Ultrasone Pro 900 (J$ Pads + Blue Dragon V3) Review
Apr 25, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #46 of 78
V1 pads are thicker and they are much more stiffer, which means they have better isolation and sounstage is bigger. V3`s are very comfy though, much more comfier than V1`s.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #47 of 78
Alright, well I never had a too big problem with the comfort of the pro 900s. Have you tried the v2? and if so, how do they fit in?

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #48 of 78
I am not even sure that mines are V1, I just presumed. they might actually be v2. but difference between v3 and my pads are astronomical. Different material, different thickness, different size of a hole in the middle :xf_eek:

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #50 of 78
I think James has old pads in stock as well. Just send him an email

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #51 of 78
@Nachkebia: You wanna chime in with your thoughts on the Beyer pads? For what model? Do they make any difference? I'm interested in doing this as well. Thanks!

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #52 of 78
I'm very curious about the leather beyer pads aswell.

I have a feeling that they would sound much more like the stock pads, but with the highs being slightly more extended due to the added isolation that the leather gives. I would imagine that they hardly affect the soundstage, so if you prefer the engaging in your face soundstage of the stock pads I'm sure the beyer pads would be a better fit. Of course this is just my own speculation  
blink.gif

I would really love to see a comparison in terms of how the beyer and denon pads affect the sound of the pro 900.

Of course I'm sure they are also much more comfortable than the stock pads 
wink_face.gif

May 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #53 of 78
Anyone try the J$ Beyer pads on the Pro 900s yet?  

May 18, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #54 of 78
Bumping this because of the new edit, more people should see it :)

May 18, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #55 of 78

Quote:
Bumping this because of the new edit, more people should see it :)

bump x 2

About using the J$...I  think I might have a reason why treble is boosted. From the pics of the J$ it has asymmetrical padding -- being longer/wider in the padding behind the ear, and narrower in the padding in front of the ear. So I believe this would place the ear relatively forward in the ear cup, closer to the S-Logic placed driver. If you ever owned Ultrasones you would would know that the farther forward your ear is, the more harsh, treble-y, forward the music becomes. 

colmustard, would you be able to comment on where your ear position when using the J$ with your 900s?

^ This would greatly affect me decision to do the J$ mod. I would not want my ears to be more forward in the headphone than the center-most position. The sound starts to become fatiguing to me otherwise. I prefer slightly behind the center.

May 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #56 of 78

Quote:
bump x 2

About using the J$...I  think I might have a reason why treble is boosted. From the pics of the J$ it has asymmetrical padding -- being longer/wider in the padding behind the ear, and narrower in the padding in front of the ear. So I believe this would place the ear relatively forward in the ear cup, closer to the S-Logic placed driver. If you ever owned Ultrasones you would would know that the farther forward your ear is, the more harsh, treble-y, forward the music becomes. 

colmustard, would you be able to comment on where your ear position when using the J$ with your 900s?

^ This would greatly affect me decision to do the J$ mod. I would not want my ears to be more forward in the headphone than the center-most position. The sound starts to become fatiguing to me otherwise. I prefer slightly behind the center.

That's actually a very important point. When you position (and glue) the J$ pads you have to ensure that they swivel in so that the larger open part of the pad is placed over the driver so that it isn't covered. I agree that even with this positioning part of the driver is slightly covered perhaps causing a peak in the treble, but I think the main reason for this is that the leather material simply doesn't leak sound like the stock pads do which means none of the treble is escaping.

Also I didn't think that the peak in treble was unbearable with the J$ pads alone, I actually thought it was quite nice and detailed. But pairing the J$ pads with the clarity and treble peak that the blue dragon brings is not a good combination, and my ears will be ringing for another few days because of it. If I had to choose between the comfort and soundstage of the J$ pads or the quality and bass enhanced sound of the blue dragon, I would choose the blue dragon. Remember the only reason I scored the blue dragon mod lower than the J$ mod is because of the price to performance ratio that the J$ certainly wins out in. But price aside, the blue dragon is the worthier upgrade.

I can really only use one at a time, which is a huge let down for me...

May 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #57 of 78
Great thoughts on the Blue Dragon Cable. Surprised to hear it gives such a boost in treble, I assumed that the Silver Dragon was the only Moon Audio cable that would give the boost in treble.
I might have to get me one of these cables finally for my Pro 900.

May 19, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #58 of 78

Quote:
Great thoughts on the Blue Dragon Cable. Surprised to hear it gives such a boost in treble, I assumed that the Silver Dragon was the only Moon Audio cable that would give the boost in treble.
I might have to get me one of these cables finally for my Pro 900.

Yeah, other people have said that the only really noticeable difference has been the bass as opposed to treble/mids. So it's pretty interesting how colmustard has found it D:

May 19, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #59 of 78
i thuink ive said this before in the other thread that the blue dragon give more boost to lower bass and lower treble area,, which i dont think the pro 900 need those.. the black dragon and silver dragon will be a better match for pro900 because they sound cleaner and more neutral.. 

May 19, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #60 of 78
Quote:
The jack that connects to the pro 900 fits snugly and firmly, despite not screwing into place. I actually really prefer this, and even with some tug and pull it doesn't come out easily. This takes away the pain of constantly screwing and unscrewing the cable, while retaining a reliable and firm connection.

I'm somewhat confused by this statement. Are you saying that the Moon Audio cable doesn't screw into the Ultrasone earcup as the the stock cables do? What kind of connector does it use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back