UM Global Deal - The lucky 25 (All slots filled so please stop PM'n me to join)
Mar 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #976 of 1,228

Quote:
The Miracles are a strange, lovely beast.. they're so effortless and polite while being very agile and robust.  The presentation is a unique mixture of being highly involving.. but laid back at the same time.  At times, their smooth, virtually inoffensive sound has me thinking they're just raring to 'scream' and belt out something ridiculous cause of their incredible technical abilities.  They're simply unable to 'break a sweat' no matter what you throw at them.  If I didn't know before hand that these had BAs, I would've thought I was listening to one of the finest (multi) dynamic driver IEMs produced.  The natural texturing & timbre is that good.. completely free of grain or unnatural decay.

As I've said before, they're a mix of all the best/most unique/favorite features from my other phones:  the RE262's airy, midrange liquidity, the Silver Bullet's massive soundstage, the HD580's tinge of warmth and smoothness, the Quad's nimble, bottomless, heavenly textured bass, the e-Q5's clarity and control, and the HE-500/Paradox' freakish microdetail, balance, accuracy, and timbre.

I still don't think they'd be for 'everyone' cause they certainly have a (very subtle, refined, sophisticated) signature that might be too polite for some.. but when it comes to technicalities, sheer listening enjoyment (that's non-fatiguing), and immersiveness.. they're incredibly hard to fault, IMO.

Easily among the best $800+ I've spent.. on anything.

I've owned the Miracles for a few months now and it's difficult for me to say that I've heard anything "better" than it.  I haven't really had any serious time with any ortho's but out of all the top teir dynamic headphones that I've owned, it's hard to say that the Miracle isn't near the top of the pile.  Like you said, the Miracle does have a more "sophisticated" signature considering they are so balanced.  I guess the biggest difference you could say about the Miracle compared to an HD800 / T1 is that they can't quite show off the sub-bass frequencies.  Honestly from what I remember, I don't even think my LA7000 had as much sub-bass as the Miracle.  Obviously it was a bassier headphone but I don't think it reached as low in the bass frequencies.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #977 of 1,228
I was shocked at how well the Miracles handle low bass frequencies.  I honestly thought it was going to be bass light.  When I put the Miracles in my ears, I just couldn't get them out since what I was hearing was so fantastic.  I have been listening to the Merlins since last night and I am wowed by these as well.  The bass really is something special.  It goes deeper than the Miracles but feels softer.  I actually feel that the Merlins are easier to listen to, it just seems more smooth.  I really think both are winners and they are both special earphones.  

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #979 of 1,228

Quote:
The graphs would lead me to believe the Miracle is a lot brighter than the Merlin.  Do you find that to be the case?  How would you compare their treble?

It definitely is the case.  It can get hot at times but never like the EX1000.  I can actually handle the treble without any annoyance.  Comparing it to the Merlins, it really doesn't peak too much higher but you can tell the difference.  

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #981 of 1,228
For the Merlin owners, how long of a break-in period did you notice changes?

A couple of days ago, I would have crowned the Miracle a big step above the Merlins.  I would say that I have around 30 hours of use on both CIEMS now and that margin has come down a bit.  At first, the Miracles produced much better impact and was able to achieve marginally better sub-bass.  Now, the Merlins bass has opened up a bit more and it is huge.  It sort of booms and I don't mean that in a bad way.  Just like the Miracles, when a track calls for big bass, it just lights it up with a bang but in bigger quantity than the Miracles.  One thing about the Miracles is that it is so 3D.  I've never heard any earphone/headphone bring this element so well.  It just blows my mind and I can't stop grinning when I have these in.  
The sound is night and day compared to the first set I received.  I really thought customs were a joke because what I was hearing was just blah and did not expect what I am hearing now to happen.  I have kept all my high-end universals and many headphones because I didn't think the Miracle and Merlins were going to amount to much.  Since I've received the re-fits, I have listened to the universals and headphones in the likes of HE-500, LCD-2 and so on and I keep going back to the CIEMS.  I know for the two cans I mentioned has to do with proper set-ups which I lack, but I am astounded at the sound the CIEMS produce.  Fit is so important for those of us who still question if the CIEMS are really worth it or not.  I really can't picture myself listening to anything else from this point on because they sound that good.  I know I have a long way to go before coming to any conclusion on which CIEM is better for my listening pleasures but at the moment, the Miracle deserves the jump in price and ranking at the top of UM's customs.  It just does everything right.  I listen to a lot of electronic music and I actually prefer to hear it with the Miracles, which I would have thought the complete opposite before.  After proper time and taking a bunch of notes, I might actually write my first review of these gems.  Thank goodness patience has paid off.  

