Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,231 of 7,306
I like the Xelastec on my S8F. They give me a perfect seal and super fast and tight bass without shoving them all the way down my ear canal but I have to use them in size "ss". Maybe your's are too big in size. Sound's like a bad seal.

For xelastec i use MS and all other M size, even though they don't work for S8F for me they are perfect for smaller shell shorter nozzle iem like t2+ for example.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #1,232 of 7,306
You're probably used to the fearless, listen to just the mest for a couple days. They are quite different tunings. Things like sounstage can be very subjective. To me mest has the most holographic stage and great detail retrieval but if you don't like/get used to the tuning its just going to sound bad. The brain is the most powerful eq. If you still don't like it at least you have a reference for exactly what you don't like.
Ehh, no point. He’s made up his mind. Hopefully someone else will buy it and thoroughly enjoy it. Nevertheless, good tips though.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,233 of 7,306
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,234 of 7,306
I use 8 core this one:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html
Its few levels above anything that cost below 3 figures

Thanks for the recommendation ! Decided on the tianwaitian but currently in a dillema on termination. I would like to know if more power in the 4.4 will yield any sonic improvements for mest on my portable set up - Phone to lotoo paw s1 to mest

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #1,235 of 7,306
Thanks for the recommendation ! Decided on the tianwaitian but currently in a dillema on termination. I would like to know if more power in the 4.4 will yield any sonic improvements for mest on my portable set up - Phone to lotoo paw s1 to mest
While the MEST is pretty sensitive, and doesn’t need a lot of power to sound great, with pricier cables, I would definitely recommend havi them terminated balanced. You can always use an adapter to convert it to 3.5mm SE.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,236 of 7,306

I use this cable on S8F as SE with V50 or bal with BTR5 (cable is bal, but I use se adapter for my phone) And since S8F is very efficient there not much difference if any at all. In Mest case I don't know. One way to know for sure buy adapter and test it yourself.

Attachments

• 820143761.jpg
    820143761.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,237 of 7,306
You're probably used to the fearless, listen to just the mest for a couple days. They are quite different tunings. Things like sounstage can be very subjective. To me mest has the most holographic stage and great detail retrieval but if you don't like/get used to the tuning its just going to sound bad. The brain is the most powerful eq. If you still don't like it at least you have a reference for exactly what you don't like.
I knew that they are different. And I knew if I get something, I have to give something in return. That's like buying an RV. If you want an extra window, you lose one locker. But with the Mest I don't have the feeling I get something in return. The Mest have a leaner sound and more sub bass than the S8F. But too much sub bass is annoying and vocals further in the background too. (for my taste)

I have some Dunu dk 2001 pro's and they sound totally different than the S8F. They are way less detailed compared to the S8F, but they sound very coherent and they are great for Rock music. They sound different but I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,241 of 7,306
Going to have to give my MEST the full shakedown over the weekend. Did the tip rolling & thought I had found the best combination of fit/seal/comfort with the Sony S tips, but alas, after about 20 minutes my ear canals were hurting. Curse my small ear canals.

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,243 of 7,306
Yes, to be patient is not my strength, and after some EQing they sound pretty impressive cough, cough.... 😏

with 8 years in this hobby, I have learnt that IEM's which disappointed me most initially, became my favorite later.
give it some time, your ears are used to S8F sig it would take some time to clear S8F cloud.

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,244 of 7,306
After some more music it's obvious that there are strength and weaknesses. Music which is bass shy per se will sound with the Mest even more lean compared with the S8F and cannot sound great but worse. But well recorded jazz with vocals like Ellen Anderson's "you should have told me" with a small band or David Crosby's "Here if you listen" (produced by Michael League from Snarky Puppy) will sound really really great. So, not everything will sound better with the Mest because they are the more technical superior IEM's. At the moment I think they sound very good with jazz and vocal jazz. Try "River Man" from Lizz Wright's album Freedom and Surrender for instance. The differences between the S8F and the Mest are subtle if the song sounds better with the Mest. And although it's subtle, it's a lot of fun because I cannot say why it's sound better. I can only feel it. But for me most of my compositions of my library suffer from the Mest due to the leaner sound which sucks the life out of the music. I will keep them because they have potential. But I cannot imagine to hear everything with them. At the moment I hear Lionel Loueke - HH and Scofield's Uberjam Deux and this sound's great too.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #1,245 of 7,306
I’ve been listening to my MEST a lot this evening. Wow! I always knew it had spectacular imaging, that‘s very holographic, but some regular recordings sound binaural on the MEST, and aren’t presented the same way on other IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back