Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #556 of 7,365
MEST vs campfire 2020

MEST
1- more full rich organic detailed vocals ( i can simply say this is my favorite iems for mids and vocals )
2- bass deeper, and more sub bass, it punches in a very unique way, simply amazing bass response
3- highs more rich with perfect weight, never reaching sibilance, but you get all the amazing details ( note I have kse1500 so I am not a stranger to details )
4- sound stage wider than solaris 2020, its done in a way that despite having a wide stage, with great depth, still everything sounds full and organic
5- fit goes for MEST with no doubt at all, it fits like a glove and so comfortable

MEST vs Sony Z1r

MEST
1- way better mids, not even a comparison here
2- Bass goes for the Z1R in quantity only by a tiny bit, but man the MEST punches with authority
3- highs definitely goes for MEST as it never reaches sibilance, but you get all the details you need
4- Sound stage still need to eventuate and compare more
5- fit goes for MEST with no doubt at all, it fits like a glove and so comfortable

Just to mention, I am using final ear tips type e, stock ones did not work well for me.

Finally make no mistake, I adore Solaris 2020 and Z1R, and it does not mean that I like the MEST more, that I do not adore the other 2. As both are simply amazing iems as well. Besides some might not prefer the same signature I like, and might gravitate towards solaris 2020 or Z1R

Thanks for sharing man! This was the first itemized, balanced comparison I've seen. The MEST has been on my radar for a while and I'm stoked to be on a Canadian tour so I'll get to demo it eventually :)

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #558 of 7,365
Is the mest going to be the new king? For the price if it beats out all the $3k-$4k iems, this will be a hell of a deal!

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #559 of 7,365
I think it looks absolutely gorgeous 😁
IMG_20200907_174855.jpg

I think I prefer the red versus blue, but that may be because I want a red IEM in my multi-colored collection. 😁

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #560 of 7,365
now for some fun

UM manager / owner : who the hell priced it at 1.4k usd
employee: mmmmm mmmmm mmmm
UM manager: dam this iem is a unique iem, dam it, it has bone conduction dam it, u understand what having bone conduction tech means and to sound great, why did u not price it at 4k usd, why why ? On head fi with some hyping u can sell iems at 6k usd easily
employee: but but mmm but but

UM manager: stop its release , repackage, rename, add some other accessories and put a price tag of 6.5k usd

Just kidding :), i am just so surprised by how amazing mest sounds

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #561 of 7,365
now for some fun

UM manager: dam this iem is a unique iem, dam it, it has bone conduction dam it, u understand what having bone conduction tech means and to sound great, why did u not price it at 4k usd, why why ? On head fi with some hyping u can sell iems at 6k usd easily

UM manager: stop its release , repackage, rename, add some other accessories and put a price tag of 6.5k usd

Hell yeah! I can't wait to try the mest. If the sound quality beats out all my other $3k-$4k iems in my collection i will be very piss! I mean imagine the $2k plus i would've save on each iems i bought over the years and i bought a least 5 of them. I would of be eating lobster every day the last couple years and still be enjoying music. Lol.

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #562 of 7,365
I seriously doubt it will beat the 3-4k iems.
now for some fun

Oh man... If this really happens then this will be the first audio device with appreciated value 😉

Sep 7, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #563 of 7,365
....If the sound quality beats out all my other $3k-$4k iems in my collection i will be very piss!...
I doubt it will “beat out” your $3-4K IEMs, but you MAY end up preferring the sound of the MEST to some of them. That’s the thing, once you get to this level, it’s all about preferences. Someone preferring the sound of the Z1R over the Thummim would not be surprising, but that doesn’t mean the Z1R is “better” at all, just different.

Sep 7, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #564 of 7,365
now for some fun

As you can see from the popularity on HF, UM finally have done something right here - after having almost disappeared for a while (due to way too high prices and too few models imo). Wish them that they get back the popularity they had about 8-10 years ago! :)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #565 of 7,365
I doubt it will “beat out” your $3-4K IEMs, but you MAY end up preferring the sound of the MEST to some of them. That’s the thing, once you get to this level, it’s all about preferences. Someone preferring the sound of the Z1R over the Thummim would not be surprising, but that doesn’t mean the Z1R is “better” at all, just different.
It's true! I do prefer some of my lower price iems to my $3k iems. But i think um might have a winner here with the mest. There is a few highly regarded reviewers who purchased the universal mest and immediately bought the custom version. That speaks high volume of how good the mest is. It's true it's all come down to preference but if 90 out of 100 people prefer the same doesn't that make the higher price iems technically inferior?

Sep 7, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #566 of 7,365
.....but if 90 out of 100 people prefer the same doesn't that make the higher price iems technically inferior?
One certainly could argue that, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, but the longer I’m in this hobby, the more I see a wide variety of tastes, so I try to avoid gross generalizations like stating that IEM A is “better than” or is “superior to” IEM B, unless I can truly argue that it is better in ALL aspects, which is quite rare. I prefer to state what specific aspects IEM A excels at vs IEM B. This is also why I don’t take other people’s ranking lists too seriously, though they can provide really good guidance.

I will say that if 90 out of 100 people like the same IEM, it must be a phenomenal and versatile IEM.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #567 of 7,365
One certainly could argue that, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, but the longer I’m in this hobby, the more I see a wide variety of tastes, so I try to avoid gross generalizations like stating that IEM A is “better than” or is “superior to” IEM B, unless I can truly argue that it is better in ALL aspects, which is quite rare. I prefer to state what specific aspects IEM A excels at vs IEM B. This is also why I don’t take other people’s ranking lists too seriously, though they can provide really good guidance.

Agreed. We all hear differently, our ear anatomy is different, and our hot spots, both good and bad, are all different. Added to that, our moods can definitely affect how we perceive what we are hearing.

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #569 of 7,365
Do you guys use stock cable with the MEST? I am very intrigued by MEST, so very interested to know if someone is pairing it with some aftermarket cable to get the most out of it, or if the stock does a great job!

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #570 of 7,365
Do you guys use stock cable with the MEST? I am very intrigued by MEST, so very interested to know if someone is pairing it with some aftermarket cable to get the most out of it, or if the stock does a great job!
I'm using stock, for me it sounded really good. I've tried using the cable from IMR the mids are not as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back