Ultrasone Signature DJ
Nov 30, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #391 of 2,701
Quote:
I recieved my Ultrasone signature DJ yesterday. I spent about 7 hours that evening listening, comparing and finding a great deal of new music that I would never have considered listening to before. Songs like Whitney Houston - I will always love you sound great in these, and  I would just melt. 

As stated above, I returned my Ultrasone pro 900. Many people loved the pro 900 while others complained about the sibilance. I am very picky about sibilance so for me it was a big dealbreaker. These are like the remake of the 900 and they lack sibilance (although it is not impossible to accomplish some sibilance in extreme cases because of the detailed treble). With these I don’t even throw them off and go “Oouch!! Damn it! Why the hell would they make these like that!?” once in a while. With the old 900s it was very difficult to watch a movie in which someone banged on metal, shot a gun, or spoke without getting cut in the ear.

I have not met this type of clarity since the pro 900. If I am not mistaking, the midrange on these ones are not as muted and gone is the shrill metallic sound of the 900. Brain burn-in time was very short, they sounded good pretty early. There's chrystal clearness, separation, lifelike instruments. When they work their best, listening to these is like getting licked in the ear by God who does not exist. I am going to keep these.

What else...well these are my personal opinions, and I'm not a true audiophile. My other big headphones are "M-AUDIO STUDIOPHILE Q40" , and while they are not bad at all..a lot of hibbityjibbity for the buck and the bass is not far from ultrasone, they lack clarity.

[size=10pt]My cellphone (samsung galaxy note 2) is too weak to make justice to these headphones ..does anyone have any recommendation on a portable AMP?[/size]

How does the bass quantity compare to the ultrasone pro 900's and the beats pro?

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #392 of 2,701
Quote:
Sometimes I just dont know the difference between the two in terms of bass..., so I hope someone else could help descibe it a bit better. I will have to do some more testing. Q40 is an absolutely great pair of headphones, just with a little bit different sound. The bass is rather similar. Both are somewhat equally strong,..but the quality is maybe a little better on the ultrasone, I have compared quite a bit..using bass-heavy songs like Ludacris - how low...Flux pavillion - Digital controller, but also other types of music such as country (Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton - Islands in the stream, John Denver - Country roads), but i havent figured it out quite yet. I would maybe say that the bass is more clearly defined, warmer instead of boastful and boomy. But don't expect it to be stronger.

The thing is that it feels like the bass and treble play in harmony with eachother on the ultrasone.. Other headphones would be more prone to muddle the sound all together. But due to the V-shaped soundstage of these, it really feels like the bass and treble are treated by two separate entities, meaning that boosting the bass wont affect the clarity, according to me. I hope it helps a little.

Thank you, this does help somewhat.  I'm not hearing enough just yet to pull the trigger and I think I will want to compare to AKG Tiesto K267 and Velodyne V-True somehow.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #394 of 2,701
This one? http://www.orangesoda.se/20121201_ultrasonecable.jpg Well, it seems like it is made for when you are out and about. You may use the thicker cable for a more studio experience.

Also, it has no volume control. It has a microphone that let's you pick up calls when you are listening on your phone. It also has one button. On my andoid-phone one press pauses the song, a long press lets me make a spoken google search. A double click plays the next song.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #399 of 2,701
Dec 2, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #400 of 2,701
Hmm I'm actually starting to get a bit worried. I think that last night I felt that the ears were a bit fatigued.  And you know the type of white noise that can be present in a healhty human being exposed to 100% lonely quietness can hear, maybe due to audible bodily sensations? It felt like it got louder, as if I had exposed myself to something loud. It wasn't oveershadowing everything else, and there was no ringing, but it was always present. Maybe I got sick with hypocondria when the thoughts of tinnitus run rampant in my mind, or mabe headphones shouldn't be as cclear as these are? What are your ideas on the subject? Maybe I am not used to this chrystal clearness, and because the higher frequences are so overdimensioned, maybe my hearing will take damage very quickly. Have you heard stories about this? As far as I know, while many of the ultrasones suffer from sibilance, I haven't heard people who developed early stages of tinnitus from them quite this early.

By the way, I don't even consider myself to be playing loudly, I try to take care of my ears. And that could just be the thing, that the higher pitches are way too loud but I can not truly sense it.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #401 of 2,701
Dec 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #402 of 2,701
Well, it looks like RMC has the Signature DJ in stock now, but upped the price slightly to $749.  I really want these, but think I need to try the AKG K267 and Velodyne VTrue first.  I am thinking out loud and wondering if either of those could possibly match the Sig DJ in SQ or if I should just go for the budget-buster Sig DJ and call it a day.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #403 of 2,701
Quote:
Thanks for posting this. There are also reviews of the DJ1 and DJ PRO on that site, very helpfull. My PRO-550 is merely a different coloured DJ PRO. Again very helpfull.

Glad you found it helpful.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #404 of 2,701
I cannot find any cup size measurements on the web for the Signature DJ or PRO. The PRO-550 and the PRO-2900 have 55 mm inner diameter and are 20 mm deep. As I have rather big ears the inner size of the ear cups is always the first criteria for comfort for me. I know that the cups of the Signatures are oval, but the size is not published anywhere.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #405 of 2,701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back