Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #2,403 of 5,992

Quote:
Heya,

Went high-end. Shoulda listened to everyone day one, and skipped all the headphones and directly went to what I knew I'd eventually end up with.

I love the PRO 900's, but they don't do acoustic/vocals the kind of justice I need for a portable (largely due to it's metallic sound and recessed mids, which is what vocals are). They're absolutely boss for electronica and basically everything else, but I listen more to acoustic, vocals and folk. So they're going to a new home.

Very best,

Wow, that's a big shake-up Malveaux. Thought the Shure 940's were not going anywhere after your detailed and well praised review. They're gone along with the Pro 900's now?

Hope to see your review with the new HE-500

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #2,404 of 5,992

Quote:
Wow, that's a big shake-up Malveaux. Thought the Shure 940's were not going anywhere after your detailed and well praised review. They're gone along with the Pro 900's now?

No kidding!!  I never thought Mal would leave the PRO900 behind, much less the 940!  I was honestly considering the HE-500 before.  i just can't see myself making that kind of investment, though...it's almost the price of the LCD-2.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2,405 of 5,992

Quote:
No kidding!!  I never thought Mal would leave the PRO900 behind, much less the 940!  I was honestly considering the HE-500 before.  i just can't see myself making that kind of investment, though...it's almost the price of the LCD-2.

Know what you mean, I'm on the cusp myself of making the big leap from 'middle tier' to tasting the goodness of a high tier
flagship. There is a local meet next month that will hopefully give me guidance as to what potential headphone is actually
worth the money.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2,406 of 5,992
Damnit, I'm going nuts trying to make a decision. The 990s seem to have a wider, clearer soundstage, while the 900s have the nice deep bass that I love. But the 900s are also painfully bright. Much more so than the 990s. I'm not sure which sound "better" overall. Do I want bass bad enough to take the good with the bad? 

This is a tough one. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #2,407 of 5,992

Quote:
Damnit, I'm going nuts trying to make a decision. The 990s seem to have a wider, clearer soundstage, while the 900s have the nice deep bass that I love. But the 900s are also painfully bright. Much more so than the 990s. I'm not sure which sound "better" overall. Do I want bass bad enough to take the good with the bad? 

This is a tough one. 

Quick question for you, have you tried the Ultrasone demo CD that came with the 900's?

I find some of the tracks between #6 and #15 a bit bright on my 325i's. Just as a comparison, I'd like to know if it's the
same for you with the 900's.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #2,408 of 5,992
No, I haven't opened it - just in case I decide to send the 900s back. I'm keeping them as flawless as possible. 

I get why people have multiple sets of headphones. Some songs sound better with the 900s, others with the 990s. 

Well, it sounds silly complaining about having to choose. They're both excellent headphones. But it's difficult! 

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2,409 of 5,992
I'd like to add a quick bit here....The Pro 900s are really good--I just got a pair today. The Pro 900s with the Digizoid Zo...AMAZING. Full, robust sound. Not too bright, not too boomy. Completely clear with a ton of body.

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #2,411 of 5,992

Quote:

Quote:

Heya,

That was the plan along for me though. I knew I'd eventually go to something higher-end, but wanted to taste all the juicy mid-tier stuff on the way. So I bought them all. And literally just sold them all. After giving them all a good thorough listen through. My thing is, people ask, is it worth going high-end when mid-tiers are quite good too. Some mid-tier headphones are simply in a league beyond most mid-tiers. The K701 and SRH940 for example easily surpass most mid-tiers in my opinion. Nothing in the same price range seems to do what the PRO900 does. But ultimately high fidelity doesn't really allow for massive coloration, so the PRO900 being as colored to bass as it is, isn't actually a high-fidelity headphone to me (again, just my opinion). Loved both the PRO900 and the SRH940. Hands down the SRH940 is the better headphone for my purposes, with the PRO900 being it's compliment for it's purposes. If I had to pick two headphones to cover everything, the SHR940 and PRO900 are the two headphones I'd select. If I had to pick one headphone, well, that's where it just gets too hairy.

But doesn't mean I won't be buying them again some time soon. I like to test and move it on. But I have so many more to test. Like, I want to have the PRO900's and Denon D2000's side by side for example. I'll eventually test some more. For now though, moving headphones out to get more in.

Very best,

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #2,412 of 5,992

Quote:
What setting do you have the ZO on? Zero? How does it sound when it's set to zero?

-Daniel

I almost always have it set to one click, but some songs are best at zero and others sound great at 2 clicks (heavier metal/screamo comes to mind). To describe the sound, well you know how people often state Pro 900 as having a distinct V shaped curve? Well, the Zo does a couple things. It extends what you hear in both directions--highs are clearer, lows are lower and more robust and it takes the mids the 900 tends to lack and makes them way more present and it does all of this while making the already nice soundstage more impressive and intimate . This setup is far and away the best sound I've ever heard out of a pair of headphones. Mind you I haven't heard any of the $1000 plus phones but still...so good.

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #2,413 of 5,992

Quote:
I almost always have it set to one click, but some songs are best at zero and others sound great at 2 clicks (heavier metal/screamo comes to mind). To describe the sound, well you know how people often state Pro 900 as having a distinct V shaped curve? Well, the Zo does a couple things. It extends what you hear in both directions--highs are clearer, lows are lower and more robust and it takes the mids the 900 tends to lack and makes them way more present and it does all of this while making the already nice soundstage more impressive and intimate . This setup is far and away the best sound I've ever heard out of a pair of headphones. Mind you I haven't heard any of the $1000 plus phones but still...so good.

Heya,

The Zo is super interesting.

What do you mean by more intimate though when you're talking about sound stage? I'm confused there.

I'm waiting for the v2 of the Zo to hit the market. Gonna buy one.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back