Ultrasone Signature DJ
Feb 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #556 of 2,701
Quote:
Came into a small windfall recently, and like any true Head-Fi nutjob, I'm blowing it  on a pair of cans 
size]

I was initially more interested in the SigPros, but snapped up the SigDJs that Felix referred to on Fleabay in a moment of weakness, so we'll see how it goes :wink:. I have a pair of T5p headphones that I absolutely LOVE (seriously, I have fallen asleep to them almost every night since I got them... absolutely otherworldly-good cans), but they don't really do what I originally intended for them to do-- namely, provide me with great sound and isolation while on the go. They don't fold up, they're pretty large, and they don't isolate exceedingly well. Don't think I'll be letting go of those for a looooooooong time, but I still need a nice pair of closed headphones for on-the-go, and these look to fit the bill nicely!! Can't wait to hear them-- and when I do, I'll post some comments here :wink:

Honestly, even over the presumably tectonic bass (which I'm not sure I'll like), my biggest concern is over the looks... I think they look really, really unpleasant. The white is just too blingy for my tastes anyway, and the logo on the glass looks very cheesy and slapped-together IMO. Naturally, there's no accounting for taste, and I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm really hoping I like their looks better in person 
size]

Kudos to all the posters in this thread for their impressions and sharing of links and information!! I wouldn't have purchased these without some of the feedback I read here, so thanks to all 
size]

Quote:
Oh Gratz on winning eBay bid I had max $400 for the used pair. Let me know if the 5 hour play was a true statement. If it was you got a bargain. I am hoping to have mine shipped tomorrow. I returned my m100 sine a) bad isolation, b) cracked wing tip c) strangled me around the neck during sets. I work up to 5 days a week DJing so hoping that SIG DJs will be all that everyone's says it is. On the picture they do look cheesy, however Germans always made quality stuff and not fashionable like French and Italians. And yes I did pay $1054 for them. 5 year warranty and saved ears is more important for me than a fashion statement .

When you hold them in your hands, you can see and feel the quality of the build and materials.  Time will tell, but I perceive these as the most durable headphones I have come across.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #557 of 2,701
I also could not get over the looks of the DJs. Shot a used pair of Signature PRO instead. Perfect stealth like headphones. The bass is perfect but not tectonic. I use it in my office and at home every day. Perfect jack of all trades can for me. Made an 80 cm cable with a 3.5 mm Neutrik plug out of the long cable with the big plug. Vrry convenient to drive the cans directly out of my Walkman or Ipod.
Came into a small windfall recently, and like any true Head-Fi nutjob, I'm blowing it  on a pair of cans 
size]

I was initially more interested in the SigPros, but snapped up the SigDJs that Felix referred to on Fleabay in a moment of weakness, so we'll see how it goes :wink:. I have a pair of T5p headphones that I absolutely LOVE (seriously, I have fallen asleep to them almost every night since I got them... absolutely otherworldly-good cans), but they don't really do what I originally intended for them to do-- namely, provide me with great sound and isolation while on the go. They don't fold up, they're pretty large, and they don't isolate exceedingly well. Don't think I'll be letting go of those for a looooooooong time, but I still need a nice pair of closed headphones for on-the-go, and these look to fit the bill nicely!! Can't wait to hear them-- and when I do, I'll post some comments here :wink:

Honestly, even over the presumably tectonic bass (which I'm not sure I'll like), my biggest concern is over the looks... I think they look really, really unpleasant. The white is just too blingy for my tastes anyway, and the logo on the glass looks very cheesy and slapped-together IMO. Naturally, there's no accounting for taste, and I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm really hoping I like their looks better in person 
size]

Kudos to all the posters in this thread for their impressions and sharing of links and information!! I wouldn't have purchased these without some of the feedback I read here, so thanks to all 
size]

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #558 of 2,701
Quote:
I also could not get over the looks of the DJs. Shot a used pair of Signature PRO instead. Perfect stealth like headphones. The bass is perfect but not tectonic. I use it in my office and at home every day. Perfect jack of all trades can for me. Made an 80 cm cable with a 3.5 mm Neutrik plug out of the long cable with the big plug. Vrry convenient to drive the cans directly out of my Walkman or Ipod.

I understand your preference.  It looks like they have the exact same design, just with different color choices.  I thought the Sig PRO had a boring look where the DJ is more interesting and attention-getting without being gaudy.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #559 of 2,701
Quote:
Oh Gratz on winning eBay bid I had max $400 for the used pair. Let me know if the 5 hour play was a true statement. If it was you got a bargain. I am hoping to have mine shipped tomorrow. I returned my m100 sine a) bad isolation, b) cracked wing tip c) strangled me around the neck during sets. I work up to 5 days a week DJing so hoping that SIG DJs will be all that everyone's says it is. On the picture they do look cheesy, however Germans always made quality stuff and not fashionable like French and Italians. And yes I did pay $1054 for them. 5 year warranty and saved ears is more important for me than a fashion statement .

Thanks man! Knowing that the guy probably got them from RMC for $699 tempers my enthusiasm for the price somewhat, but hey, if I love 'em it'll be worth it in the end anyway :wink:. Hate to hear that you had trouble with the M100... Although I've never heard them, I thought highly enough of the M80 to buy two pairs for the two other audiophiles in my family for xmas, and to take them to work to try to introduce some of my coworkers to what truly good headphones sound like (Bose and Beats are rampant in my workplace... *shudder*). One of my favorite things about the V-Modas I've seen is how insanely well thought-out and designed they seem to be, so I'm surprised to hear about your troubles. 

Sounds like the SigPro and SigDJ are designed to survive the apocalypse anyway, so I'm guessing you and I will be good to go on that front 
size]

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #560 of 2,701
Quote:
When you hold them in your hands, you can see and feel the quality of the build and materials.  Time will tell, but I perceive these as the most durable headphones I have come across.

