Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #2,071 of 5,992
I have no idea what your idea of pleasant is, but some people like shamrock think cables dont do anything. You may be better off with a hd650 or an another phone if it is bothering you.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #2,072 of 5,992
I would like to make my 900 balanced, but I don't dear going into that territory yet.

The plan would probably be drilling a hole on the right can, remove the original cabling and solder on a new.

Think someone has done it before, however I am unable to locate any posts regarding this :/

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #2,073 of 5,992
I think you can get balanced pro 900s from moon audio

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #2,074 of 5,992
I just want to be clear I'm not saying cables make a difference or don't make a difference. I'm just saying I cannot hear a difference with the Blue Dragon. This may be because there aren't any or I'm simply unable to notice them.

Despite this, I've just ordered a Double Helix Macromolecule for my LCD-2.
biggrin.gif
 That is for aesthetic and ergonomic reasons though.

Quote:
some people like shamrock think cables dont do anything.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #2,075 of 5,992
Here is my 2cents on 650 vs Pro 900:  ( a very odd comparison BTW )

Pro 900s is brighter, more aggressive with more bass impact, you get more high end treble detail to give electronic music that zing.

The 650 has an overall smoother sound ..aka laid back, she has bass is there but its slower, quantity is available with EQ and can kick it out nicely but.. its not a monster like the 900. 

I still have my 650s and still find excuses not to sell them as they are a must have / have tried Can, I know that if I ever want explore other music the 650s will needed.

If the 900 is to pricey I can recommend the Denon D2000.. another great general \ electronic can, I listen to it every day..  right now infact :)

Re pro 900 Bass impact:

I have the Xorner Essence STX > Matrix M-stage (solid state) and the 900s impact is solid.   In fact from my S:flo2 DAP with the E11 with bass boost the bass is awesome one all levels.

Quote:
Would you say this tames the highs to a pleasant level? I find the Pro 900's highs quite harsh sometimes.

Other than a super long burn, longer duration higher volume listening can be fatiguing. In the early hours down right painful.  But now (approx 200+) my 900 highs are sweet.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #2,076 of 5,992

Quote:
I just want to be clear I'm not saying cables make a difference or don't make a difference. I'm just saying I cannot hear a difference with the Blue Dragon. This may be because there aren't any or I'm simply unable to notice them.

Despite this, I've just ordered a Double Helix Macromolecule for my LCD-2.
biggrin.gif
 That is for aesthetic and ergonomic reasons though.

Dude,  I can hear your wallet softly weeping... give the poor little guy a break.

Looking forward to some Pro 900 / LCD2 comparisons...

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #2,077 of 5,992

Quote:
Dude,  I can hear your wallet softly weeping... give the poor little guy a break.

Looking forward to some Pro 900 / LCD2 comparisons...

Lol it is weeping for sure. However, I got that job in London so I'm trying to get all this audio gear purchasing out of my system before I move down and can barely afford to live.
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #2,078 of 5,992
Actually, I really love the sound of the Pro 900 (I don't think the 650 is what I'm looking for). It's just the highs that I think are a bit too harsh sometimes.

I'll try the Kees mod tonight, see how it works.

Quote:
I have no idea what your idea of pleasant is, but some people like shamrock think cables dont do anything. You may be better off with a hd650 or an another phone if it is bothering you.

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #2,080 of 5,992
I don't think it's worth comparing them. They sound totally different, unlike the D7000 vs. Pro900 comparisons which are reasonable because they both share the V-shape frequency response.

I'd be careful saying it trumps the Pro900 in every category. It depends what people are looking for. If someone wants a nightclub-like sound in their headphones the LCD-2 doesn't trump the Pro900 for that.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #2,082 of 5,992
to me lcd-2 could be named d9000.

pro 900s do bass way better in my opinion.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2,084 of 5,992
ok folks, im in the 20-30 hours.. burn in mark and i can say with relief the sharp, harsh, annoying etc.. etc.. has died down a little bit making it more bearable. I am starting think  though that my DAC might have caused the harsh highs b/c of a tweak i did with my dac. If it is true that this needs 200 hrs to hit its peak i'll be a happy camper.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #2,085 of 5,992
The pro2900 sound far more natural. The treble extends very well, but it isn't as harsh as t pro900's. The midrange is monore forward, warmer and smoother. The graininess of the pro900's vocals is gone. In effect, smoother midrange with the incredible transperancy provide for a very natural presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back