Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Feb 23, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,801 of 7,306
I also just received a Tia Trió, and have the MEST, so in a couple of days, I should be able to provide some analysis. If you have any particular music you'd like to compare, feel free to PM me.
I am really interested in this comparison as well.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #1,802 of 7,306
For those using a non QDC cable with your MEST and want a safer connection, this is what I did. I took a couple spare double flange silicone ear tips, removed the flanges, and slid the remaining tube of the connection. If you want a much tighter fit, just use the inner tube from a pair of foam ear tips. Hope this idea is acceptable and works for others.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #1,803 of 7,306
I gotta say, while that may be what the impedance adapter actually does FR-wise, in practice, it completely messes up the tonality and cohesiveness of thE MEST. I found the use of a 20 Ohm adapter on the MEST to be terrible. I also have no idea how it influences the BC driver.

I also couldn’t stand the sound for long. It sounded very muddy and veiled, just......wrong.

Not a direct a/b testing. My daily driver is pairing mest with eletech fortitude and dx228. On some tracks i find the treble overwhelms the bass so much that i feel theres no presence whatsoever.

So recently i paired the mest with fiio utws3(which i believe is of higher impedence maybe?) and found it much to my liking that im able 'feel' the bass on the same track.

Maybe my preference is towards L-shaped rather than W-shaped? Still new to hifi stuffs.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,804 of 7,306
Not a direct a/b testing. My daily driver is pairing mest with eletech fortitude and dx228. On some tracks i find the treble overwhelms the bass so much that i feel theres no presence whatsoever.

So recently i paired the mest with fiio utws3(which i believe is of higher impedence maybe?) and found it much to my liking that im able 'feel' the bass on the same track.

Maybe my preference is towards L-shaped rather than W-shaped? Still new to hifi stuffs.
That's strange. I also own the Fiio UTWS3. I pair them with my Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs. I love this pairing because of the truly wireless use case which is great for walking. When I get back home, I go straight to wired because the sound quality is so much better that way. It sounds to me that the treble hotness is overwhelming you so much that you are overlooking other aspects of sound like clarity and detail retrieval. That makes sense if your ears are hurting due to the brightness. Have you tried foam tips with the Mest? They should darken the sound and tame the treble a bit.

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,805 of 7,306
I also just received a Tia Trió, and have the MEST, so in a couple of days, I should be able to provide some analysis. If you have any particular music you'd like to compare, feel free to PM me.
Please share publicly if you don't mind. Trio is the only 64 Audio I have yet to hear :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 24, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,806 of 7,306
Please share publicly if you don't mind. Trio is the only 64 Audio I have yet to hear :)
Do you have any specific music you'd like for me to compare?

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,807 of 7,306
Order placed today for universal MEST

any recommendations on aftermarket cable ?

thanks

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #1,808 of 7,306

thanks
I like the PW No.5, it fills the midrange nicely.

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #1,809 of 7,306

thanks
Before you purchase a new cable, listen to the stock cable. It's really good.

I have a pretty high end DIY silver plated occ copper cable that I bought resale. I was going to pair it with the Mest. When I A/B tested it with the stock cable, I preferred the stock cable.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #1,810 of 7,306
Before you purchase a new cable, listen to the stock cable. It's really good.

I have a pretty high end DIY silver plated occ copper cable that I bought resale. I was going to pair it with the Mest. When I A/B tested it with the stock cable, I preferred the stock cable.

I second this. I have a high quality Nobunaga Labs cable which I bought for my InEar Prophile 8s - excellent pairing there. Loses a ton of low end when I tried it with the Mest. The Mest cable is definitely worth trying (irrespective of my dislike for the QDC style connectors!)

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,812 of 7,306
Received my CP240s (couldn't get the 230s). Tried them. Hated the sound. Waiting on some Sedna Lights. If they're not better than the Xelastec, then I'll just stick with the X.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,813 of 7,306
I would like to hear your opinion as well. I sold my MEST to buy the Trio. Trio should be arriving from Japan any day now. Can’t wait to hear them.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #1,814 of 7,306
I would like to hear your opinion as well. I sold my MEST to buy the Trio. Trio should be arriving from Japan any day now. Can’t wait to hear them.
I also have the VE Meister, so I’ll be comparing three “affordable” hybrid IEMs.

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,815 of 7,306
So close to pulling the trigger on the MEST but reports of fit issues holding me back. Also, maybe I'm reading wrong but are they a bright IEM? I have DUNU ZEN, SA6 and XBA-N3 - love both DUNU and enjoy the N3 but fit issues with them so that's further fueling concern on the MEST.

This would be my first >$1000 IEM, want to spend wisely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back