Ultrasone Signature DJ
Mar 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #1,426 of 2,701

Those Pro 500s are amazing, eh? Just got my pair a few days ago. Not very comfortable for 1+ hour sessions(even for my oval head shape) but their sound is so very natural and enjoyable- easily a favorite in my collection. I almost like them better than the Sig DJ but not really sure yet...

Hahaha ... actually, I meant HPH-MT220s ... ..
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

(I sold my Pro 500s for what seems ages ago due to that same reason... comfort just sucks for me!!! I liked the sound so much that I decided to give Yamaha another chance and did so with the MT220s... :wink: )

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,427 of 2,701

Hahaha ... actually, I meant HPH-MT220s ... ..
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

(I sold my Pro 500s for what seems ages ago due to that same reason... comfort just sucks for me!!! I liked the sound so much that I decided to give Yamaha another chance and did so with the MT220s... :wink: )

Yeah, not a fan of the comfort but they sound so GOOD...it's a pain/pleasure thing, I guess. lol. Are the sound sigs considerably different?

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,428 of 2,701

Yeah, not a fan of the comfort but they sound so GOOD...it's a pain/pleasure thing, I guess. lol. Are the sound sigs considerably different?

For the MT220s and Pro 500s?
Oh yeah, they are. The MT220s are a bit more balanced definitely. Bass is not as thunderous and upfront (but it is present!), mids are more pronounced and forward and the highs are a tiny bit bumped. I enjoy their sound a whole lot, for the price I got them, they are definitely winners!

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #1,429 of 2,701
I have to apologize folks. It looks like I won't in fact be picking up the Signature DJ in the near future at all. After demoing the HE-6 and LCDX It looks like I'll be picking both up. I've actually just sold off my TH600 as the DX1000 kicked its arse.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #1,430 of 2,701
As much as the Sig Dj is top shelf its refreshing to see the DX-1000 getting some recognition.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #1,431 of 2,701
Hello all

I'm in the market for the Signature DJ if anyone is thinking of selling. PM me if interested. Cheers.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #1,432 of 2,701
Bugger, I was hoping to read more on the TH600 vs DJ! I'm thinking of buying one but not being able to hear them I cannot decide :xf_mad: 

I might have to buy both and send one back if I don't like it as much as the other. I'm from Newcastle NSW btw.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,433 of 2,701
I though I should bump this. The Ultrasone Signature DJ rocked up today. I've got a TH600 on the way as well to see which one I keep. The TH600 should be here by Tuesday at the latest. Comparison coming soon. I've got an Audio GD NFB 15.32 here.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,434 of 2,701
I though I should bump this. The Ultrasone Signature DJ rocked up today. I've got a TH600 on the way as well to see which one I keep. The TH600 should be here by Tuesday at the latest. Comparison coming soon. I've got an Audio GD NFB 15.32 here.

Sounds sweet! There are a lack of comparisons between the two, i would love to know how the bass, clarity ect compare

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,435 of 2,701

Excellent. I'm REALLY interested in these two!

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,437 of 2,701
I'll try taking the pictures later but I must say owning both of these fabulous phones for a while that the pads "wear -in" and feel differently. The DJ's are more clamping,isolating,and yet smoother and more comfortable. They retain their "newness" more. The PRO's are a little "mushier" and feel rougher/rawer against the skin and allow for a little more leakage.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,438 of 2,701

Quote:
  This is probably a strange request but would someone that has owned either the Sig Pro or Sig DJ for a while mind taking a closeup picture of their earpads? 

Top left : Sig DJ 12 month old  Top right Sig Pro 4 weeks old
Down middle old Sig Pro pads from 11/2011
I replaced the Sig Pros pads recently because they got uncomfortable. The first owner used them a lot and they were kinda worn out from the beginning of me owning them. I think the foam inside just degrades over time. The new ones are top notch quality and comfort. Please note that the sound did not change with the old pads, only the comfort got much better again.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,439 of 2,701

Top left : Sig DJ 12 month old  Top right Sig Pro 4 weeks old
Down middle old Sig Pro pads from 11/2011
I replaced the Sig Pros pads recently because they got uncomfortable. The first owner used them a lot and they were kinda worn out from the beginning of me owning them. I think the foam inside just degrades over time. The new ones are top notch quality and comfort. Please note that the sound did not change with the old pads, only the comfort got much better again.

