Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,816 of 7,306
So close to pulling the trigger on the MEST but reports of fit issues holding me back. Also, maybe I'm reading wrong but are they a bright IEM? I have DUNU ZEN, SA6 and XBA-N3 - love both DUNU and enjoy the N3 but fit issues with them so that's further fueling concern on the MEST.

This would be my first >$1000 IEM, want to spend wisely!
No not bright.
Fit was no issue for me once I found the right tips.

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,818 of 7,306
So close to pulling the trigger on the MEST but reports of fit issues holding me back. Also, maybe I'm reading wrong but are they a bright IEM? I have DUNU ZEN, SA6 and XBA-N3 - love both DUNU and enjoy the N3 but fit issues with them so that's further fueling concern on the MEST.

For me it is a relatively brilliant IEM, it has a lot of treble, but it is part of its magic. And its bass is impressively good.

I have not tried the Dunu you have, but I have had the XBA-N3 and it is completely different to the Mest. It could be said that they are complementary.

Ah, And it is very comfortable for me.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,819 of 7,306
For me it is a relatively brilliant IEM, it has a lot of treble, but it is part of its magic. And its bass is impressively good.

I have not tried the Dunu you have, but I have had the XBA-N3 and it is completely different to the Mest. It could be said that they are complementary.

Ah, And it is very comfortable for me.

I see you've the NW-WM1A, I do too - guessing they pair well? Are you running stock firmware or custom?

I was literally about to buy the Sony IER-M9 last night but decided to look around a little more first - I've been tempted by that for months now, the DUNU SA6 though is an all BA and I've heard the Sony might not be much of a step-up, even though almost double the price. But I am a huge Sony fan and the M9 does feel like an itch I will have to scratch at some point!

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,820 of 7,306

I purchased my MEST about two weeks ago. My ears are somewhat on the smaller side. Compared my S8F to the MEST in size and are exactly the same. So fit perfectly for me. I have come up with a solution similar to an earlier post as far as tips to use. I took the small pair of asla Sedna xelastic ear tips from the set for my Apple AirPods Pro. Removed the plastic adapter and put on the L and R MEST. What this did is allow for a much deeper ensertion so more of the body of the MEST is touching the inner/outer ears, they are oval in shape so fit is better, and the very end of the xelastic ear tip is flush with the very outer edge of each titanium cap exposing the entire surface of the cap within the hearing canal. One gets to experience the full impact of the sound coming out from the L and R MEST. I am quite satisfied with the result. Hope this helps others as well.

As far as brightness, I am susceptible to higher frequencies unfortunately, but am having zero issues with my MEST. The treble is very present, but not over the top.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #1,821 of 7,306
I see you've the NW-WM1A, I do too - guessing they pair well? Are you running stock firmware or custom?

I was literally about to buy the Sony IER-M9 last night but decided to look around a little more first - I've been tempted by that for months now, the DUNU SA6 though is an all BA and I've heard the Sony might not be much of a step-up, even though almost double the price. But I am a huge Sony fan and the M9 does feel like an itch I will have to scratch at some point!
My favorite pairing with the UM Mest is the Lotoo PAW S1. The clarity and transparency of the S1 really opens up the sound stage on the Mest giving you a great balanced sound for vocals. Since the S1 is so portable, it is now what I use when I walk.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #1,822 of 7,306

Yes, the WM1A is the DAP that I use the most with the Mest, along with the qudelix.
I'm using Project Z firmware, I like it better than the stock and the latest Midnight firmware. Increase the scene and the separation that the Mest already offers. I think they make a wonderful couple.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,823 of 7,306
Yes, the WM1A is the DAP that I use the most with the Mest, along with the qudelix.
I'm using Project Z firmware, I like it better than the stock and the latest Midnight firmware. Increase the scene and the separation that the Mest already offers. I think they make a wonderful couple.
Hi! How is the MEST with IFI HIP DAC? I love bass so I am thinking of using the XBASS there.....
Also would you recommend the 3.5 or 4.4mm output? Any hiss issues?
Thank you

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #1,824 of 7,306

Bright: My most used ear-gear is the InEar Prophile 8s and the Hifiman Ananda. These are detailed, resolving, but I don't consider them bright. The Mest is very much in the same ballpark. Again, I would not call it bright but it all depends what you're used to (sadly I have not experienced any of the earphones you have). Detailed, yes. Bright? No. I would say they are a full-bodied reference/balanced type tuning (full-bodied meaning the bass is well represented but not overtly boosted).

