Ultrasone Pro 900 vs. Denon AH-D5000
Feb 20, 2009 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

cswann1

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm contemplating a closed can purchase. These two are the ones I'm most interested in.

I'll probably end up modding either one since there are well documented mods here.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has owned or spent time with both.

Let's get it on!!

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 39
PRO 900 and fully markl modded D5000... It´s a non brainer really since it cost virtually nothing to mod the 900 and a LOT to markl mod the D5000... And it´s still inferior in pretty much every way unless you like it´s weird presentation of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 39
I don't think how many out there have heard them both. I must say I voted for normal D5000 vs modded 900 (because the mod is basicly free for the 900).

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll probably end up modding either one since there are well documented mods here.

I only own the Pro 900, so I didn't vote on the poll or anything. Just wanted to say that I modded mine and didn't like the mod after a while, they just seem so much more fun to listen to unmodded.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 39
Would also be good if the people who vote (in this case the D5000 voters) elaborate their opinions here, makes it alot more usefull. This forum is unfortunetly full of people with opinions about headphones they haven't heard, this is your chance to prove your not one of them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 39
Can I double vote for PRO 900
biggrin.gif

I am trying this unamped now and it does actually move it closer to the club sound I got from my markl modded D5000... Which didn´t work for me but I am wonder if this is what some denon users hear in their system. If so I have a greater understanding on the Denon phenomena. I suspect it may be closer to the stock D5000 since the bass isn´t as tight and controlled
wink.gif
. Unamped there isn´t really that much balance to talk about you never know what is going to happen lol

For faster music it´s to slow so I don´t say you can save money and get rid of an amp... And it does share the excessive reverb of the D5000 I had though not quite as extreme. I guess this will depend on what mood I am in I still think I will mostly run them amped but if you just want something fun it´s fantastic.

So there is three versions: amped PRO 900 Stock very fast decay fantastic for piano, drums, guitarr solos etc and lots of bass. Can play pretty much everything without doing it to bad. Then you have Kee modded PRO 900 with more controlled bass and smoother overall more neutral which makes it even more universal.

Then I have the unamped PRO 900 which have crazy fun bass, warm lush sound and fantastic dynamics where you can´t be sure what it will do next... I wonder if it´s this they call exciters.

All other headphones I have tried doesn´t sound better in any way unamped so this was totally unexpected
smily_headphones1.gif
... though better in this case is more fun not more accurate.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I double vote for PRO 900
biggrin.gif

All other headphones I have tried doesn´t sound better in any way unamped so this was totally unexpected
smily_headphones1.gif
... though better in this case is more fun not more accurate.

Thanks, and just to clarify, what I'm seeking with this purchase is a lively and dynamic phone with a more pronounced bass response than what I currently listen to. Accuracy is not a priority for me. But I don't want to give up too much in the mids and highs for the sake of more bass.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 39
then you don´t want to kee mod the PRO 900 at least. Makes them even more laid back. Stock PRO 900 will definiatly have the bass you are looking for. markl modded D5000 will probably do not but from what I have heard the stock D5000 does have more bass. Maybe D2000 is what you should aim for it´s supposed to be more of a fun headphone?

As for lively hard to say. Wish I still had the D5000 so I could do more accurate comparisons. But I would say it´s more lively then Kee modded PRO 900 for sure in music that doesn´t require breakneck speed... There is more weird stuff happening in the treble than on the 900s but about equal with the 900 unamped from my elite PRO. Fuller sound I would say which is what the longer decays and slower bass gives you. Now I do suspect I will use my amp 90 % of the time though anyway.

But this is just synergy I suppose I am sure it will sound just garbage on many unamped sources but well if you have a DAC with headphone output that may do it. The Elite PRO is quite strong regarding bass (though weaker than the Essence STX it´s mentioned) But I wouldn´t ask for more bass it would get to much kees modded or not.

PRO 900 is a safe bet from me but there is always those people that don´t like Ultrasones... Really really weird people
wink.gif

Denons is quite safe too with all the hype going on. Shouldn´t be to hard to sell them if you don´t like them. Get both and keep the one you like the most if nothing else to kill the curiosity
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denons is quite safe too with all the hype going on. Shouldn´t be to hard to sell them if you don´t like them. Get both and keep the one you like the most if nothing else to kill the curiosity
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't think for a second that I haven't considered doing just that!LOL

That would take an initial output of close to a grand. And in a weeks time I'll be placing an order for an Audio-gd Compass. So I'm being pretty careful of purchases right now. The tubes on my MKIVse aren't even fully burned in yet so I think a little restraint might be in order, at least for the time being.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 39
I just finished burning in a pair of Ulta Pro900's and I already own the Denon 5k's and I'll tell you, It's really hard to decide. IMHO the ultrasones have better, more forward mids, and the bass is slightly more controlled but Man! it's hard to choose.
The Utra Mods are very easy and virtualy free. the Denon mods can run a couple of bucks for some padding to make the earpads bigger up to hundreds of dollars for cables, and installing material into the cups to tighten the bass.
The price is pretty close so I would say if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Utrasones, Easy free mods and screw in cable upgrades is you wish.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 39
And you can undo the mod. If you markl mod the denons and don´t like the results it´s hard for me at least to undo them
smily_headphones1.gif

I would much rather from what I hear get a cheaper D7000 and run it stock then running a markl modded D5000. But have no idea if that will give you that lively sound of course
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 39
It seems they are much more alike then different.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 39
The tone and balance and presentation is totally different on a straight comparison on the Heed. Much bigger then on the 750 compared to 900 kee modded or not but everything is relative I guess. I sure have heard headphones that differs a lot more too.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 39
Ok so why is NOBODY who voted the D5000 elaboting their choices here? I mean if you have heard them both, then please share your opinion here!

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished burning in a pair of Ulta Pro900's and I already own the Denon 5k's and I'll tell you, It's really hard to decide. IMHO the ultrasones have better, more forward mids, and the bass is slightly more controlled but Man! it's hard to choose.
The Utra Mods are very easy and virtualy free. the Denon mods can run a couple of bucks for some padding to make the earpads bigger up to hundreds of dollars for cables, and installing material into the cups to tighten the bass.
[size=small]The price is pretty close so I would say if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Utrasones, Easy free mods and screw in cable upgrades is you wish[/size].

Here's my vote. If the 7k's blow the 900's away I'll let you know. But once you start getting into this range of cans. they're gonna get closer and closer other than overall sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back