Perfect. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,440 of 2,701
Been listening to both the TH600 and Sig DJ for some time now. There a definite differences despite sharing a U shaped response.

The TH600
- Has a larger soundstage and more open sound overall - as expected because they have small ports to let sound out and air in. The openness and soundstage size are instantly recognizable as being better/larger than the DJ
- Both have fantastic separation but the TH600 has instruments and sounds with larger gaps between them overall. This is mostly just a soundstage size/space affecting the imaging.
- The TH600 has more prominent treble, which can be quite splashy and harsh at the worst of times. I like to describe some of these harsh tones as being almost glass like as if someone smashed a bottle next to your ears. I'm not noting sibilant but a very hard and hot edge. However this harshness manifests only on about 1/15 of my tracks and on some that it appears its not as bad as it can get. I've seen graphs showing up a hardness in the 5-6 KHZ range which agrees with my ears.
- The TH600 has a thin sounding midrange, vocals were noticeably back and with a larger soundstage can sound a bit further back in the sound. On the flipside, listening to certain classical and also electronic ambient/psy albums you get a fair bit of depth that the Sig DJ doesn't match. The DJ by comparison seems more upfront and a bit more aggressive in the mids, guitars and vocals.
- The TH600 has some fairly strong sub bass rumble and you can feel the bass tickle your skin at higher volume, but it does not impact very hard. More than most other 1k headphones but not nearly as impacting as the Signature DJ
- The TH600 is much more comfortable and feels fairly loose on the head. 
- The TH600 doesn't isolate well and leaks sound quite a bit. High volume bleeds like an open headphone.
- Forget using the TH600 outside, its also a fair bit bigger than the Sig DJ. 

Signature DJ
- Drill like bass impact. The bass on these hits very hard when listening to trance, dubstep and other EDM genres with those continuous low bass beats that we all love on our subwoofers. The impact is much more powerful than the TH600.
- On the other hand the very very lowest bass does not give the same pulsating vibration as the TH600, the Sig DJ must have a curve upward around 50hz - 80hz or something similar. Not saying you won't feel it but as the TH600 has less impact you can focus more in on the low 20-40hz sound in artists like Synthetic Epiphany - Check wind in the trees or similar.
- For me personally the Signature DJ has far more aggression to its sound and is more weighty, forward and powerful. The TH600 seems thinner and more laid back despite its bass and treble elevations. Both are fun and forward compared to other "analytic headphones" of course, but non of us are interested in that are we 
biggrin.gif

- The Sig DJ leaks very little to no sound and can isolate train noise, cars, talking and such when music is playing in a sinch. 
- The Signature DJ can be used portable to get result, but you will get a few looks from people because they are still rather large compared to some other portables and they stand out being mostly white.
- I find the DJ comfortable, but I have small ears. But you will remember you are wearing them as they clamp solidly. 
- The DJ with its more forward sound kicks the TH600 arse for rock, metal and genres as such. The TH600 might get away with being "ok" for soundtracks and classical - but its mids lack the presence to give this absolutely the best treatment.
- I never found the Sig DJ to have any treble problems, even though it is *slightly* elevated. Much more smooth and agreeable than the TH600. 
- Bass guitar and drums are way heftier sounding than on the TH600 which for whatever reason seems to lack bottom end to guitars, voices and Bass guitars/drums. I've seen this on another sites measurements which show a scooped out lower mid/midbass range.

I'm keeping both, but overall I prefer the DJ. The TH600 will get its use for expansive stuff like Shpongle, Solar Fields, Global Communications, Future Sound of London etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back