UM Global Deal - The lucky 25 (All slots filled so please stop PM'n me to join)
Feb 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #946 of 1,228

Props to UM for changing my faceplates to Carbon Fibre at the last minute. The light makes really cool effects on it.

Initial impressions

Due to selling old gear for some newer, I only have the stock cable that they arrived with, and an iPhone. Yet, the Miracles are by far the most detailed/balanced IEMs I've ever heard. What strikes me the most is the instrument separation, as well as the soundstage. Not for those who want lots of bass volume, although the bass quality is impeccable. I can't wait to hear them with the HiFiMAN HM-801.

Build quality

The good:
- The inside is free of bubbles.
- Fit is perfect unless I do some potentially-jaw-breaking movements;

The bad:
- Package was shipped with no protection material, and the red box is broken.
- There is a small mistake for the artwork: the right side faceplate should've had the "UM" logo and not "Unique Melody".
- Carbon Fibre has a minor imperfection (visible on picture 3, top of the left IEM).

Overall very satisfied.

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #947 of 1,228

Quote:

Props to UM for changing my faceplates to Carbon Fibre at the last minute. The light makes really cool effects on it.

Initial impressions

Due to selling old gear for some newer, I only have the stock cable that they arrived with, and an iPhone. Yet, the Miracles are by far the most detailed/balanced IEMs I've ever heard. What strikes me the most is the instrument separation, as well as the soundstage. Not for those who want lots of bass volume, although the bass quality is impeccable. I can't wait to hear them with the HiFiMAN HM-801.

Build quality

The good:
- The inside is free of bubbles.
- Fit is perfect unless I do some potentially-jaw-breaking movements;

The bad:
- Package was shipped with no protection material, and the red box is broken.
- There is a small mistake for the artwork: the right side faceplate should've had the "UM" logo and not "Unique Melody".
- Carbon Fibre has a minor imperfection (visible on picture 3, top of the left IEM).

Overall very satisfied.

Wow I'm really digging the carbon fibre design with the clear shells! I think they look fantastic! 

That's unfortunate the red box is broken though, it doesn't seem like they'd break easily so maybe FedEx dropped something heavy on it. Although you wanted the UM logo, I think the "Unique Melody" still looks great so hopefully that doesn't bother you too much.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #948 of 1,228
I'm almost happy that they both have "Unique Melody", because it leaves more place for sheer carbon awesomeness. :wink:

The red box isn't entirely broken, it's just the lid that doesn't close properly and the felt between the top and bottom is partially ripped. Very minor to me anyways as I have purchased 3 Pelican cases for all my storage needs. :)

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #949 of 1,228
Wow those look great! I hope you're loving the sound!

Thanks.. and they sound fabulous.  Very much on par with the HE-500 & Paradox.  The Miracle's aren't ruler flat.. which I very much like.  The Quads function as my true, neutral, stage monitor so it's great to have a complimentary custom that's 'artfully' colored.

The Miracle's possess this superb balance between sounding incredibly robust & delicate at the same time.  It reminded me of running some reference class phones (LCD-2, HE-500, etc.) through the Burson HA160 (one of my favorite amps).

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #950 of 1,228

Quote:
Refit was free, bud.  Aside from getting new impressions (my Audiologist did them for free though, since the first set didn't work well enough), The cheapest USPS shipping option to China that I felt reasonably comfortable with (I had to send my original Miracles back with the impressions) was more than I expected (~$50 for Int'l Express priority).

UM got it right the second time around and threw in a few extras (as I pictured & noted).

No shipping charges at all?

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #951 of 1,228
No shipping charges at all?

I had to pay to ship the impressions & Miracles back to China (hence, the USPS Int'l Priority quote ~$50 I mentioned).. UM shipped them back to me (via FedEx) for free.  You might want to PM UM Aus about the refit first.. if you can ship them there, it might be quite a bit cheaper than shipping to China.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #952 of 1,228
I see.. Thanks!
Anyway, for those waiting on the ampcity fortis v2 cable.. This is their reply to my email.

I can assure you that the v2 of our AmpCity Fortis cable has added a number of enhancements over our original design, improving all aspects of the cable including durability, flexibility and above all sound quality.

Unfortunately, we are not currently releasing any detailed specifications regarding the actual makeup of the cable and our suppliers. We do use a number of different suppliers for various components and have involved cable experts at every stage of the design and manufacture. I can however say that we have made a shift to more sophisticated and automated manufacturing techniques to improve the quality of the cable and are therefore not using the same person, to make our new v2 Fortis cables.

However, take their reply with a pinch of salt. We can only judge once the cables arrive.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #954 of 1,228

Quote:
Here's the frequency response graph for my pair:

Doesn't look exactly like other graphs, but I like it. It seems the lows are lower, the highs are higher, and sub-500hz is almost ruler-flat.

I'm not convinced the supplied graphs mean a whole lot.  I'm thinking they are done hastily, mainly to test for faulty drivers but I could be wrong.  I would assume graphing customs are much more difficult than universals, since each is shaped to conform to different ears.

BTW you carbon fiber looks great and I personally think Unique Melody spelled out looks classier than the big UM logo.  Nice job.

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #955 of 1,228
Seriously wheres my ampcity silver cable? and sweatshirt?...

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #957 of 1,228
I am hopeful we hear something by end of week. UM Global emailed me last week that the end is in sight.

Also on another thread, I read the Fortis cable has been completely revamped, for the better, and has been part of the reason for the delay. I haven't verified those comments with AmpCity myself, so take that with a grain of salt. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #958 of 1,228
I was charged $45 by UM for a refit. Did anyone else get charged for that?

Quote:
I had to pay to ship the impressions & Miracles back to China (hence, the USPS Int'l Priority quote ~$50 I mentioned).. UM shipped them back to me (via FedEx) for free.  You might want to PM UM Aus about the refit first.. if you can ship them there, it might be quite a bit cheaper than shipping to China.

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #959 of 1,228

Quote:
I was charged $45 by UM for a refit. Did anyone else get charged for that?

Refits are free if within 30 days for UM products. But I believe the Merlin and Miracle have extended refit periods of 60 days. If you are within that time frame and got charged, then you should certainly let UM know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back