Ultrasone Signature DJ
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #2,401 of 2,701
Hi everyone! I've been living with the Signature DJ and Fostex TH-X00 and I've decided to part ways with the Signature DJ's. :frowning2: It would be a no brainer if I needed isolation and portability, but I don't. Plus, I feel like a change and I've always been a fan of the Fostex house sound. So, I'm going to journey down the TH path for a while. It's been a hard decision to make, and I'll miss my Signature DJ's. Here's the classified if anyone's interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/791074/fs-trade-ultrasone-signature-djs.

In terms of how I hear the Signature DJ compared to the Fostex TH-X00... the DJ is by all means the best isolating and portable headphone I've ever heard. There's really no contest between the two. If those two criteria are near the top of your list, I personally don't know of a headphone that tops the DJ. At the same time, the X00 has better soundstage, seemingly more sub bass, and a musical presentation that's fun and engaging. The DJ seems punchier and more aggressive to my ears which makes them slightly more fatiguing over long listening sessions. The X00 is more comfortable but not as luxurious as the DJ (despite the wood cups)... that Ethiopian sheepskin is something. Also, the DJ has detachable cables where the X00 has a monster 10ft. non-detachable cable... If this synopsis is confusing, that's because it is! Both of these headphones are amazing and a pleasure to own. If I needed or could keep both, I absolutely would. But, I don't need or can keep both. Currently, I'm looking for a closed headphone that's strictly for home use and fun to listen to. The X00 is more of what I'm looking for than the DJ. 

Just as an aside, this will be the first time in at least seven or eight years that my household will be without an Ultrasone of some sort. The Pro 900 and Signature DJ were gateway headphones for me. I look forward to hearing what else Ultrasone cooks up! 

Cheers!

----------

Edit 1: Also, the DJ is far more robust in build than the X00. Plus, the carrying case is top notch. Sheesh, I'm talking myself out of selling it. :\

Edit 2: After another a/b between the headphones, I'd equate my aggressiveness statement to the DJ having a smaller sound stage and thus seeming more in your face. To my ears, there's a smoothness to the X00 that Fostex really nailed.

Anyone else compared the two? 

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #2,402 of 2,701
Yeah, I feel the TH-XXX does have more sub-bass than the Sig DJs. Being semi-closed brings also a wider soundstage and I find the highs a bit more "tamed" than the DJs (or the Denon D5000s I had -- based on memory). But I don't think I need to mention the other differences, you did a good job! :wink:

If you want isolation, non-leaky, portable, bassy headphones, the Sig DJs are still top-notch!

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #2,403 of 2,701
  If you want isolation, non-leaky, portable, bassy headphones, the Sig DJs are still top-notch!

I absolutely agree!

I should also say that I don't wear full size headphones at work or out and about due to wearing glasses (seriously, one of the few justifiable accessories). If I wore contacts more (like I do at home while listening to some jams), there's no way I'd be selling the Signature DJ's.

----------------------

Edit: Maybe I should mentally reframe headphones as being a justifiable accessory. :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2,406 of 2,701
Hey anyone kind enough to post a link to get a replacement cable? (The one with the mic in it.). Both of the stock cables are just about broken by now (the black one had the 3.5mm converter tip come off, got stuck in my o2 amp too, and the one with the mic is starting to crackle when it gets bumped or moved -.-)

I haven't been the kindest owner to my djs. Lol. Ive owned them for about 2 and a half years now though, guess this is expected.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #2,412 of 2,701
Aren't the EarPads suppose to last for years, I worry more about the EarPads on my th600s more than my djs..

Technically yes they will last for years especially when you compare them to the egg shell protein leather used for the TH-600 pads.

The real issue I found with the sheepskin leather on the Sig-Pro was that after some time (2+ years or more) they take on an oily sheen.  They look and feel as if they need a refresh after a few years of steady wear.

Not to mention that they lose some loft / structure (firmness)

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2,413 of 2,701
Hey anyone kind enough to post a link to get a replacement cable? (The one with the mic in it.). Both of the stock cables are just about broken by now (the black one had the 3.5mm converter tip come off, got stuck in my o2 amp too, and the one with the mic is starting to crackle when it gets bumped or moved -.-)

I haven't been the kindest owner to my djs. Lol. Ive owned them for about 2 and a half years now though, guess this is expected.

Maybe you can try this one instead...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IMEOIWC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1450664372&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX220_SY330_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sennheiser+598+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZaUaZV05L&ref=plSrch

I heard 598 cables fit the Signature series... Doesn't have to be this one, but just an idea and possibly cheaper alternative...

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,414 of 2,701
Oh wow, and i was about to get a replacement cable for 100$. Glad i asked on here.

(http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/ultrasone-signature-djpro-replacement-35mm-cable-12m)

Will probably go with the cheaper cable.

For once, head fi actually helped my wallet.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,415 of 2,701
Oh wow, and i was about to get a replacement cable for 100$. Glad i asked on here.

(http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/ultrasone-signature-djpro-replacement-35mm-cable-12m)

Will probably go with the cheaper cable.

For once, head fi actually helped my wallet.

Keep in mind that the Senn 598 cable is not a perfect fit for the Sig DJ.

It will work and it will fit, just not perfectly.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back