Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #2,431 of 5,992
O.k today i got mine...
I bought them from a seller at ebay at almost half the price that they are being sold here in Greece..
A real bargain i would say...
For the record,in Greece you will find them for 650 bucks..
eek.gif

I quickly plugged them to my M-Stage and started to listen at my favorite psy trance/techno collection..
I was blown away from the amount of bass this monster can produce.
I can't really describe it in words,you must experience this amazing feeling so as to realise how dominant it is..
Although in some very bass heavy tracks i find it a little boomy but i hope during burn in it will settle down.
But there is not only the bass which makes this headphone so unreal..
Clarity and high def sound is what you get listening to good recordings,a really good stereo sound feeling that makes you feel that you are at a beach party on an open club..
I am also a lucky person because my M-Stage does a hell of a job to widen and expand the soundstage to an audible level....
So i guess these are my first impressions out of the box...

Cheers,

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #2,432 of 5,992
Edit:Sorry,something wrong with my browser..

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #2,433 of 5,992
I just spent $20 on travel fees (I got lost, QQ) JUST to audition the Ultrasone PRO 900.
And wow, after hearing how these sound, $20 for being lost felt like it was worth it.

I listened to these unamped straight to my iPod classic "7G". 
Perfect bass impact (nice kick to bass-focused songs, while not intrusive with classical / jazz) IMO, with great detail, decent midrange and good treble. Billie Jean never sounded so realistic to my ears until I heard them from these. Cymbals (or rather, everything) sounds much more real compared to my AKG K 141s. Comfort was incredible with large and soft pads. The headband has some pressure, but not too much. And I can attest to the durability that you guys speak of - this feels like a tank.

The guys in the [really expensive-looking] shop seems knowledgeable enough about audio. I talked with one of them (which was a Filipino, so the conversation was easy), he has an Ultrasone PRO 750 and an AKG DJ headphone (he never mentioned the model, but I'm guessing its the K 181).

At a price of $540, I felt like these were worth it - and they made it much more worth it by giving me a 25% discount, bringing the price down to $410, much better than [non-open box] online shopping.

Give me a couple of months and I'll be a happy owner of these :) (so far I only have $25 but thank goodness I'll be getting ~$185 soon + a job)

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #2,434 of 5,992

Quote:
Give me a couple of months and I'll be a happy owner of these :) (so far I only have $25 but thank goodness I'll be getting ~$185 soon + a job)

That's the spirit..
Keep that thought....

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2,438 of 5,992

Aren't they supposed to be screwed on just like the standard pads? I just ordered the JMoney Denon pads assuming this from reading previous posts, but I hope my assumptions are right, since I'd hate to have to fiddle with stuff and potentially ruin it.
Quote:
Ha, yeah. 

Now I need to figure out a "safe" way to get those JMoney Denon pads on. Well, once I order them. 

These headphones really are something else. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,439 of 5,992

Quote:
Aren't they supposed to be screwed on just like the standard pads? I just ordered the JMoney Denon pads assuming this from reading previous posts, but I hope my assumptions are right, since I'd hate to have to fiddle with stuff and potentially ruin it.

You have to pull the rails off your sacrificial spare pads and glue them to the J$ pads.

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2,442 of 5,992
I hate surgeries and glueing..
I think i will skip the JMoney pads...
Good luck to anybody who will try the change..

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2,444 of 5,992
Quick question, I know it has been said the fiio e7 can power the Ultrasone Pro 900 fine. But, how big of a difference in sound quality is there between just the e7 + Ultrasone pro 900 versus the e7/e9 + 900?

I have the e7 already and ordered the headphones, but is buying the e9 worth it? (assuming that I'm not going to buy any other headphones in the near future).  For those who have the e7/e9 combo, would you be less inclined to listen to music if, let's say, you misplaced your e9 and had to wait for a replacement and could only use the e7+900 for the time being?

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2,445 of 5,992

Quote:
Quick question, I know it has been said the fiio e7 can power the Ultrasone Pro 900 fine. But, how big of a difference in sound quality is there between just the e7 + Ultrasone pro 900 versus the e7/e9 + 900?

I have the e7 already and ordered the headphones, but is buying the e9 worth it? (assuming that I'm not going to buy any other headphones in the near future).  For those who have the e7/e9 combo, would you be less inclined to listen to music if, let's say, you misplaced your e9 and had to wait for a replacement and could only use the e7+900 for the time being?

Heya,

When I alternate my PRO 900 between my Vivid V1 Tech (portable amp, equivalent to uDac and E7), Matrix Cube and Little Dot, I really can't tell you that there's a huge difference, other than the tube definitely makes my highs and lows different (highs roll off nicely, no shrill, bass is very boomy, warm and fast). I honestly don't think you're going to know the difference, unless the volume is different, between a powerful amp and a portable amp, on the PRO 900's. Just my opinion.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back