Ultrasone Pro 900 or Sennheiser HD 650
Jul 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

GeorgeGoodman

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Forum,

I am going to upgrade phones and need advice. I used to have some big speakers, so I know what good bass is. The thing is, both of the phones in the title have a reputation for being amazing cans, the Pro 900 with Kees' mod and the HD 650 with a decent amp. I know the differences in closed and open phones, and the 900s I could run directly out of my S:Flo2 probably better than the 650s. I am probably getting a cheap SACD player like the Sony SCD-CE595 player, and an amp to go with it. I would also like an ALO RX, but compared to something like the matrix m-stage I would be sacrificing quality for portability, right? Any suggestions would be useful.

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 28
Interesting choice... the Pro 900 and HD 650 have an interesting relationship. They are like brothers but brothers that are eachothers opposite while still reminding of eachother. Make me think of east of Eden :wink:.

The HD 650 is about as forgiving as it get whereas the Pro 900 work hard extracting all there is in the recording. Both have quite some bass boost in stock configuration. Personally I wasnt impressed with the HD 650 at all. Except for it´s forgiveness. You will work hard for a headphone having less issues with sibilance or softer treble no matter what crap recordings you throw at it.

The Pro 900 is more aggressive and is more demanding regarding recording/source then the HD 650. It´s also quite demanding regarding amplification like the HD 650. I would say both need a better amp so that is no different!

Why not get both and sell the one you like the least? Maybe you find them complement eachother. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 28
like i said in another thread

2 different animals
smily_headphones1.gif
you just can't ring up 2 headphones out of the clear blue sky and have them compete with each other. both the ones you listed possess different traits, it depends on what sound signature you're looking for/want.

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 28
interesting...as these were my 2 choices before I said to hell with it and bought a pair of sennheisers IE8s. I'm a big fan of urban music, electronica, trip.hop, neo.classical,reggae... stuff like that. After a bit of research, I'm hoping the ie8s will be somewhere in between these1

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 28
I think the HD-650 is the better headphone, however, you have to invest in an amp to get the best out of them. I know there are a number of very expensive new headphones out there, but the HD-650 is still excellent. If you plan to keep upgrading, the HD-650 will scale along with the upgrades.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
I think the HD-650 is the better headphone, however, you have to invest in an amp to get the best out of them. I know there are a number of very expensive new headphones out there, but the HD-650 is still excellent. If you plan to keep upgrading, the HD-650 will scale along with the upgrades.

I feel with you, 650's are good headphones....a music lover dream. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 28
Personally I think the Pro900 are kind of like the Mr. Hyde to the HD650's Dr. Jeckyll. They are kind of the bad-ass version, with better "speed" (they were very good with the fast metal I tried on them) and more bass but they are more coloured (less so with Kees mod, but I still found them more coloured) than the HD650, meanwhile I find the 650 just slightly darker than neutral. So depending in what presentation you like more, and maybe the music genres you hear more, you might prefer one or the other.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:

Yep, pretty much my belief, as well. Right on the money. I prefer the 650 for acoustic jazz over everything else I've owned and heard up to this point. I have it matched with the RSA Raptor and the result is quite good.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 28
From my experience the Pro900 scales with amps, or better to say it sucks without a powerful source (they had good soundstage and instrument separation from a Meier Symphony, poor from a Denon CD player HP out). Unlike, say, the Denon D5K, where it wasn't that big of a deal. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 28
The Pro 900s are beasts period. Refined beasts, that do electronic and beat based music second to none, and I consider are capable all rounders that have a great balance of detail, soundstage, impact, and are just plain non fatiguing fun.   They do beneift considerably from an amp with bit of juice.  I sold mine when I purchased the Edition 8, however they are different headphones than the ED8 and I missed them. So I purchased another pair today, brand new for a steal of a deal- $330 USD.  Ebay Powerseller with 100% feedback.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 28
Hey wind! Did you finally get to try out the Pro900s? Those are really bass beasts. And they really do electronica well.

But as mentioned I agree here, the HD650s are better in general for me. The HD650s sound better for everything else IMO, especially jazz and classical. The Pro 900s can't do those genres at all. Whereas the HD650s can do just about any kind of music with aplomb. 

Anyway these two cans are, like mentioned, a Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde kind of thing. They just aren't anything like each other at all. My suggestion is to figure out what you're looking for first. General guideline is that the HD650s are more relaxed and extremely forgiving and euphonic. The Pro900s are very precise and demanding, aggressive and dynamic, with lots of energy. I would also say they sound quite metallic.  

Given my tastes, I prefer the HD650. you'll have to figure out what your taste is like to decide between the two... or you might even want both! I certainly keep opposites for the variety.
Quote:
The HD650 are the better headphones when it comes to refinement but the PRO 900 are beasts when it comes to electronic music and heavy rock. For everything else, HD650 wins hands down.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #14 of 28
Interesting because I'm looking to ditch my HD650's for a pair of .... either Pro 900's or (believe it or not) a pair of Beyer T50p headphones. Having sold my Pro 750's i have to say that i'm missing my higher end Ultrasone's. I've still got my Ultrasone Dj headphones, but occasionally I want something a bit more ... refined and mature as i thought the Pro series are.

I don't know why, but I just haven't spent much time with the HD's. I want something I can use regularly and i'm afraid that i used my 750 far more than i ever used my H650's, although on reflection the HD's are slightly better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back