I should have been more clear-- I have heard nothing but ravingly positive reviews about the durability of the build on these puppies, and I can't recall a single comment about a design flaw or weakness, so I have no doubt they'll be every bit the tanks I imagine them to be. My comments on the build were wholly aesthetic in nature. 

Quote:

Yeah, I actually kind of like the SigPros... They seem understated, but simultaneously utilitarian and subtly classy too. (This is based only on pics, as I've never seen them in the flesh). Honestly, if the DJs don't work out for me, the SigPros are my next stop-- although I'm definitely concerned about the inconsistent QC issues that have been brought up here (kudos on some excellent detective work here btw AnakChan-- no way I'd have figured that out on my own, so thank you!)

Quote:
I understand your preference.  It looks like they have the exact same design, just with different color choices.  I thought the Sig PRO had a boring look where the DJ is more interesting and attention-getting without being gaudy.

Totally agreed that reasonable people can differ in opinion on looks. I think it would be pretty great if they'd offer a white SigPro and a black SigDJ though, just to provide a little more choice for people on both sides of the aesthetic fence. It seems like they have at least seventeen different finishes for the damn Ed 8s, so you'd think it would be the least they could do 
size]

And again, they might really strike me wholly differently in person. I hope to be able to settle that particular matter tomorrow morning! 
size]

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #561 of 2,701
Today I flew from Helsinki to Rovaniemi and I had to try my Sigdj at the loudest enviroment I can get to. I was sitting in the middle of the plane and next to the engines which sucked a lot. It was the first time I heard bass in a plane :D isolation was good enough to let me focus on the music which is crazy imo.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #562 of 2,701
Quote:
Today I flew from Helsinki to Rovaniemi and I had to try my Sigdj at the loudest enviroment I can get to. I was sitting in the middle of the plane and next to the engines which sucked a lot. It was the first time I heard bass in a plane
biggrin.gif
isolation was good enough to let me focus on the music which is crazy imo.

This bodes well... This is the sort of performance I was hoping for! Thanks for the feedback, Stratok!!

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #563 of 2,701
Quote:
Today I flew from Helsinki to Rovaniemi and I had to try my Sigdj at the loudest enviroment I can get to. I was sitting in the middle of the plane and next to the engines which sucked a lot. It was the first time I heard bass in a plane
biggrin.gif
isolation was good enough to let me focus on the music which is crazy imo.

This is what really puts the Sig DJ ahead of the Sig Pro as a portable.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #564 of 2,701
My Loudest event to try theses will be ultra festival in Miami. Had a bad conversation today with V Moda .  Am now fully convinced that besides the sound quality there is nothing for DJs with m-100s. Too bad I had hoped the V Moda management would be more flexible with their policy.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #565 of 2,701
Got the SigDJ in yesterday, and still listening, but by way of a very quick overview: at this point, I think the SigDJ are a far more truly portable headphone, but I've got to say that at this point, I prefer the actual sound of the T5p by a significant margin. There's still a lot to like about the SigDJ, but I find everything just a bit too smooth-sounding. (Metal guitars aren't smooth, they kick your sorry ass!!!! 
size]

I'm keeping notes on my thoughts as I go along, and I'll share them once I feel confident about my conclusions. Thanks for all the good feedback on these from the posters here!!

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #566 of 2,701
Quote:
Got the SigDJ in yesterday, and still listening, but by way of a very quick overview: at this point, I think the SigDJ are a far more truly portable headphone, but I've got to say that at this point, I prefer the actual sound of the T5p by a significant margin. There's still a lot to like about the SigDJ, but I find everything just a bit too smooth-sounding. (Metal guitars aren't smooth, they kick your sorry ass!!!! 
size]

I'm keeping notes on my thoughts as I go along, and I'll share them once I feel confident about my conclusions. Thanks for all the good feedback on these from the posters here!!

Thanks.
I always wanted to try the T5p's... maybe I'll get those next! :wink:
So, waiting for your impressions.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #567 of 2,701
Listening to Queen Absolute Greatest in flac format pumping out from Hifiman HM603, through Oyaide copper cable to SigDJ, even though on the bus in HK traffic, is music to the ears. The bass, the guiters, the vocal, the separation, the space, the left and right surround. Pure enjoyment.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #568 of 2,701
I have added several albums from female vocalists paired with acoustic guitar and piano specifically because of how well the SigDJ reproduces this genres.  Some artist that are blowing me away with the SigDJ include Suzanne Vega, Sheryl Crow, Norah Jones, Fiona Apple, Natalie Merchant, Christina Perri and last, but not least, Jewel.

What is really amazing is that I can swich from this music to EDM, like David Guetta, and be equally as impressed.  The bass slams when called upon and wow does it slam!

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #569 of 2,701
Quote:
I have added several albums from female vocalists paired with acoustic guitar and piano specifically because of how well the SigDJ reproduces this genres.  Some artist that are blowing me away with the SigDJ include Suzanne Vega, Sheryl Crow, Norah Jones, Fiona Apple, Natalie Merchant, Christina Perri and last, but not least, Jewel.

What is really amazing is that I can swich from this music to EDM, like David Guetta, and be equally as impressed.  The bass slams when called upon and wow does it slam!

I think SDJ has very good balance sound between Bass Mid and Treble. Although I know it has little more bass than other parts of sound but its dam solid!!

I think SDJ is the best tuned headphone for my taste. I also use SDJ for classical music and I have no problem listening them. wide staging, tight and deeeeeeeeeeeep bass

impressive mid and crystal clear treble! every instruments sound so active, vivid, and clear~ Love my SDJ so~~~~~much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back