Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #1,771 of 7,306
Got my pair on Monday. For the record, I got the 4.4 and 3.5 adapters included in the box - this was purchased from JD.com in China. I wasn't sure whether they were included or not, so wasted a little money on a 4.4 just in case.

Tip dependent - wow. As many other posts are testament in this thread, finding the right tips is quite the challenge, both for fit and for sound. I happened to have a set of foams (not Comply) that I had received as a free gift at CanJam, so found the best fit and then cut the ends off as recommended by someone a few pages back. This is an excellent tip (pun unavoidable) and has resulted in the best compromise so far. I have some Xelastec on the way, hoping they are better in general. Will also give the Spinfit CP230s a try (the recommendation in here is for 240s but judging by the bore, I expect the 230s to be a better match).

Connected to tip choice - Comfort. This is another struggle which I believe comes down almost exclusively to the choice of connectors. I had a pair of UM Macbeths and the connectors on that cable were just the two pin plugs on the end of the wire. Over time, the connection between wire and plug became loose on one side, to the point that the IEM could rotate while the cable stayed still. So I'm grateful to Unique Melody for opting for a more robust solution. However, the angled plastic connector seriously impedes a comfortable fit for me. I either have to have them rotated forwards to allow the cable to comfortably go over my ear (resulting in the least solid seal and therefore reduced sound quality and danger of the IEM falling out) or rotated back where it fits my ear best but the connector is rubbing on my ear and the cable does not want to sit behind the ear (resulting in discomfort and also pulling my ears forward so I look like a goof!!!!)

When I tested these, I tested using my own cable (Nobunaga Labs Odin) and had absolutely no fit problems. I have tried this at home and the difference is immediately obvious. Sadly, the cable is not as good a match as UM's own in terms of signature. So I just have to hope I can find the right tips (and the right size) that will help me to get past this.

Gripes and moans. "Why didn't you get custom?" because I wanted my wife to be able to enjoy them as well.

With all of that said, when the stars align and I get the fit right, the sound is just glorious. I have had multiple experiences of the IEMs just dissolving, leaving me in a gorgeous sphere of sound. I hear the occasional moment of sibilance on particular tracks, but it's not often (and also I'm aware I have not burned these in, so that may change) Very VERY pleased with these, I consider them absolutely worth every penny. I do wish the connectors were not angled, and I look forward to finding the solution to these fit issues, but despite my three paragraphs of woe, my main impression is that these are wonderful, spacious, enjoyable IEMs that definitely deserve the praise and the love that has been heaped on them. FINALLY, with the Mest and my DX220 I have the "out-of-head" sound I have been chasing.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #1,772 of 7,306
Thanks for the great comparison.

I do agree about foam tips spoiling what makes the MEST so special, but I will add that if you’re willing to modify the foam tips, by cutting off maybe 1/3 of the end of the ear tip, it doesn’t affect the treble much. With the modified tips, the core will run the entire length of the ear tip. It is the foam overhang, that goes beyond the core, that primarily saps up all of the treble energy. For me, with cut Tenmak foams, a tiny bit of upper treble is dampened, making it sound more realistic to (and not as splashy sounding), plus I can insert the IEMs deep.

If you really want the ear tip to not affect the sound, cut around 1/2 of the ear tip end off, then the core essentially won‘t go past the end of the IEM nozzle, and the ear tip will only serve to seal the area between the nozzle and the walls of your ear canal.
Thanks for the good wishes on my earlier post, but, even more, thanks for this suggestion about cutting the ends of foam tips. Got my best result so far this way. Very much appreciated!!!

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #1,773 of 7,306
If you really want the ear tip to not affect the sound, cut around 1/2 of the ear tip end off, then the core essentially won‘t go past the end of the IEM nozzle, and the ear tip will only serve to seal the area between the nozzle and the walls of your ear canal.

Would you have one prepared in the way you said to put a photo?

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #1,774 of 7,306
They are not supposed to be, originally were sent out only with the reviewers sample. That being said, I ordered my mest from HIFIGO (excellent seller in my opinion, offers a shipping options where you do not have to worry about customs), and received both amplifiers inside the box, wrapped in a bag with "gift" sticker over it.
Hi Maru10, I am sorry HiFigo is not our authorized dealer. If you could please send the serial number of your MEST to me thru PM. We will transfer your MEST into our profile.

