Ultrasone Signature DJ
Oct 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,126 of 2,701
So heres the deal. I have a 300$ budget, should i get a dac/amp combo (most likely a full size to make up for the lesser cost) or a 300$ portable amp.

Or is it worth it to save till like 500$? (Will take a while)

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #1,127 of 2,701
If the HRT Microstreamer does the same job for Sig DJ than for my Sig pro, you can seriously consider it. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #1,128 of 2,701
So heres the deal. I have a 300$ budget, should i get a dac/amp combo (most likely a full size to make up for the lesser cost) or a 300$ portable amp.

Or is it worth it to save till like 500$? (Will take a while)

It depends on how your Sig DJ fits into your lifestyle.  If you expect a larger percentage of your usage to be portable, then a portable amp makes sense.

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,129 of 2,701

It depends on how your Sig DJ fits into your lifestyle.  If you expect a larger percentage of your usage to be portable, then a portable amp makes sense.

Agree.
For home use you can just go with a Schiit Modi + Magni combo... it should work A-Ok.
For portable I would suggest something like a Leckerton UHA-6SMKII (Dac/amp portable... really good to my ears).

But like Craig said, depends on how you are going to use your Sig DJs...

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,131 of 2,701
That's the spirit!!!

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,132 of 2,701
Ok, so after giving it a lot of listening time, I recommend the HRT microStreamer as portable dac/amp.

At first I found it bass shy, but that was just because my laptop's soundcard had more quantity at the expense of clarity and soundstage. Since i was used to it, I missed the bass quantity.

But the fact is that the gain in clarity, soundstage and instrument separation from the microStreamer is well worth it. Also, bass is definitely there. Listening to Out of Fuel - Sneaky as I type this, and dat bass is tickling my eardrums.

Extension of the highs is also improved, so if anyone is particularly averse to that, it may not be for you. I wouldn't call it sibilant or harsh, though.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,133 of 2,701
Ok, so i think i decided to get a full size amp/dac, and im trying to decide wether i should get the objective o2 with the dac amp combo or the magni modi combo for 300$...

Thoughts? How do these compare when used with the signature dj?

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,135 of 2,701
Meier Audio Quickstep will work perfectly. I have the Stepdance which is the predecessor.

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,136 of 2,701
Maybe... Depends.

I think i want to get a full size amp. Then just use my iphone with it.

If i cant find any full sizes that are highly regarded in the price range this would most likely be my portable amp i would get :)

Open to any other suggestions as well guys!

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,138 of 2,701
Maybe... Depends.

I think i want to get a full size amp. Then just use my iphone with it.

If i cant find any full sizes that are highly regarded in the price range this would most likely be my portable amp i would get :)

Open to any other suggestions as well guys!

Speaking of full sizes.........ever considered a vintage integrated amp?

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,139 of 2,701
Mother of god, that scares my wallet

EDIT: And i just looked up the prices and value those things have. If i could get one in good condition i would be a happy man

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,140 of 2,701
The Kenwood above cost me $80, the entire Pioneer system below cost me $270 and worth considerably more than that. Point is you can get a vintage amp for less than $100 and the BASS will blow you away, especially with the Sig DJ's. Makes the higher cost headphone-specific amps not so interesting. I've sold all mine and have five vintage systems and two portable set ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back