Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jan 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #1,381 of 2,701
I do.  To my ears the bass is deeper on the dj than the 7000.  The dj's are more resolving.  The 7000 is not a portable phone and no longer made so kind of hard to find.  I like them both and would have a hard decision to make if I had to give one up but would probably keep the dj's although the 7000 are a little bit more comfortable to me.  7000 does not have user a user replaceable cord and does not have a single sided cord like the dj.  Every little point matters to some users. To me I like the deeper bass and clarity of sound of the dj.  I also have HD600 and HD650 both with custom cords and I prefer the sound of both the 7000 and dj to the Senns but comparing a open back to closed back phone probably isn't really fair as they are two different animals.  What I like and what you like might be totally different.   Buy a dj where you have a 30 trial.  That is the only way you can tell if it is for you.

But if portability and isolatation arent a factor you can always get the d7000's and have them modded later B)

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,383 of 2,701
  I do.  To my ears the bass is deeper on the dj than the 7000.  The dj's are more resolving.  The 7000 is not a portable phone and no longer made so kind of hard to find.  I like them both and would have a hard decision to make if I had to give one up but would probably keep the dj's although the 7000 are a little bit more comfortable to me.  7000 does not have user a user replaceable cord and does not have a single sided cord like the dj.  Every little point matters to some users. To me I like the deeper bass and clarity of sound of the dj.  I also have HD600 and HD650 both with custom cords and I prefer the sound of both the 7000 and dj to the Senns but comparing a open back to closed back phone probably isn't really fair as they are two different animals.  What I like and what you like might be totally different.   Buy a dj where you have a 30 trial.  That is the only way you can tell if it is for you.

Sorry for the typo, but I mean to say Denon D7100.
Anyway thanks for your replay.
But I guess D7100 is still not as portable as Sig DJ.
And I love the single sided cord design and the portable case come with Sig DJ.

Btw can anyone compare D7100 and Sig DJ please?

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,385 of 2,701
Unexpectedly received these early in the mail today.

Out of the box impressions are that they don't really look like expensive headphones (I don't care about that though)

Comfort is rather poor.  I can deal with the clamping pressure, there just really isn't enough padding.  I would always prefer too much clamping over too little though, the D600's are more comfy but feel like they are going to fall off your head which is way worse than this.  The real problem with the comfort of the SigDJ's seems to be the headband.  There is a weird pressure point in the middle which is bothersome.  I will get used to it though, comfort is not a priority for me.

I don't make judgements on sound right out of the box.  Burn-in is very real, whether it is driver burn in or brain burn in is irrelevant to me because in the end they always sound different after a few days.  I will say that initial impressions are good, these are the first ones I have tried that I didn't dislike immediately.  Even the HE-400's I didn't like at first.  The SigDJs definitely have a clean and tight but still prominent bass, and the clarity of the mids and highs is good enough for me it seems.  Definitely notice a recession in the mids which worries me that it will hurt the "immersiveness" of the sound for me, but like I said I am not judging yet.

It is a very good sign that I don't immediately regret my purchase though like I did with all the other headphones I tried.  Will give an actual review in a few days when I can digest the sound signature more.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,386 of 2,701
  Unexpectedly received these early in the mail today.

Out of the box impressions are that they don't really look like expensive headphones (I don't care about that though)

Comfort is rather poor.  I can deal with the clamping pressure, there just really isn't enough padding.  I would always prefer too much clamping over too little though, the D600's are more comfy but feel like they are going to fall off your head which is way worse than this.  The real problem with the comfort of the SigDJ's seems to be the headband.  There is a weird pressure point in the middle which is bothersome.  I will get used to it though, comfort is not a priority for me.

