Unamped Mostly Female Vocals: Phiaton MS 400 VS Ultrasone 780/750 Vs ATH-PRO700MK2
Aug 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 22
I thought I would provide an update on my search. Over the past month, I purchased, and subsequently returned quite a few pairs of phones. Along the way, I found that comfort is paramount, both in terms of the headband (as I shave my head) and in larger ear pads (I got big ear lobes).

Anyway, I had the following and these are my impressions from limited time with as a newbie;

1) KNS-8400 very comfortable, great separation, not enough bass for me and struggled a bit driving it off of my phone when traveling
2) Ms400 in between size, not big enough to completely cover my ear and therefore not comfortable for me, great sound signature (warm lots of bass)
3) PS500 great size and comfortable for me, lacked the same warmth and bass of the 400
4) HD 380 Pro: ear cups were perfect for my big ears, lightweight, surprising bass, good separation and sound stage-especially considering the isolation and minimal leakage; however, did not have the intimate warm sound that I liked so well with the MS400
5) HD 598: Terrific sound stage and separation, not the bass I like-decided I wanted a sealed can
6) Q40: Relatively warm and intimate sound while still retaining good separation. Too shallow on the ear pads and relative discomfort.

My solution: Kept the Q40s and added the Beyerdynamic Gel pads

Just got the pads installed and look forward to spending some time with them. Already, I can say that they are quite a bit more comfortable than the stock Q40 pads.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/IMAG0095.jpg

I also found a pair of XB700s for $60 and ordered those to try out another pair of HPs with reportedly very comfy ear pads.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and assistance.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #17 of 22
Heh, you're making me want to pick up some Q40s again... I gave mine to my brother a while ago. Those clear gel ear pads are quite odd looking... like silicon bags on your head. The coloured ones are much less obtrusive. Do they warm up quickly?

I really wish I they could have kept the same warmth of the MS400 in the PS500, but the PS500 has a cooler feel and recessed mids in comparison. Now that I've transplanted orthos into mine, the sound sig has kinda reversed. Forward mids, controlled top, slightly lean bass but decent extension down. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
Heh, you're making me want to pick up some Q40s again... I gave mine to my brother a while ago. Those clear gel ear pads are quite odd looking... like silicon bags on your head. The coloured ones are much less obtrusive. Do they warm up quickly?

I really wish I they could have kept the same warmth of the MS400 in the PS500, but the PS500 has a cooler feel and recessed mids in comparison. Now that I've transplanted orthos into mine, the sound sig has kinda reversed. Forward mids, controlled top, slightly lean bass but decent extension down. 

I agree, they are a bit odd looking. The black ones received more negative than positive feedback-something about the coating on them that makes them black also makes them less comfortable etc.

Several people mentioned that they get warm. I have only used them for relatively short sessions and I haven't noticed them getting warmer much faster than the other pads, but they end up warm all the same-not uncomfortably so for me though.

I just got my XB700s in today and I really like these. Nice and lightweight, comfortable, and a fun/engaging sound signature. Plan to A/B them with the Q40 tomorrow.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 22
Cool, looking forward to your impressions. Was it difficult getting the gel pads on there? I think you're the only person who has tried the gel pads on the Q40 so far.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
Cool, looking forward to your impressions. Was it difficult getting the gel pads on there? I think you're the only person who has tried the gel pads on the Q40 so far.

It actually wasn't bad at all. I was a little concerned b/c some of the reviews I'd read about them focused on the difficulty of putting them on; however, that was with putting them on the Beyers. On the q40s, it wasn't bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back