Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #2,416 of 5,992
I am also interested for v.2 of the Zo.
My only concern is if it makes the sound artificial or something..

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #2,417 of 5,992
I can attest that it does not alter the sound in any way that will seem artificial. It's like the way things usually sound is akin to a dinky cube steak and with the zo attached it turns it into a a big beefy prime rib. It's not bloated or flabby:the sound coming out is huge--tons of presence and texture to the sound while still improving clarity. With regards to the soundstage, it improves instrument separation and depth. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #2,418 of 5,992
Nice joeq..
It seems to be  like something i haven't heard of before.
I think i should give it a try to see for myself..

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #2,419 of 5,992

I brought my pro 900s, zo, and iphone 4 into work and played this song for people which was met with big smiles and soiled pants 
basshead.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2,420 of 5,992
I haven't heard my ZO with the PRO900 ( the ZO is still in the field), but I can attest to the fact that not only does it greatly enhance the bass on the PRO650 (and every other can I got to try it with), but also manages to clean it up at the same time. With no eq on, it is a very clean and clear amp, "transparent" I believe is the word you headphile types use for it. :wink:

I'm a huge fan of it. You can read up on it at digiZoid's site. They don't say exactly how they do it, but there's some serious algorithmic logic going on at the hardware level that makes their eq...the ****, for lack of a better term.

Joe, I'm glad you got the combo and that you're as pleased with it as I thought you'd be.  :D  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, though.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2,423 of 5,992
Aug 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2,424 of 5,992
There is nothing wrong with liking them!

It's just when something gets so many glowing reviews you have to be a bit cautious. I bought the M50 back when I was only starting out on Head-Fi with a full wallet and was pretty disappointed in the M50 as it didn't perform to my expectations having read all those awesome reviews.

I can see the same thing happening with people reading this thread and buying the Pro900 only to be disappointed it doesn't work well with genres that don't rely on emphasised bass.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2,425 of 5,992
I agree with this, and its why I try and mention every time I post that I wouldn't have gotten the Pro 900 unless I didn't primarily listen to EDM.  It does well with metal and is alright for pop and acoustic, but for EDM it is amazing.  If you only dabble in EDM but usually listen to alternative or something else, these aren't the headphones for you.  

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with liking them!

It's just when something gets so many glowing reviews you have to be a bit cautious. I bought the M50 back when I was only starting out on Head-Fi with a full wallet and was pretty disappointed in the M50 as it didn't perform to my expectations having read all those awesome reviews.

I can see the same thing happening with people reading this thread and buying the Pro900 only to be disappointed it doesn't work well with genres that don't rely on emphasised bass.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #2,426 of 5,992
have read on hear that the pro900 sounds harsh, unamped, from ipod.
i will agree with that!!!!!
does this improve with burn-in or is an amp the only way forward?

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2,428 of 5,992
I'm gonna try the ZO when the next version comes out. Heck, $100-150 isn't much to ask for what may bring a significant improvement to probably every headphone assuming it's as great as they say. I'm kind of confused though...it essentially acts as a sort of 'power amp' if you will, right? Since there's no volume control (on v.1)? I'd almost want version 2 to not have a volume control since I would be double amping everything I put into it for the most part. Neither of the review threads here seem to mention it.

I will say this-most reports seem to sound like it gives more improvements than even the Blue Dragon cable for the Pro 900s-at about half the cost or less. Sounds like a no-brainer to me-and would surely resale here pretty fast without much of a loss, IMO.

-Daniel

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,429 of 5,992
The highs will tame slightly over time, however, an amp helps immensely with the Pro 900s bright sound signature.

Quote:

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2,430 of 5,992

Quote:

OK, im about 75-90 hours in burn in.. and let me tell you initially that pro 900 sounded straight awful. Harsh, piercing, sibilance, etc.. etc.. but the burn in makes a difference 100%.. give it some time like everyone here suggested to me when i first got em'. They absolutely great now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back