UM Global Deal - The lucky 25 (All slots filled so please stop PM'n me to join)
Feb 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #931 of 1,228
Well, HELL'S BELLS!  Look what the friendly FedEx guy surprised me with today?!

It's a (late) Christmas Day "Miracle" folks!  They included a black clam shell case & cleaning tool too (not pictured).  UM China said my (reshelled/fixed) Miracles would ship out at the end of the month.. well they were pleasantly wrong.. LOL.

This time around, they've nailed the fit!  The seal doesn't break when my jaw is wide open.. no need to gently push the bottom part of the shell to get a full seal, either.. it's simply perfect now.  Thank you, UM, for getting things right.. the wait was worth it.

I went to the same Audiologist who took my impressions for the 1964-Quad & (initial set of) Miracles.  I learned a valuable lesson: Get the impressions taken with my mouth WIDE open.  When I got my first set of impressions (for both the Quads & Miracles), the Audiologist provided a two inch bite block.  I ended up having to get a slight refit on the Quads & the Miracles.  The second time I went, I disregarded the bite block & decided to hold my mouth as wide open as possible (i.e. saying "aaaaahhhh") and biting down on three knuckles.  As a result, I got a much better set of impressions (even the Audiologist agreed) & in turn, a better fitting custom from UM.

Also, the polarity/channel imbalance I heard with the initial pair was NOT my ears playing tricks on me!  There was something very wrong with my first pair (that swapping & turning the cables did not resolve) and, thankfully, it's completely resolved on this pair.  Despite not having the Miracles for nearly two months, I vividly remember how they sounded with the channel imbalance issue (cause I experimented with it so much).  On this pair, I immediately noticed the correction/improvement.  The image was centered, balanced, and still incredibly spacious (Um was not lying when they said these have a ridiculous soundstage).

So, I'm a happy camper at this point.. I'm still very disappointed the upgraded cable issue hasn't been sorted out (and where's my track jacket, dammit?!  I refuse to exercise without it.. I hold UM responsible for me growing fat & lazy 
wink_face.gif
).  Here's hoping the rest of you waiting on reshells & fixes get them sooner than anticipated.

How do they sound?  Glorious.  I'll report my impression on the other UM Appreciation thread.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #933 of 1,228
Thinking about getting a Merlin, can any of you Merlin owners convince me to buy one? =)

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #934 of 1,228

Quote:
Thinking about getting a Merlin, can any of you Merlin owners convince me to buy one? =)

All the universals I have/had sounded like fudge after listening to the Merlin. It's really unfortunate they kept screwing up a simple fix on mine which I'm returning for a refund now. I found even more imperfections on the faceplates after a closer look as well. Maybe UM just hates me.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #936 of 1,228
Hmm I'm just trying to find out which I would prefer for everyday use, the Miracle or the Merlin.  I honestly only wanna keep one iem since it would be redundant to have both.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #939 of 1,228

Hey, gratz man :D Join the club! Just curious, how much did your refit cost(not including impressions).

Sadly, i too have to get a refit.

Refit was free, bud.  Aside from getting new impressions (my Audiologist did them for free though, since the first set didn't work well enough), The cheapest USPS shipping option to China that I felt reasonably comfortable with (I had to send my original Miracles back with the impressions) was more than I expected (~$50 for Int'l Express priority).

UM got it right the second time around and threw in a few extras (as I pictured & noted).

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #942 of 1,228

Quote:
Mine are scheduled to arrive this evening. :D

I will get to see whether they ended up with wood faceplates or carbon fibre (I asked for a late modification, so it may or may not have been done). Either will be great.

Cool, be sure to post your impressions !

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #943 of 1,228
Hooray!!!! I finally received my UM Miracle and Aero this afternoon. After 17 weeks after mailing my impression, it finally arrived to my door step. I will try to post my initial impression once I have a chance to listen them and some photos if I can. I am just glad to receive them at this time. I also want to thank publicly to fellow head-fier named "-y0-" who advised me to email directly to UM. After that email inquiry, they emailed me within hours and promised me to send my order within a week. I was little skeptical at first but it really did arrived one week later to my door step. Thank you -y0- for your input and help. I just hope that I don't have to send them back for refit, crossing my fingers.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #944 of 1,228

Quote:
Hooray!!!! I finally received my UM Miracle and Aero this afternoon. After 17 weeks after mailing my impression, it finally arrived to my door step. I will try to post my initial impression once I have a chance to listen them and some photos if I can. I am just glad to receive them at this time. I also want to thank publicly to fellow head-fier named "-y0-" who advised me to email directly to UM. After that email inquiry, they emailed me within hours and promised me to send my order within a week. I was little skeptical at first but it really did arrived one week later to my door step. Thank you -y0- for your input and help. I just hope that I don't have to send them back for refit, crossing my fingers.

Glad you finally got them! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #945 of 1,228

Quote:
Well, HELL'S BELLS!  Look what the friendly FedEx guy surprised me with today?!

Wow those look great! I hope you're loving the sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back