with graphs I think V14 would more in my alley. Actually even before mest came along V14 was my top contender for upgrade.
I think you would absolutely love the V 14. They are so TINY and easily the most comfortable uni iems I've ever tried. They even beat my FA9 which are basically perfect. They're small but they have the PERFECT hollow space to give them that amazing sound stage. It's name is very fitting. Getting mine reshelled in custom, I'll probably wait for the mest v2 since I just got the v14 and the fa9 a few weeks ago, should slow down a little.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #1,210 of 7,306
Could not resist. I'm weak, weak, weak....

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-23 um 20.05.48.png

I jumped on that sale too. That's less than the $1250 the MEST was going for this Summer when I almost bought one (I ended up going with the CFA Solaris 2020, mostly because it had more reviews/consensus at the time).

I very much enjoy the Solaris 2020, but there are some things about it that I don't like, so now I'll compare and contrast the two and keep the one I like better...or maybe I'll keep both for different applications!

The MEST should be here by Fri./Sat. and I'll post my impressions of it and compare it to the Solaris 2020 after some time with it. I'm not very good at describing the SQ of gear though.

Excited to hear the MEST!

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,211 of 7,306
I will get mine next Monday. I'm very interested how they will compare to my S8F. At the moment I have so much fun to hear Phish live concert's with these. Brooklyn, Miami 2014 and 2015, MSG (new year concert's) 1995, 2013 and 2016, Riviera Maya 2016 are incredible well mixed. If the Mest are not bassy enough for this, or sound too lean, I'm sure they are capable to handle jazz very well. I'm a little bit concerned about the size of those. They are bigger than my S8F. And the Fearless fit perfect.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,212 of 7,306
Make sure you drop a comment, i'll be interested to hear how hey compare to S8F.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,214 of 7,306
I will get mine next Monday. I'm very interested how they will compare to my S8F. At the moment I have so much fun to hear Phish live concert's with these. Brooklyn, Miami 2014 and 2015, MSG (new year concert's) 1995, 2013 and 2016, Riviera Maya 2016 are incredible well mixed. If the Mest are not bassy enough for this, or sound too lean, I'm sure they are capable to handle jazz very well. I'm a little bit concerned about the size of those. They are bigger than my S8F. And the Fearless fit perfect.
MEST is very interesting. Only when the track calls for it the bass will be there in both quantity and quality. But when the track is not meant to be bassy you will feel it's less bassy than listening to a bassy iem. In short it knows when to be bassy and when not.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #1,215 of 7,306
Just a heads up that I've listed my MEST at a fairly good price even after Musicteck's sale price if anyone is looking for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back