Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #2,386 of 5,992
Ooh, the gauntlet has been thrown down!  How will Mr. Freeze respond?  Will this endless debate finally be concluded here in the PRO900 appreciation thread?  Find out this and more on the next episode of Burn-in Mania! Real or Imagined?
popcorn.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2,387 of 5,992
I once listened to d2000 for 2 hours then picked up my ad700s afterwards. At first the ad700s had no bass, but after 1 hour of burn-in time their bass became stronger. So you are wrong mr. Freeze, burn-in most certainly exists!

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2,389 of 5,992
To be fair, I've only owned two headphones that changed with burn in. The K702 and Pro 900. I'll admit the Pro 900s didn't change that much, and still sounded great out of the box. But the bass definitely toned down, and the treble calmed a little, but never completely unfortunately. I think the Pro 900 burn in is a bit overblown around here, but they definitely do change to a certain degree. The AKG's were truly a night and day change though.

That being said, I never noticed any changes with my DT 880s, AD2000s, and most others. The D2000s changed a tiny bit with their bass boominess, but the biggest change came from the J$ s I put on them.  So I believe in both sides of the burn in debate lol-it depends on the headphone!

-Daniel

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2,390 of 5,992
Here is more fuel for the fire concerning the debate over burn-in. One of my favorite sound guys, Dave Rat, gives his views:

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2,391 of 5,992

It sounds like your ears adjusted to ad700s.

I listened to my 900's at home with an amp and when I took it to work and listened without an amp, they sounded pretty bad. It has now been 4 days and you know what, they sound pretty good now. I'm pretty sure my ears got used to the sound. I'm not saying burn in works/doesn't work, just sharing my experience.
Quote:
I once listened to d2000 for 2 hours then picked up my ad700s afterwards. At first the ad700s had no bass, but after 1 hour of burn-in time their bass became stronger. So you are wrong mr. Freeze, burn-in most certainly exists!

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #2,393 of 5,992
Just my little imput on the burn in subject. I would only listen to my 900s for literaly a minute or two when I just got them (just to check on the sound) mainly because the highs were so sharp it hurt my ears. Plus the headband put a bit too much pressure on my head. Now after burning them in for about 150 hours (in just 2 weeks) it is listenable. granted the headband still puts a little pressure, I can listen to them for about 2 hours before I find them uncomfortable. Now my girlfriend has only listened to them 3 times through out those two weeks, once when I first got them, second when she was paying around with them and just yesterday. Her first reaction was "Meh, thought it would be better" which made me feel like I got shot in the heart :frowning2: Second time (about 80 hours in) I caught her dancing and bobbing her head and she said "I like them, but I still wouldn't spend 300+ on any pair". Now the third time she was like "wow her voice is so clear, its like I could feel the emotion through her voice.... nice..." and begins dancing (weird child). Now this whole time my left driver was cracked (just found out... damn) and they still sounded great. When I get them back from Ultrasone, I hope everything is A-OK. I pray unscrewing the driver won't void my waranty, don't want to have to pay for another driver. Knowing Ultrasone it will cost as much as the headphone.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2,395 of 5,992
Hey guys, I've been lurking around this thread and you guys finally convinced me to pull the plug and buy one of these and I must say they are a great set of phones. Been using them for the past day or so and have been relatively happy. I've just been running them through a PA2V2 amp and it already sounds loads better than direct through my itouch. Anyone recommend a better matched, if there is, portable amp to run through my itouch?

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2,396 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been lurking around this thread and you guys finally convinced me to pull the plug and buy one of these and I must say they are a great set of phones. Been using them for the past day or so and have been relatively happy. I've just been running them through a PA2V2 amp and it already sounds loads better than direct through my itouch. Anyone recommend a better matched, if there is, portable amp to run through my itouch?

Not sure if this is out of your price range but The SR-71b is a great choice. I am an absolute fan the RSA House Sound, its dark yet vivid. It really tamed the bass on the Pro 900, but at the same time you don't lose that wow-ness factor. It also brings out the mids and highs even better, because it extends the bass so smooth, that it doesn't seem bloated and doesn't interfere with the other frequencies.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2,398 of 5,992

Quote:
Those of you who said these headphones are extremely finicky weren't kidding. Head and ear placement completely changes the sound profile. I really wonder how much the JMoney pads modify these beasts. 

Heya,

That's due to S-Logic. The Drivers are not centered. So if you move the headphone so that it's further back, the driver is then playing away from your ear and not capturing on your helix, antihelical fold and antihelix. So it sounds like it literally goes away, and does. So long as the driver is forward and playing towards your ear, you'll get amazing throbbing bass (amongst other lovely sound).

Very best,

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #2,399 of 5,992
Ha, or do one better and switch ears. Then it's all bass. Incredible deep shaking bass. But you completely lose mids and treble. 

Side note - why are you selling off all your goods? Upgrading to something we can only dream of getting? 

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,400 of 5,992

Quote:
Ha, or do one better and switch ears. Then it's all bass. Incredible deep shaking bass. But you completely lose mids and treble. 

Side note - why are you selling off all your goods? Upgrading to something we can only dream of getting? 

Heya,

Went high-end. Shoulda listened to everyone day one, and skipped all the headphones and directly went to what I knew I'd eventually end up with.

I love the PRO 900's, but they don't do acoustic/vocals the kind of justice I need for a portable (largely due to it's metallic sound and recessed mids, which is what vocals are). They're absolutely boss for electronica and basically everything else, but I listen more to acoustic, vocals and folk. So they're going to a new home.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back