ultrasone: worth it to have both ed 8 and ed 9?
Mar 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
I already have an Edition 9. I want to get another headphone, such as edition 8. Is it not recommended to have both the 8s and 9s? ... I will use them balanced, with SR-71B. Hifiman as source. So keep that in mind when giving a recommendation.

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Not that I've heard either of them, but I don't see what the problem is. It's not as if they will react to each other or anything. If you like it, then get it. The only issue I can think of would be synergy issues,

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Not that I've heard either of them, but I don't see what the problem is. It's not as if they will react to each other or anything. If you like it, then get it. The only issue I can think of would be synergy issues,

I think he wanted to know if Edition8 was different enough  from Edition9 to make it a worthwhile purchase. Since it is hard to find a place to audition them, it is a good question for people who own or have heard both. I would like to know that myself.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 5
yes that is what I want to know, I know that they are different but both being closed ultrasone top level cans, maybe it is not worth it to have both . maybe it is better to have more variety. anyone heard both and can say their opinion

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
yes that is what I want to know, I know that they are different but both being closed ultrasone top level cans, maybe it is not worth it to have both . maybe it is better to have more variety. anyone heard both and can say their opinion

Hi Andrew,

This is the mail I got from fellow headfier mopps a couple of years ago when Ed8 first came out:

Hi Paul,

I've already noticed your question in the Ultrasone forum. Sorry for not answering yet, but I don't like to post any mixed feelings about their new masterpiece, particularly as a guest in a sponsor's forum. "Mixed" at present, because it's not fully burnt-in yet (appr. 60-70 h only), and my ears, accustomed to the sound and the S-Logic in Ed9, need to readjust to Ed8 and its S-Logic Plus, apparently. Besides, the also brand-new Earmax SE needs a long burn-in, too. And at last, my English is only "broken spoken" and every writing is a "hard job" for me, fiddling with translators, wiktionary, Leo etc.

But I can say: all the shortcomings of Ed9 are corrected with Ed8 now, i.e. overwhelming bass and damped treble. The Ed8 sounds very balanced, with just a little accentuation at 80-100 Hz and 5-6 kHz (not measured, just in my ears).

The S-Logic Plus seemed at first to produce some strange bass reflections on the housings, whereas mids and treble seem to flow without limits. Sounds weird: Ed8 has a wider soundstage than Ed9, but at the same time its closed back is more noticeable than in Ed9. I think, only a small bandwidth in the bass/upper-bass region is affected, because there are some recordings where I didn't notice this effect at all. I think my ears need a full burn-in to the sound of the Ed8 and the new S-Logic Plus, too.

Feel free to post this in the forum as a first little feedback, if you can manage to correct the text from all the bugs.

Best regards,
Matthias / mopps  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back