I think I have emailed them before to remove MEST from their website but apparently they didn't listen. The problem with these unauthorized dealers is they cannot help you process your warranty or it may take a way longer time for you to get your IEMs repaired. Even if you directly contact our service department, they can't track your IEMs and it will take extra time for you to get the service.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Feb 19, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,775 of 7,306
Would you have one prepared in the way you said to put a photo?
I did mine quickly, didn't have the sharpest knife. They could look nicer....
20210219_163525_HDR.jpg

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #1,776 of 7,306
I did mine quickly, didn't have the sharpest knife. They could look nicer....20210219_163525_HDR.jpg
Looks perfect to me. I‘ve already cut a bunch of foam ear tips, with different tools and techniques, but have not been able to get a really clean edge, so now I just use scissors, as it’s the easiest, and most precise for achieving the desired length.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,777 of 7,306
I did mine quickly, didn't have the sharpest knife. They could look nicer....20210219_163525_HDR.jpg

Looks perfect to me. I‘ve already cut a bunch of foam ear tips, with different tools and techniques, but have not been able to get a really clean edge, so now I just use scissors, as it’s the easiest, and most precise for achieving the desired length.
Thanks!

I also think it will be better with scissors.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,778 of 7,306
I've got the try the tip cutting method. How do razor blades work? I figure I'd be able to get a cleaner cut with a blade.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,779 of 7,306
Thanks!

I also think it will be better with scissors.
Make a jig if you want perfection. Brass rod 1/8” inserted in a piece of scrap wood cut to the length of the amount you want to remain. Second piece of wood cut to height of piece you want left. Drill a hole same size as outer ear tip material. Glue the two wood pieces together centering the brass rod in the hole you drilled. Insert the ear tip on the rod and use a razor blade across the wood to clearly remove the unwanted material.

Attachments

• 8FEFD4B3-3117-47DD-8001-86C6356069AD.jpeg
    8FEFD4B3-3117-47DD-8001-86C6356069AD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,780 of 7,306
I've got the try the tip cutting method. How do razor blades work? I figure I'd be able to get a cleaner cut with a blade.
They work, but I haven‘t had great success with them. The cut edge is still jagged, due to the slight movements of the foam, such as compression, expansion, and moving with the blade (since the (Tenmak) foam is a bit sticky and is really durable).

If anyone finds a great reliable method, please share!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #1,781 of 7,306
They work, but I haven‘t had great success with them. The cut edge is still jagged, due to the slight movements of the foam, such as compression, expansion, and moving with the blade (since the (Tenmak) foam is a bit sticky and is really durable).

If anyone finds a great reliable method, please share!
Here is what I use with great success. Get some KZ Starlines and turn them inside out. I then cut off about half of the stem. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. The regular tip in the pictures is a small while the other 2 are large.
3E28C827-0ACE-47CC-93C7-9FD13EFA8DC9.jpegCF3DE4C0-9090-4B8B-9863-C82A23683D95.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #1,782 of 7,306
Got my Azla Xelastec tips yesterday. Fit and comfort issues now a thing of the past, these work wonderfully. I have a suspicion that a tiny bit of high frequency detail has been shaved off (I could be wrong and I haven't A/B tested with other tips yet) so I will still investigate the Spinfit 230s. But for now I have a dependable and secure result. My first time using these slightly sticky tips and I'm a fan!

As is so often the case, I'm very grateful to all of you who share your experiences, successes, failures, thoughts and ideas on Head Fi. This community is an absolute boon to anyone involved in this money-depleting "hobby"!!

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #1,783 of 7,306
Got my Azla Xelastec tips yesterday. Fit and comfort issues now a thing of the past, these work wonderfully. I have a suspicion that a tiny bit of high frequency detail has been shaved off (I could be wrong and I haven't A/B tested with other tips yet) so I will still investigate the Spinfit 230s. But for now I have a dependable and secure result. My first time using these slightly sticky tips and I'm a fan!

As is so often the case, I'm very grateful to all of you who share your experiences, successes, failures, thoughts and ideas on Head Fi. This community is an absolute boon to anyone involved in this money-depleting "hobby"!!
I love the Xelastec tips. If found a couple of mine "fogged up" and became less flexible. Only a couple though, not all of them. If you're in China, you should really try my trick above. I think the LZ tips are 6/$1 from Aliexpress. I acutually haven't used my xelastics since.

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #1,784 of 7,306
I love the Xelastec tips. If found a couple of mine "fogged up" and became less flexible. Only a couple though, not all of them. If you're in China, you should really try my trick above. I think the LZ tips are 6/$1 from Aliexpress. I acutually haven't used my xelastics since.
I'll add them to the list :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back