Under $75 tough iem/earbud/over the ear phones for very sweaty exercise
Jun 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dorfmeister

100+ Head-Fier
I need a phone I can use while exercising at my local gym.  My main criteria is toughness.  These babies need to be able to be abused, soaked in sweat, kept in the car and still keep coming back for more.  It would be a plus if they could still sound decent.

I know Sony makes some really cheap phones that are supposedly made for exercise.  Have not tried them.  I am guessing they sound pretty bad.

Right now I've got Westone UM1's and Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4's.  I like them both with comply's so they won't work as the comply material soaks up sweat, causes irritation to the ear canals and needs to be replaced more often than otherwise.

Any suggestions?

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Instead of purchasing new earphones, why not contact westone and just purchase a set of tips for your um1. Just get the tips that they normally include with their westone 1/2/3 earphones. Should be much cheaper, and the um1 already have a perfect form factor for exercising.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Klipsch S4 - a bit of a bassy sound sig, but not as bad as many of the others I tried.  I ran with them when I had them and had no problems, I really love their seal and fit. 

Plus, Best Buy generally carries them, and they have a pretty good return policy.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 13
Oh you need H2O Audio for sure!  We make fully waterproof headphones in a few different styles and in your price range.  Sweat on 'em and rinse 'em off after your done.  We can even waterproof your phone or MP3 player too.  Don't sacrifice sound for waterproof headphones!  Ours sound great, bass amplified or even balanced armature if that's what you like...

Dana
H2O Audio

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Oh you need H2O Audio for sure!  We make fully waterproof headphones in a few different styles and in your price range.  Sweat on 'em and rinse 'em off after your done.  We can even waterproof your phone or MP3 player too.  Don't sacrifice sound for waterproof headphones!  Ours sound great, bass amplified or even balanced armature if that's what you like...

Dana
H2O Audio

Umm, I honestly don't care but wasn't there something about Vendors posting?  I only bring it up out of fairness to others that have been nailed in the past.  Hopefully I'm wrong and anyone can post whatever.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 13
^
That changed with the forum change to huddler. I'm not sure what the new rules are for MOT however but there was something mentioned before the change that vendors would be allowed to post more. Other MOT have been posting more often however but I don't know if the rules have been updated yet.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
^
That changed with the forum change to huddler. I'm not sure what the new rules are for MOT however but there was something mentioned before the change that vendors would be allowed to post more. Other MOT have been posting more often however but I don't know if the rules have been updated yet.

Cool, in that case nevermind.  So H20 audio!!  You guys make custom applications??

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 13
Hey there!  I was told that I can post as long as it is in response to a question, and what I had to say was relevant.  Being the community manager of our company, it's NEVER our intention to spam, or fill up forums with crap.  It's just that there seem to be quite a few people that don't know that we have a solution to their problem.  I understand the fairness issue, but am very careful to never abuse our privilege of posting here.

In response to the custom question, currently we do not.  It ended up being so expensive that the small amount of people who wanted it didn't justify the cost.  However, we have heard of people taking our headphones to third party companies that make custom ear pieces and have them fitted to our waterproof buds.

Dana
H2O Audio

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 13
hi folks!

i was about to post on the same topic and found this thread.

i have a pair of shure se210's that i enjoy using otherwise.  i tried them at the gym today and had some problems.  i sweat a lot, and 15 minutes into my workout, i noticed that audio wasn't coming through clearly.  i kept taking them out of my ears every so often to wipe the sweat.  after an hour, i was only getting audio from the left side.

i'd like to try them, but the reviews are pretty mixed, at least for the "Surge Waterproof Sport Headphones" - people love 'em or hate 'em - and the ones that hate 'em do so because they don't stay in while swimming.  not the application i was going to use them for, but it's still interesting.

dana,

is this a product design issue or a user issue?  regardless, it's one that deserves attention due to its prevalence.

also, what's the difference between the "Surge Waterproof Sport Headphones" and "Surge Pro Mini Waterproof Sport Headphones?"

thanks!

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 13
Jul 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Melectronics M6 has been working out great for me at the gym, great fit with comply tips and you really can not beat the price.   The sound stacks up well against the ADDIEM and S4, IMO it exceeds the Sennheisers as well and best of all the microphonics on them is almost non-existent.  They do are pretty bass heavy, but that tends to die down with breakin.

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Melectronics M6 has been working out great for me at the gym, great fit with comply tips and you really can not beat the price.   The sound stacks up well against the ADDIEM and S4, IMO it exceeds the Sennheisers as well and best of all the microphonics on them is almost non-existent.  They do are pretty bass heavy, but that tends to die down with breakin.

Yeah I don't mind the V-curve, I find it more fitting for working out.  I couldn't imagine lifting 300lbs and then thinking, "Oh wow, listen to those lush vocals".

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
hi folks!

i was about to post on the same topic and found this thread.

i have a pair of shure se210's that i enjoy using otherwise.  i tried them at the gym today and had some problems.  i sweat a lot, and 15 minutes into my workout, i noticed that audio wasn't coming through clearly.  i kept taking them out of my ears every so often to wipe the sweat.  after an hour, i was only getting audio from the left side.

i'd like to try them, but the reviews are pretty mixed, at least for the "Surge Waterproof Sport Headphones" - people love 'em or hate 'em - and the ones that hate 'em do so because they don't stay in while swimming.  not the application i was going to use them for, but it's still interesting.

dana,

is this a product design issue or a user issue?  regardless, it's one that deserves attention due to its prevalence.

also, what's the difference between the "Surge Waterproof Sport Headphones" and "Surge Pro Mini Waterproof Sport Headphones?"

thanks!

Hi There,
The issue with the Surge Headphones is really neither...when using the headphones submerged in the water, achieving a watertight fit to the ear buds is crucial.  Because everyone's ears are so different there are some people who just aren't able to get the ear buds to fit their ears correctly.  There's also a large number of people who don't read our fit tips, don't experiment with ear tip sizes and then complain when they can't get the fit they want.  There's also a few cases where people have gotten defective headphones, which happens in manufacturing from time to time, but all our headphones have a one-year warranty, so we just replace those right away.  We're well aware of what's said about our products outside of our own website and have taken many suggestions into future design and planning. 

As for the difference between the Surge and the Surge Pro Mini, the Pro Mini is a small ear bud than the Surge and has balanced armature drivers for a much more accurate sound quality.  If you're used to standard headphones and listen mostly to pop or hip hop, those people tend to like the bass heavy, fuller feel of the original Surge headphones.  If you listen to audio books, really detailed music or are just looking for the more studio sound that would come out of a proffessional level in-ear monitor, then the Pro Mini's would be for you.

Hope that helps!

Dana
H2O Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back