Fit: Bear in mind I came from the most remarkably well-fitting universal IEMs. Since moving to Xelastec tips, fit has been much less of an issue. Currently trying the Earfit Light tips and fit is even easier. My personal experience is that fit and sound took some tip-rolling to get both right, but that's me. What I would emphasise is that decent fit (even for picky old me) is achievable and I would not let that put you off these little beauties!!!

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #1,825 of 7,306
Hi! How is the MEST with IFI HIP DAC? I love bass so I am thinking of using the XBASS there.....
Also would you recommend the 3.5 or 4.4mm output? Any hiss issues?
Thank you
I haven't used the Mest yet with the iFi hip dac. I use the iFi as stationary DAC/AMP connected to my computer, and usually with headphones, not with IEMs.

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #1,826 of 7,306
I haven't used the Mest yet with the iFi hip dac. I use the iFi as stationary DAC/AMP connected to my computer, and usually with headphones, not with IEMs.
I see you have both the MEST and Claivoyance. How do these two compare? particularly in soundstage and tonal balance?

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,827 of 7,306
I see you have both the MEST and Claivoyance. How do these two compare? particularly in soundstage and tonal balance?
I think I already answered something similar in the Clairvoyance thread. This is just my opinion, and based on the music I listen to, which is basically rock, metal and progressive.

They are my 2 favorite IEMs currently. So much so that I have been selling almost all the others. The one I like the most of the 2 is the Mest, but I don't think the Clairvoyance is much worse.

I think the Clairvoyance has a more natural tonality. The problem is that the high-mid peak that it has at 2.5kHz is a bit annoying and squeaky on some records or songs. I listen to a lot of metal, so it is probably related to this type of music. If I use the EQ to reduce that area slightly, everything is solved.

Regarding the soundstage, the Mest one is very spectacular, since it is very holographic and 3D. I think the Clairvoyance soundstage is average, it doesn't stand out too much for that.

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,828 of 7,306
In case it's of use to anyone on the ear-tip search, below are my responses to some of the more popular ones in the thread (still to try the KZ starlight inside out trick!)

Spinfit CP240 - First time with double flange and they did indeed provide deep insertion (settle down!) But the signature was mangled beyond enjoyment. I still think the 230s might be a better match, in terms of diameter of tip with diameter of nozzle. I can't even tell you what they did to the signature - like severe top and bottoming. Don't mind having tried them, so that at least I'm no longer curious about them.

Azla Sedna Earfit and Earfit Light - both 'short' - For me, fit wise, these were the best by a little bit. Easy to achieve a great fit with lots of ear-to-IEM contact, good seal. However, there is a little reduction at both the high and low end of the frequency range. It's really a small amount, but it was enough for me to notice. A shame, because the fit is perfect, pretty much.

Azla Xelastec - Initially, fit was still a little tricky but now they seem to be fine, so perhaps there was a slight breaking-in period. These, for me, are the winners. They definitely sound the best out of all the ones I have tried (including clipped foams, regular SpinFits and whatever else I had to hand!). Fit now is good, seal is great, bass and high frequency all accounted for.

The clipped foams are close behind these, but Xelastec is definitely the one I will stick with. Might try the inside out KZ, but will wait a while as I've technically wasted quite a bit of money on tips I will not use (I mean, I don't really see it as a 'waste' per se, but still, I bought 8 pairs of tips which were not dirt cheap and only to conclude that they're not for me....)

As always, this is personal experience and preference. Our ears are different, our hearing is different. Just putting this out there in case it helps someone.

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,829 of 7,306
I think I already answered something similar in the Clairvoyance thread. This is just my opinion, and based on the music I listen to, which is basically rock, metal and progressive.

They are my 2 favorite IEMs currently. So much so that I have been selling almost all the others. The one I like the most of the 2 is the Mest, but I don't think the Clairvoyance is much worse.

I think the Clairvoyance has a more natural tonality. The problem is that the high-mid peak that it has at 2.5kHz is a bit annoying and squeaky on some records or songs. I listen to a lot of metal, so it is probably related to this type of music. If I use the EQ to reduce that area slightly, everything is solved.

Regarding the soundstage, the Mest one is very spectacular, since it is very holographic and 3D. I think the Clairvoyance soundstage is average, it doesn't stand out too much for that.
Thanks for detailed comparison. Since I'm coming from OG Solaris I'm used to the holographic presentation, so I think I'll go with the MEST.

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,830 of 7,306
Thanks for the advice and comments regarding my debated purchase of the MEST. I've decided for now to go with the Sony IER-M9, I've wanted it for ages and concerned a time will come where it's no longer available, already becoming more difficult to find. The MEST or various iterations of it I've no doubt will still be here in a couple of months when I've the urge/saved up enough cash again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back