I don't make judgements on sound right out of the box.  Burn-in is very real, whether it is driver burn in or brain burn in is irrelevant to me because in the end they always sound different after a few days.  I will say that initial impressions are good, these are the first ones I have tried that I didn't dislike immediately.  Even the HE-400's I didn't like at first.  The SigDJs definitely have a clean and tight but still prominent bass, and the clarity of the mids and highs is good enough for me it seems.  Definitely notice a recession in the mids which worries me that it will hurt the "immersiveness" of the sound for me, but like I said I am not judging yet.

It is a very good sign that I don't immediately regret my purchase though like I did with all the other headphones I tried.  Will give an actual review in a few days when I can digest the sound signature more.

Regarding the headband issue with comfort - the Sennheiser HD650 headband pad ($17) solves the issue.  Order it from Sennheiser USA (on Long Island, NY) and when it arrives it actually installs without any adhesive/double stick tape.  Just loosen the two screws on each side and slip the end of the pad under it, center it up and tighten down the screws.  Done and problem solved.  This was a mod started by Sorensiim for the Ultrasone Pro900 but I took it a step further and used it on my Signature Pro before I sold it, as well as using it on both my D7000 and D2000 by using double stick tape, as well as on my Pro900. 

I found the ear pads to be problematic for me, which is why I ended up trading my Sig Pro for a D7000.  Best trade I've ever made.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,387 of 2,701
Subbed, Got mine from Redcoon Germany for imo very reasonable price
k701smile.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #1,388 of 2,701

Regarding the headband issue with comfort - the Sennheiser HD650 headband pad ($17) solves the issue.  Order it from Sennheiser USA (on Long Island, NY) 

Hi, I've been looking on the Sennheiser USA website but am not finding it.  Could you please point me in the right direction?  As much as I'm loving the sound of the DJ's, comfort is definitely not one of the strong points for me.  I'd love hearing about any other mods one could do on the DJ's that would make them more comfortable. I think the headband pad will go a long way, but I'd also like a way to increase the ear cup depth a bit since my left ear touches the driver area.  I've tried paper towel/tissue but that just seems crude and not long-term effective.  

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,389 of 2,701
Would a beyer pad that wraps around fit the dj's headband?

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,390 of 2,701
Hi, I've been looking on the Sennheiser USA website but am not finding it.  Could you please point me in the right direction?  As much as I'm loving the sound of the DJ's, comfort is definitely not one of the strong points for me.  I'd love hearing about any other mods one could do on the DJ's that would make them more comfortable. I think the headband pad will go a long way, but I'd also like a way to increase the ear cup depth a bit since my left ear touches the driver area.  I've tried paper towel/tissue but that just seems crude and not long-term effective.  

+1 exactly, if anyone has some ideas post em here!!!

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,391 of 2,701

As much as I love the SIGNATURE Djs, if I had such big comfort issues like you, I would send them back and search for a better solution for me. There is such a variety of fantastic cans out there these days, you should find one that suits you out of the box. No way for me, discomfort only distracts from the musical bliss too much.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,392 of 2,701

They are not shown on the website. You have to call the Sennheiser location and ask for it.

Re the cup issue. That's why I traded mine. I tried a length of 1/4" rope under the pads and it helped a bit but honestly as pietcux said I'd try another headphone. Or try to fit a pair of Alpha pads on them somehow, then they would be amazing phones.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,394 of 2,701
Fiio E12 Meier and Audio Quickstep. I have both running from my last generation Ipod Classic. The Meier has the edge for even better bass control and impact, the Fiio is more convenient because it is rechargeable. The Meier has replaceable 9 volt batteries.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,395 of 2,701
Fiio E12 Meier and Audio Quickstep. I have both running from my last generation Ipod Classic. The Meier has the edge for even better bass control and impact, the Fiio is more convenient because it is rechargeable. The Meier has replaceable 9 volt batteries.

Meier Quickstep seems quite intereresting but it is bit out of my price range
frown.gif
.  Meier 2stepdance though seems pretty similar in design (Main differences are the lack of rf-protection and silver plated jacks instead of gold plated ones) and its on sale atm. Quite tempting.. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back