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #982 of 1,228

Quote:
For the Merlin owners, how long of a break-in period did you notice changes?

A couple of days ago, I would have crowned the Miracle a big step above the Merlins.  I would say that I have around 30 hours of use on both CIEMS now and that margin has come down a bit.  At first, the Miracles produced much better impact and was able to achieve marginally better sub-bass.  Now, the Merlins bass has opened up a bit more and it is huge.  It sort of booms and I don't mean that in a bad way.  Just like the Miracles, when a track calls for big bass, it just lights it up with a bang but in bigger quantity than the Miracles.  One thing about the Miracles is that it is so 3D.  I've never heard any earphone/headphone bring this element so well.  It just blows my mind and I can't stop grinning when I have these in.  
The sound is night and day compared to the first set I received.  I really thought customs were a joke because what I was hearing was just blah and did not expect what I am hearing now to happen.  I have kept all my high-end universals and many headphones because I didn't think the Miracle and Merlins were going to amount to much.  Since I've received the re-fits, I have listened to the universals and headphones in the likes of HE-500, LCD-2 and so on and I keep going back to the CIEMS.  I know for the two cans I mentioned has to do with proper set-ups which I lack, but I am astounded at the sound the CIEMS produce.  Fit is so important for those of us who still question if the CIEMS are really worth it or not.  I really can't picture myself listening to anything else from this point on because they sound that good.  I know I have a long way to go before coming to any conclusion on which CIEM is better for my listening pleasures but at the moment, the Miracle deserves the jump in price and ranking at the top of UM's customs.  It just does everything right.  I listen to a lot of electronic music and I actually prefer to hear it with the Miracles, which I would have thought the complete opposite before.  After proper time and taking a bunch of notes, I might actually write my first review of these gems.  Thank goodness patience has paid off.  

Haha, it's so hard not to romanticize with the language when explaining the Miracles huh? I'm about to order a pair of Merlins too but I remember not being overly impressed with them when I heard the demo version.  Project86 said they sound a lot better when they are customized though so I'm hoping for the best.

My biggest gripe is that I hope I can appreciate a bassier sound signature now that I'm used to the Miracles.  I used to love Denons and I ended up buying another pair of modified D2000's only to find that I can't really stand listening to them.  The bass, while having a great low end impact, just seems to muddy up the overall sound signature.  I mean it's a super musical headphone but the Miracle just seems to do everything better.  Believe it or not, the Miracles have more sub bass plus a perfect balance of mids and highs.

Do the Merlins still have a similar amount of detail in the highs and mids as the Miracles? I know they are toned down a bit and I remember the highs in the demo version did not impress me what so ever.  Actually I felt like they really lacked highs and that turned me away from them.  DannyBai, please give me some hope for the Merlins!!!

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #983 of 1,228
(MOG + UM Miracle) x Arrow 3G / work = TEN hours of straight listening with the Miracle yesterday.  I threw everything at them.. and capped it off with Pink Floyd's "Wishing You Were Here".. 
basshead.gif

The soundstage is indeed ridiculous.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #984 of 1,228

Quote:
Haha, it's so hard not to romanticize with the language when explaining the Miracles huh? I'm about to order a pair of Merlins too but I remember not being overly impressed with them when I heard the demo version.  Project86 said they sound a lot better when they are customized though so I'm hoping for the best.

