Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #1,517 of 5,992

Quote:

Alright. Is there a big difference between stock and upgrade cable?

NO.  It will always be one of the biggest debates in audio land, "do cables make a difference?"  That is a discussion for the science forum, not here. The Blue Dragon cable is a very well made aftermarket cable, but does it make a big difference in the sound of a Pro900, IMO no.  Does it make any difference at all?  People need to make up their own opinion on that one.  If you listen to and believe the people that tell you that it will make a big/significant difference (always for the better I might add) then you just might be disappointed.  Cables do not make a significant difference, if they did, then the debate would not be so contentious.  I have had a Blue Dragon and standard Pro, and a Kee's mod will alter the sound far more than any cable ( and cost significantly less than $200).  I know there will be a swarm of posts to say I am wrong, so believe who you will and good luck with your journey.

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #1,518 of 5,992
my short take is: worth the price? absolutely 100% NO. is it different than stock? IMO, definitively yes. is the difference i hear better? absolutely. again, worth the price? no. did i buy it, love it, and then end up selling it (and the pro 900s) because i got D7k's? yes.

everyone will hear differently. just like kernmac said, good luck with your journey, but i'd only recommend buying the cable if you KNOW the phones will be your end-all for a good long time AND you think they don't have enough bass with the stock cable. kees mod and the BD cable are kinda opposites.. kees will tame the headphones, make them a bit more balanced/closer to an all arounder, whereas the BD cable will BASS MONSTRIFY them, making them only suitable for EDM, hip hop, etc... i had the pro 900s and cable for a month and then fell victim to that little voice going "... yeah, these are great... but... what does... [insert headphone here] sound like???" and ended up with some D7k's and a huge, eternal grin on my face. accompanied, of course, by a huge, hopefully non-eternal hole in my wallet 
L3000.gif

Quote:

NO.  It will always be one of the biggest debates in audio land, "do cables make a difference?"  That is a discussion for the science forum, not here. The Blue Dragon cable is a very well made aftermarket cable, but does it make a big difference in the sound of a Pro900, IMO no.  Does it make any difference at all?  People need to make up their own opinion on that one.  If you listen to and believe the people that tell you that it will make a big/significant difference (always for the better I might add) then you just might be disappointed.  Cables do not make a significant difference, if they did, then the debate would not be so contentious.  I have had a Blue Dragon and standard Pro, and a Kee's mod will alter the sound far more than any cable ( and cost significantly less than $200).  I know there will be a swarm of posts to say I am wrong, so believe who you will and good luck with your journey.

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #1,519 of 5,992

Quote:

What makes you say no? You mean the stock vs BD isnt much of a difference? Or is it because the BD is overpriced? Kindly expound

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #1,520 of 5,992

Quote:

What makes you say no? You mean the stock vs BD isnt much of a difference? Or is it because the BD is overpriced? Kindly expound

I thought my post was pretty clear.  No - means I do not believe that there is a big (if any) difference in sound between stock and aftermarket cable.  I do not see how you could interpret my post any other way.  I didn't say that the aftermarket cable is overpriced in any part of my post.  For the record I do not believe they represent "value" for sound, however people change cables for other reasons.  EG: length, termination type etc.  I am done with this topic.  You have my opinion, now you only need to form your own opinion.

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #1,521 of 5,992
OK I got convinced to get these. They will be my first headphones and I found a shop that sells them for 400€(560$) so I hope they will be worth it. Standard retail price is about 430-440€ around here so still a good buy.
They got standard 2 years warranty, I actually found a store in UK that sells them for the same price with 3 yr warranty, but shipping is twice as high as from Czech rep. so... But I should have considered it probably more carefully, 3 years is 3 years...

Yeah and comments like "Are you crazy? I got them for 300$ from E-bay" pls keep to yourselves. Good for you if you did not have to pay high shipping costs, customs and don't need warranty...

Actually I bought them as for father's company, that means I won't have to pay VAT and 330€ is not that bad deal for me, is it? :)

P.S.: I'm really looking forward to put them on, exceptional closed movie cans is all I need.

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #1,522 of 5,992

Quote:
OK I got convinced to get these. They will be my first headphones and I found a shop that sells them for 400€(560$) so I hope they will be worth it. Standard retail price is about 430-440€ around here so still a good buy.
They got standard 2 years warranty, I actually found a store in UK that sells them for the same price with 3 yr warranty, but shipping is twice as high as from Czech rep. so... But I should have considered it probably more carefully, 3 years is 3 years...

Yeah and comments like "Are you crazy? I got them for 300$ from E-bay" pls keep to yourselves. Good for you if you did not have to pay high shipping costs, customs and don't need warranty...

Actually I bought them as for father's company, that means I won't have to pay VAT and 330€ is not that bad deal for me, is it? :)

P.S.: I'm really looking forward to put them on, exceptional closed movie cans is all I need.

