Ultrasone Signature DJ
Aug 20, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,311 of 2,701
  I agree with this. 

I tried to understand the principle behind hd800 soundstage for some time. 

For now, I only think that it is an engineering piece of art. 

The official importator of ultrasone refused to let me listen today some ultrasones. so... I am not sure what do i do now. I need new over the ear headphones, with very good treble extension, but closed back. 

Hard to beat the Signatures. Maybe with a TH900, but it's not so portable - neither is the LCD-XC. 

... I feel like the Edition 8 has more treble than the Sig Pro...

Oh it does. I really wanted to like that headphone, I owned it twice. But the high end was just a little too much. Reminds me of a slightly laid back Pro 900 - ouch. I prefer the SP and SDJ. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #2,312 of 2,701
  Have you tried any of the Edition series? Probably a dumb question since you just said you couldn't listen to some, lol. I feel like the Edition 8 has more treble than the Sig Pro.

EDIT: Should clarify I've never heard the Ed 8, but that's what the impression seems to be. I really want to hear the Edition 5, personally. :)

edition 5 has an un-natural sound for me. 

Something about mids being too much, like plasticky, and treble not enough, whilst not having enough bass either. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #2,313 of 2,701
  edition 5 has an un-natural sound for me. 

Something about mids being too much, like plasticky, and treble not enough, whilst not having enough bass either. 

Huh, that's actually very interesting. That's the first real negative feedback (at least concerning sound) that I've heard for that model. Still want to hear them, though... lol

I'm plenty happy with my Sig Pros now that I have the ZMF pads installed. They're currently at BTG Audio getting reterminated with dual mini-XLR connectors, so I'm looking forward to even better sound when I get them back. :)

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #2,314 of 2,701
  Huh, that's actually very interesting. That's the first real negative feedback (at least concerning sound) that I've heard for that model. Still want to hear them, though... lol

I'm plenty happy with my Sig Pros now that I have the ZMF pads installed. They're currently at BTG Audio getting reterminated with dual mini-XLR connectors, so I'm looking forward to even better sound when I get them back. :)

I love ultrasone signature dj and dj one pro sound. 

edition 5 is totally on the other side. Like blooming the mids, around 2-4Khz, then killing the top end, and getting very little low end. The bass roll off starts around 50hz. 

At least the pair I heared. connected to a Fiio x5. 

At the price, I would rather buy hd800, Lcd3, th900. Sig dj and sig pro is much better in my book. 

Now I need to buy a sig dj or a sig pro.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,315 of 2,701
  I need new over the ear headphones, with very good treble extension, but closed back. 

For treble extension I don't think the Sig Pro is the way to go... to me they are actually rather lacking in that regard, with a slightly metallic tone to the lower treble (which the Sig DJ does not exhibit). I like the all-black appearance of the Sig Pro better, but soundwise I much prefer the Sig DJ.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #2,316 of 2,701

For treble extension I don't think the Sig Pro is the way to go... to me they are actually rather lacking in that regard, with a slightly metallic tone to the lower treble (which the Sig DJ does not exhibit). I like the all-black appearance of the Sig Pro better, but soundwise I much prefer the Sig DJ.

Thanks. 

This helps me guide my purchase towards a Sig Dj, 

Do you have any ideea what is the lowest price I can fiind sig dj?

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,318 of 2,701
  Thanks. 

As @gelocks suggested looking for a used unit may be the best option... and they are quite robust, so I think buying used is fine.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,320 of 2,701

You find treble extension lacking in the Sig Pros? That's so weird to me, as everyone who hears my pair comments on how far up the treble goes without being fatiguing. Maybe burn in or QC? Because this is on various sources, as well. (Although generally all fairly high quality.)

Thanks. 

If you want to get new, ask RMC Audio for a quote.

$200 replacement stock earpads from Ultrasone are the only deterrent imo if you're looking into a used pair with heavy wear.

I can't remember if I mentioned it here or only on the Sig Pro thread, but I actually MUCH prefer the ZMF pads to stock on my SP's. They're bulkier, but soundstage is improved and comfort is 2-3 times as good. (I've only used the cowhide pads, don't know how the lambskin would compare.)

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,321 of 2,701
  You find treble extension lacking in the Sig Pros? That's so weird to me, as everyone who hears my pair comments on how far up the treble goes without being fatiguing. Maybe burn in or QC? Because this is on various sources, as well. (Although generally all fairly high quality.)

I tried them with some sources, but never got the hand of them, in part due to them presenting treble in a way I don't really like (for reference: I like the T1 best in that regard).
It may be a simple case of different signature, i.e. not enough brain burn in... I may try another sample at the end of September, but I've heard them already at Musikmesse in the past, so I don't consider my pair defective.
Plus its not only missing extension (i.e. sparkle up top), what annoys me is the slightly metallic touch I mentioned above... which the Sig DJ does not have, presenting a smoother treble while still missing the last bit of high treble for my taste. But thats one reason I prefer the Sig DJ over the Pro (and having different membrane materials may even explain that difference partially).

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2,323 of 2,701
xD Not sure if you checked who you quoted. ZMF impressions are in my forum sig as well. I was strictly speaking cost of stock pads if these potential owners find them comfortable already and enjoy the stock sound reproduction. ZMF pads are certainly more affordable than Ultrasone's.

lmao Oops! I'm posting here at work and I guess I wasn't paying attention. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #2,325 of 2,701

I agree. I have both the Sig PRO's and Sig DJ's and spend 85% of the time with the DJ's. The PRO's have more midrange and sound congested sometimes as a result. The DJ's are just more fun:)

Curse the white color though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back