My biggest gripe is that I hope I can appreciate a bassier sound signature now that I'm used to the Miracles.  I used to love Denons and I ended up buying another pair of modified D2000's only to find that I can't really stand listening to them.  The bass, while having a great low end impact, just seems to muddy up the overall sound signature.  I mean it's a super musical headphone but the Miracle just seems to do everything better.  Believe it or not, the Miracles have more sub bass plus a perfect balance of mids and highs.

Do the Merlins still have a similar amount of detail in the highs and mids as the Miracles? I know they are toned down a bit and I remember the highs in the demo version did not impress me what so ever.  Actually I felt like they really lacked highs and that turned me away from them.  DannyBai, please give me some hope for the Merlins!!!

I'll have to do some heavy A/B'ing before I get back to you.  Initial response is that the vocals come pretty close but without the spiky treble that the Miracles can produce.  Miracles are much more forward in this department.  As for the treble, I can hear the Miracles are much more pronounced.  I don't think the Merlins do a bad job or anything but the Miracles are a step up.  I just don't want you to be disappointed after you received them because IMO, Miracles are step above in every aspect but bass.  And it doesn't really trump it in the bass department either so far.  I'll keep listening and get a better idea over the weekend.  

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #985 of 1,228
i am curious to see how everyone is driving their Miracle or Merlin. I am driving it direct out of HM-801 with balanced amp module.

I agree with Danny. Miracle indeed turned out to be quite a miracle. The sound stage is completely mind boggling. I could never ever imagined that such a small piece of earphone could beat a LOT of full size headphones out there.

It's so musical and involving that it lets me enjoy music the most. 

UM also did a great job with the tuning of the sound. It is just perfect. Bass is tight, but never bloomy. Treble is airy, but never fatigue. Mid is smooth and intimate, but never too close. I can hardly find any fault at all, and i am quite picky when it comes to headphone.

It's quite impressive driving directly out of iPhone, but until you give it something really capable like HM-801 you have no idea what this custom can really do. I think that i have found a really good combo here. No one has heard the true potential of HM-801 until pairing it with a flagship custom like Miracle.

now only if UM can send us the silver cable to make it even better. :)

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #986 of 1,228

Quote:
i am curious to see how everyone is driving their Miracle or Merlin. I am driving it direct out of HM-801 with balanced amp module.

I agree with Danny. Miracle indeed turned out to be quite a miracle. The sound stage is completely mind boggling. I could never ever imagined that such a small piece of earphone could beat a LOT of full size headphones out there.

It's so musical and involving that it lets me enjoy music the most. 

UM also did a great job with the tuning of the sound. It is just perfect. Bass is tight, but never bloomy. Treble is airy, but never fatigue. Mid is smooth and intimate, but never too close. I can hardly find any fault at all, and i am quite picky when it comes to headphone.

It's quite impressive driving directly out of iPhone, but until you give it something really capable like HM-801 you have no idea what this custom can really do. I think that i have found a really good combo here. No one has heard the true potential of HM-801 until pairing it with a flagship custom like Miracle.

now only if UM can send us the silver cable to make it even better. :)

I wish I had a balanced setup for my Miracles as it brings out the bass and details a bit more right?

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #988 of 1,228

Quote:
Sounds like the new, yet to be released, ALO RX MKIII would be of interested to you.  Single ended and balanced inputs, plus dial-able bass control.

Honestly a lot of my listening gets done at home so I never would take it outside but damn that sounds interesting especially with the bass control.

Quite a bit pricey though.

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #989 of 1,228
RX MKIII is very tempting but I'm opting for the DX100 instead.  No balanced mode but I've never been interested.  I've been trying the CIEMS straight out of the SR-71A and HP-P1 and it just sounds way too good out of the HP-P1 to use any other set-ups I have.  For the Merlin, the dynamic bass really gets addicting and the overall sound is really, really good.  I just don't think anyone could be disappointed with either one.  I'm actually really glad I ended up getting both.  Poetik, I really don't have anything negative to say about the Merlins either.  

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #990 of 1,228
The DX100 is definitely an interesting product.  I'm concerned with the processor and it's ability to handle Android OS system updates in the future, that may or may not be required for apps to run.  I'll be watching the next few months with interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back