To be honest, I think paying more to buy it locally with a proper warranty is a better idea. Receiving a faulty product that takes 2 weeks to ship back, having to pay for shipping as well as re-stocking fees is just too much hassle. Congratulations on your purchase :).

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,523 of 5,992
Hey,
Checking in after having spent some time with my J$ pads for quite some time. I'm still comparing the two, but from what I've gathered so far, I'll say that both the stock (silver) and J$ pads have their advantages. Hopefully, in the up coming days, I'll find time to write up a thorough comparison with my impressions. Would anyone be interested in reading about them?

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,524 of 5,992
Sure would :)

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #1,525 of 5,992
@Vaya: Just so you know, the pro 900 have 5 years of warranty from Ultrasone. Ultrasone is stationed in Bavaria, which is very close to Czech Republic. It's a small company, so they answer inquiries very quickly and are very assistive.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #1,526 of 5,992

Quote:
@Vaya: Just so you know, the pro 900 have 5 years of warranty from Ultrasone. Ultrasone is stationed in Bavaria, which is very close to Czech Republic. It's a small company, so they answer inquiries very quickly and are very assistive.

Do companies honour warranties if the headphones aren't purchased through an authorized reseller, though?

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #1,528 of 5,992
Well I got them for three days and I can't say that I'm impressed. They are quite sibilant so I have to EQ down higher frequencies, wide soundstage I only noticed in attached test cd, bass is good but not that great and I'm also noticing little cracks in sound in background. But that is not very noticeable. Sound isolation is fine and comfort is only average.

But it's not my place to review yet, I only have them for three days and I never tried them with proper source. Only with my onboard "HD" soundcard, hi-fi and cell phone.
I am going to buy Asus Essence ST for them so I hope that this will improve my experience by lot, otherwise they are not worth it. So far it's comparable experience as with my 40€ Logitech X-230 repro :)

I'm also not sure whether it's a good step to go for Essence ST, which has some built-in hp amp if I'm already thinking to buy some external amp like for example E7 for them later. Or maybe some lower Asus soundcard and go straight for some amp as well? I read some reviews and they wrote that Xonar Essence is quite better than it's lower class brothers and I might find its different 3D features quite beneficial for my movie and games experience. Hmm

I don't put many hopes in improvement after burn in, but as I don't see big difference between 128/320Kbit mp3/FLAC, it may be indeed just matter of poor output hardware.
Hope that Asus sc will be enough for this. Don't get me wrong, I quite like what I hear so far, but it's far from 400€ WOW experience and as I have already tried it with our hi-fi which was quite expensive at the time and It was only slight improvement against PC, I remain quite sceptical :frowning2:

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,529 of 5,992

Quote:
Well I got them for three days and I can't say that I'm impressed. They are quite sibilant so I have to EQ down higher frequencies, wide soundstage I only noticed in attached test cd, bass is good but not that great and I'm also noticing little cracks in sound in background. But that is not very noticeable. Sound isolation is fine and comfort is only average.

But it's not my place to review yet, I only have them for three days and I never tried them with proper source. Only with my onboard "HD" soundcard, hi-fi and cell phone.
I am going to buy Asus Essence ST for them so I hope that this will improve my experience by lot, otherwise they are not worth it. So far it's comparable experience as with my 40€ Logitech X-230 repro :)

I'm also not sure whether it's a good step to go for Essence ST, which has some built-in hp amp if I'm already thinking to buy some external amp like for example E7 for them later. Or maybe some lower Asus soundcard and go straight for some amp as well? I read some reviews and they wrote that Xonar Essence is quite better than it's lower class brothers and I might find its different 3D features quite beneficial for my movie and games experience. Hmm

I don't put many hopes in improvement after burn in, but as I don't see big difference between 128/320Kbit mp3/FLAC, it may be indeed just matter of poor output hardware.
Hope that Asus sc will be enough for this. Don't get me wrong, I quite like what I hear so far, but it's far from 400€ WOW experience and as I have already tried it with our hi-fi which was quite expensive at the time and It was only slight improvement against PC, I remain quite sceptical :frowning2:

burn in is true on these headphones, i can attest to that. These headphones sound very over bloated in the beginning and get progressively better the longer they burn-in. Give it at least 200 hours before you write a formal review for it and you'll see a difference

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #1,530 of 5,992

Quote:

burn in is true on these headphones, i can attest to that. These headphones sound very over bloated in the beginning and get progressively better the longer they burn-in. Give it at least 200 hours before you write a formal review for it and you'll see a difference

Very much agreed so. I mean, running the Pro 900 both unamped and specially from an onboard audio chip is doing an awful service to the headphones.

While I did notice burn-in improvements (gear and/or mental), I got them earlier than the advised 400 hours, more between 60-120 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back