Ultrasone Signature DJ
Aug 7, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #1,996 of 2,701
no, not replace cable w/ signature pro.  My plan is, after I replace the cable and hopefully the ear pad, then  I don't have to rush to buy a german made headphone, I'm tempt to buy it, but I have other electronics toy that I want to buy first, like the canon 1 dx.

The cable is only $14, and I am hoping to replace the ear pad too, but I  have never done it before.  I use sony mdr-v900

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-DJ-Headphone-Cable-Cord-Line-With-PLUG-for-Repairing-Headphones-/251543055317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a91226bd5

what is the connector of the other end looks like for the signature pro?  Because at moon audio, the other end looks like this:

http://d1p66qganyivs8.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/u/l/ultrasone_signature_pro_hardwiresplitmod_3_1.jpg

but they did say they made some changes on the headphone

whereas I need the other end to be a standard jack/plug like this:

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/WYF/dsc_0648.jpg

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #1,998 of 2,701
  Part of the reason seems to be that there is a learning curve to it. Some see the improvements easily and clearly, some not so much so.

Yes, hearing can definitely be trained. Think about what DJs are doing when beat matching: listening to two different tempos on left/right, get the difference (which is faster), analyze beat structure and adjust -- a dauntingly complex task for some time... but you can learn that.

Same about listening to differences, developing ones own taste in sound etc. Though I'd advise against becoming caught up in analyzing and forgetting the fun part about that... This may be why I could never warm up to the HD800 but love my T1.

So its a step by step process... its very important to take your time at each step. And have fun along the way. Bonus point: there is fun at each level to be had, not only at the top. The Sig DJ, while rather up, is not summit fi but definitely not a necessary expense when starting out.

I think too many become tangled in the web of high end... chasing another high (i.e. getting another thing) while not enjoying what they have, not enjoying their music but just using it to look for flaws in their gear. What a pity.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #1,999 of 2,701

The entire cable should be replaceable unless of course the cost would be higher than what the headphone itself is worth.
  May I ask what headphone you are referring to? (the one you've owned for 10 years)

I have a quick question: 

I call a 2nd technician of another co., he said he can cut the old jack and replace it w/ a new one.  So there is a conflict, the 1st technician said no headphone cable can be solder, as it's tinsel wire.  The  2nd technician said he has cut old jack off and replace it w/ new ones.

Who's  telling the truth?

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #2,001 of 2,701
With the Sig Pro I got two cable. One 1.2 meter with the small jack and a 3 meter with the big jack. I cut the long cable after 0.6 meter and soldered a new 3.5 mm jack to the cable. Why should this be impossible? Maybe you need to cut of some of the csble to exclude the part that is broken, but why should this be impossible?

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #2,003 of 2,701

I think too many become tangled in the web of high end... chasing another high (i.e. getting another thing) while not enjoying what they have, not enjoying their music but just using it to look for flaws in their gear. What a pity.

:O I hope i'm not included :)
Definitely i'm not, I went that up to keep hold on it for a very long time (8+ years), better than upgrading step by step M50>M51>M51.5 etc... :)

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,004 of 2,701
Yes, hearing can definitely be trained. Think about what DJs are doing when beat matching: listening to two different tempos on left/right, get the difference (which is faster), analyze beat structure and adjust -- a dauntingly complex task for some time... but you can learn that.

Same about listening to differences, developing ones own taste in sound etc. Though I'd advise against becoming caught up in analyzing and forgetting the fun part about that... This may be why I could never warm up to the HD800 but love my T1.

So its a step by step process... its very important to take your time at each step. And have fun along the way. Bonus point: there is fun at each level to be had, not only at the top. The Sig DJ, while rather up, is not summit fi but definitely not a necessary expense when starting out.

Beat matching - the real test for this is mixing vinyl using decks like the Technics 1210mk2's and using 1210's manual slider pitch adjuster to synch beats - that's the old skool way and the real makings of an accomplished DJ for sure.

Forget about auto synch with midi mixer connected to laptop - that's as easy as just pushing a button :wink:

Moral of the story: asking oneself questions like "do I even mix?" "do I even audiophile?" "do I even lift?" - could circumvent disappointments or mis expectations :wink:

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #2,005 of 2,701
  I have a quick question: 

I call a 2nd technician of another co., he said he can cut the old jack and replace it w/ a new one.  So there is a conflict, the 1st technician said no headphone cable can be solder, as it's tinsel wire.  The  2nd technician said he has cut old jack off and replace it w/ new ones.

Who's  telling the truth?

IMO probably worth a try with the 2nd tech as long as it doesn't break the bank.  No point in putting good money into a sub par headphone (not being a snob, but you know what I mean).

Or your other approach could be to simply trash the old beater and invest in a shiny new top tier hp[size=small] [/size]
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #2,007 of 2,701
As the Godfather of this thread, I request more impressions and discussion.

Carry on.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2,008 of 2,701
Lol

Been meaning to post that they still give me just as much of a wow factor as ever, although the wow factor from any other methods of listening to music has been severly reduced xD

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #2,009 of 2,701
Third that!!!

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2,010 of 2,701
I feel that the signature djs forum isnt as active mainly because everyone who owns one is extremely satisfied, so the only ones who post are the ones who want to get one, just got one, dislike the sound(didnt give enough time :D), or are selling/upgrading one to the th900 and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back