Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #1,546 of 5,992
They dont need an amp and sound great without one, but they sound phenominal with one. If you want to get the most from your 900s you will want to amp them but users without an amp will still find that they sound fantastic

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #1,547 of 5,992
This 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
They dont need an amp and sound great without one, but they sound phenominal with one. If you want to get the most from your 900s you will want to amp them but users without an amp will still find that they sound fantastic

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,549 of 5,992
I am considering a tube amp for my Pro 900s and just to add to my equipment as I do not and have not had a tube amp before...At the moment, I am considering the Littledot MKIII or MKIV.   Does any one have any experience with the Pro 900s and tube amps that would be able to share some insight with us?

I am currently using an E9 to power them.  I am also looking to get some Denon D7000s in the future if that changes the amp choices... thanks.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,550 of 5,992
Im in the same boat as you only im getting an hd650 instead of a d7000

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,551 of 5,992
Without an amp I found the bass to be boomy, muddy and uncontrolled.

And if you're looking to get the HD650, consider the LCD-2's. If you manage to save up for them they're almost definitely the better headphone. Similar sound signatures.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,552 of 5,992

Quote:
Im in the same boat as you only im getting an hd650 instead of a d7000

i heard that the little dot IV will do great with the HD650 rather than the d7000. The reason for that has to do with the impedance level of each of the headphones, the hd650 need the amping while the d7000 has too low of an imp. That's not to say the d7000 wont work with the little dot, but you may want to email david to ask him about the d7000 personally. He may recommend the little dot I which does a better job with low imp headphones for a lower price. 

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,553 of 5,992
I used the MKIII with the Pro 900 when I had it. I'm not sure if it was just the amp, but the so called "improvement" was very subtle. I just cannot justify buying and using an amp when the sound improvement it provides isn't worth the amps price tag. Even with the EF5, stuff is still not as great as everyone thinks it will be. I remember when I first joined here, and I would stress about amps more than anything, because I wanted the headphone, but didn't want to pay for the amp. Now, honestly, I don't even care if I have one or not. That's why my next and newest home rig will consist of no amp. Well, I'll still have my EF5 and use that for desktop listening, but I'll mostly just plug straight into my MP3 device.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #1,554 of 5,992

Quote:
Without an amp I found the bass to be boomy, muddy and uncontrolled.

Pretty much this. Without and amp the pro900's sound boomy and muddy and the bass overwhelms the mids. Both the M-Stage and D12 pull it right in line. They still sound good without and amp, but they become excellent with one.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #1,555 of 5,992
Right, I have an amp.  I am using the E9.  I want to know if the Pro 900s benefit from a tube amp like the MKIII or the MKIV or even the Valhalla?

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #1,556 of 5,992

Quote:
I am considering a tube amp for my Pro 900s and just to add to my equipment as I do not and have not had a tube amp before...At the moment, I am considering the Littledot MKIII or MKIV.   Does any one have any experience with the Pro 900s and tube amps that would be able to share some insight with us?

I am currently using an E9 to power them.  I am also looking to get some Denon D7000s in the future if that changes the amp choices... thanks.

i've never tried the little dot mk 4 amp on my pro 2900,, but the wooaudio 6 sound very good with my pro 2900,, very smooth sound with amazing sound stage.. i've tried many amp with ultrasone  and i think they're not match well with some tube amp,, but with the wa 6 its a very good combination i think.. get it if you manage to increase your budget..

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,557 of 5,992

Quote:

i've never tried the little dot mk 4 amp on my pro 2900,, but the wooaudio 6 sound very good with my pro 2900,, very smooth sound with amazing sound stage.. i've tried many amp with ultrasone  and i think they're not match well with some tube amp,, but with the wa 6 its a very good combination i think.. get it if you manage to increase your budget..

Thank you for the recommendation.  I forgot about that amp.   I had been meaning to research it more.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #1,558 of 5,992
Both the Pro 900 and the D7000 tend to like solid state amps more than tube amps.  An amp such as the Woo 6 will, of course, make most headphones sound good.  Those of us with lower budgets, stick to solid state.  They provide more current (generally), something both the Ultrasones and the Denons really appreciate.  A tube amp would take the Ultrasone sound signature and subdue it somewhat, so if that is your goal, than go for it.  If you like it how it sounds now, then get a solid state and it will just improve things further without changing it too much.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #1,559 of 5,992
I just got the Pro 900 headphone a couple of weeks ago and the burn in process is going great.
There's one thing though that I'm concerned about, and that is the fact that the left monitor seems to vibrate much more than the right when any bass is present. That is, it feels like the left monitor is trying to pop out of the can while the right one is almost still. Note, that the sound is the same in both monitors. I'm wondering if this could potentially damage the left monitor and why the monitors don't behave the same way.

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,560 of 5,992
i forget who said the pro 900's don't need an amp, but IMO they are dead wrong. They went from harsh highs ouch! this was even with eq'ing and cutting out all the highs == like "whispery".  Amp has really helped fix this, but i need a better amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back