Ultrasone PRO900
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #796 of 924
blueyan, from what I read, not "better", but I haven't heard people say that the pro series have "significantly" better bass, and you seem to be looking for "significantly" better bass. Just telling you maybe you shouldn't get your hopes up. Try to listen to pro 900's before buying if you can, or get more head-fiers' opinions. I haven't heard the M50 myself, but have read people praising its bass often around here.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #797 of 924
I haven't heard a M50.

But I have heard some headphones where the bass was praised as something great.
Ultrasone is the only headphone where the bass has actually truly impressed me.
PRO 2500.I'm not even a basshead but I love the Pro 2500 it has good unbright treble and good mids too.

I haven't heard the PRO 900 but it seems most Ultrasone's carry impressive bass.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #798 of 924
the pro 900 is overall a better headphone than m50.. especially in the bass department,, where the pro 900 bass is more solid,, deeper,, and faster.. maybe one of the fastest bass from dynamic headphone.. but surely there are other things than bass that you'll like from a headphone.. so you better auditioned first before buying it..

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #799 of 924
kick drums are indeed astounding.

unless you have hearing loss/damage, heavily tone down that otherwise excellent treble, and the rest just falls into place in the most stunning fashion.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #800 of 924
I had the M50s before I traded them, and the bass was nothing special at all. There is a thread going on here about weird burn in on 2010 M50s that makes them sound bad, maybe that is what happened to me. Coincidentally, I am buying the Pro 900s as soon as I can afford them. If I can't find them on Head-Fi I will get them on Ebay for a low price.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #801 of 924

Quote:
kick drums are indeed astounding.

unless you have hearing loss/damage, heavily tone down that otherwise excellent treble, and the rest just falls into place in the most stunning fashion.

Bass Drum sounds amazing on the Ultrasone Pro 2500 as well.
I never heard some of these bass details before until I got a pair of Ultrasone
L3000.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #802 of 924
Man, I really want a pair of these Pro 900.  All I listen to is Trance and Drum & Bass and the K701 aren't doing it for me.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #803 of 924
Hi everybody,

After months (years?) of lurking around, I finally decided to post my first message on head-fi. It took me a great deal of time to research on what would be the best pair of cans for me and I finally settled for the Ultrasone Pro900. I'm still a beginner so I don't have a lot of equipment (Yamaha RX A/V receiver, computer + lossless files, iBasso D12 Anaconda on its way right now) but I do enjoy their sound unamped.

At first I was afraid I might have received a pair of fake Ultrasones (bought them from an eBay reseller and they came without the extra silver velvet pads and the little adapter). After 300+ hours of burning in, their amazing sound relieved all my doubts about them being possibly fake. I wish the bass wasn't so overwhelming (on some recordings only) and hoped for less fatiguing cans but they do their job in a very satisfying manner.

I wanted to know something about the famous Kees Mod. Do they really get that good after the modding? To be honest, I've looked around and saw the thread explaining the modding with the pictures but no matter how many times I read the explanation I just can't understand how do you get it done. When I look at other threads, they say completely different things (about the central hole, etc.) so all of that got me real confused. I even tried looking for a video on youtube on how to do the mod... If someone could explain me the mod on a step-by-step manner I'd be really grateful. Please be patient with me, I'm really new at things and still learning a lot every time I come around here.
smile_phones.gif

I also know that even these are low impedance, they seem to benefit a lot from an amp. I'll make sure to post my impressions when I hook them up with the iBasso D12.
redface.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #805 of 924
@LoveAndHonour: I have no idea what you aren't understanding with the mod just look at the pictures and go from there: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/396267/how-bright-is-an-ultrasone-pro-900/60#post_5248583 

Quote:
How's the mids, specifically the guitars on the PRO 900s? I love rock/indie/metal/ambient, but love a good bit of bass punch from the kick drum, though it's pretty useless IMO if the guitars don't sound rockin'.

All I listen to is metal and the guitars do sound good. I owned the RS1i's which supposedly do guitars really well and didn't notice a significant difference going from the RS1i's to the Pro900's. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #806 of 924
LoveAndHonor, why didn't it come with the extra pads and adapter? If the ebay listing said it was there, you have to complain and get a refund, some money back, or the missing parts shipped to you.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #807 of 924
I think I remember reading somewhere that ultrasone has stopped including that stuff. 

Quote:
LoveAndHonor, why didn't it come with the extra pads and adapter? If the ebay listing said it was there, you have to complain and get a refund, some money back, or the missing parts shipped to you.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #809 of 924
Is it possible to do just the simple part of the Kees mod?  I'm kind of different in that I don't mind the punchy bass and the trebles that the non-Kees modded Pro900 offers, but I would like to try just the felt on the middle hole part because that does not require you to take off the metal plate.

What effect would just covering the middle hole with the felt have to the sound?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #810 of 924
Less sharp treble, less diffuse soundstage and more sound aimed into the ear instead of outer ear. You can do whatever modding you like to your taste, but I suggest waiting for 300 hours of burn-in before doing serious fine tweaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back