Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,561 of 5,992
I think comments made saying the Pro 900's don't need an amp mean that they can technically be run at respectable volumes, and enjoyed, straight out of most DAP's.... But, I do agree with you that they benefit hugely from a quality amp. I remember getting them, thinking how excellent they were straight out of my Sony X on first listen, but as I experimented with a few amps, the sound quality gained was immediately noticeable. And now when going back to DAP only, the sound is more congested and flabby. It's rather amazing how much more refined they are with higher current exacting control over the titanium plated drivers.....

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #1,562 of 5,992

Quote:
i forget who said the pro 900's don't need an amp, but IMO they are dead wrong. They went from harsh highs ouch! this was even with eq'ing and cutting out all the highs == like "whispery".  Amp has really helped fix this, but i need a better amp.

They don't need an amp and to the untrained ear sound incredible straight out of an ipod. For me it's even passable without an amp but lacking because I know what they're capable of with one.

Bottom line is if your an audiophile then your going to use an amp, if your just a casual listener you won't use an amp and you'll still be mesmerized and never think twice about it.

There's no need in scaring people away by saying that the pro 900 has to be amped to be listenable, that's not the case. To you perhaps it may be but not to most people.

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #1,563 of 5,992

Quote:

They don't need an amp and to the untrained ear sound incredible straight out of an ipod. For me it's even passable without an amp but lacking because I know what they're capable of with one.

Bottom line is if your an audiophile then your going to use an amp, if your just a casual listener you won't use an amp and you'll still be mesmerized and never think twice about it.

There's no need in scaring people away by saying that the pro 900 has to be amped to be listenable, that's not the case. To you perhaps it may be but not to most people.

it really depends on where you listen it to. I'll say you're completely right about "if you don't know about the amp, then it's passable without one." It entirely is passable without an amp and even if you're an audiophile, you'll still be somewhat pleased with it. Where you listen to it also plays a big part. When you're on a train or walking around, you're not really be analytical, you just want fun music, so an amp really isn't needed. When you're sitting down in a quiet library or in a quiet room, you're more analytical and you're more focused on each part of the sound. That's the case for me at least, i don't know how people actually bought the Pro 900s for analytical purposes, but i got these for the "fun" purpose. I love that club dance floor vibe that these headphones give. If you're being analytical, then these shouldn't be your headphones. I would suggest going for something like the HD650 since they do a better job at being analytical. All in all, an amp really isn't needed for you to enjoy the sound coming out of the Pro 900s

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #1,564 of 5,992
Well I did some more listening and figured out I was Eq'ing too much. I really don't know what sounds good to me now. Some of my cheaper headphones sound less detailed, but more smoother because of it. Maybe I am training my ears. Pretty soon cheap headphones will sound like mud. I also have this habit of liking whatever headphone I listen to for more than 2 hours straight.

For example in the span of 5 minutes listening to pro 900s, I went from " this sound like tiny crap" to "wow that was cool I've never heard that" and then mulling over that dichotomy.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #1,565 of 5,992

it really depends on where you listen it to. I'll say you're completely right about "if you don't know about the amp, then it's passable without one." It entirely is passable without an amp and even if you're an audiophile, you'll still be somewhat pleased with it. Where you listen to it also plays a big part. When you're on a train or walking around, you're not really be analytical, you just want fun music, so an amp really isn't needed. When you're sitting down in a quiet library or in a quiet room, you're more analytical and you're more focused on each part of the sound. That's the case for me at least, i don't know how people actually bought the Pro 900s for analytical purposes, but i got these for the "fun" purpose. I love that club dance floor vibe that these headphones give. If you're being analytical, then these shouldn't be your headphones. I would suggest going for something like the HD650 since they do a better job at being analytical. All in all, an amp really isn't needed for you to enjoy the sound coming out of the Pro 900s

No I want to use an amp to mellow them out and make them less analytical
I've heard people discuss different amps doing more analytical vs less analytical to no amp.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,566 of 5,992
I usually run my PRO900's through a Schiit Lyr (a hybrid), and I can definitely say (IMO) that they sound a lot smoother, even my wife tried them and agreed that they were nice to listen to & she usually doesn't like to have anything to do with any of my cans. Before that I used a Yulong D100 (solid state class A + dac), which also sounded great, but I was pleasantly surprised with the the Lyr - I guess it's the tubes.......

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #1,568 of 5,992
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting these headphones with the fiio e9 and my creative soundblaster xfi titanium soundcard. I primarily game and I heard that these headphones had good bass which is what I am looking for, but does it give up the smaller details like footsteps and reloading? Also for music I listen to jazz, Indie, and alternative rock. Would these headphones be good for me?

By the way, I previously owned the ad700 and the dt990 32 and I felt that both lacked the bass I wanted, although the DT990 WAS refurbished and I had no amp for them

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,569 of 5,992
The Pro900 combined with Dolby Headphone (dunno about CMSS3D) is a great gaming can IMO. I used to use them all the time for L4D2, CoD:Blops and CSS. However, I was willing to give up the bass for the AD700 as I'd rather have slightly more awareness over exciting explosions.

Can't help you on the music side though!

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #1,570 of 5,992
Even without Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D, Ultrasone's have excellent detail retrieval. Imo they're even better than AD700's for gaming, but then S-Logic "works" for me.

Ultrasone's definitely excel at electronica, but they do well with pretty much everything imo.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #1,571 of 5,992
I still find the bass somewhat distracting, but I agree they are great for directional audio providing you can pick out the footsteps from the bassy grenade blasts and gunfire around you.

I should be receiving my Blue Dragon soon. I'm a big skeptic when it comes to things like cables so I could be converted or severaly disappointed! I plan to test the differences using the headstage arrow because it has 2 headphone outs meaning I can have the stock and BD plugged in simultaneously and just quickly switch the Pro900 over to compare.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #1,572 of 5,992
Has anyone here heard both the PRo900 and the Pro2900, I'm about to order a 2900 for $400 and was wondering if it was worth the extra money. I'm looking for something with an airy sound and I was wondering how well the Pro900 did with that.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,573 of 5,992
the pro 900 have a good sound stage and separation but i dont think that the sound is airy.. pro 2900 is certainly more airy than pro 900 because of its open design.. but still its not as airy and open than ATH ad900 or sr80i that you have.. i think its a little more airy than hd598..

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #1,574 of 5,992
Now I'm confused :p
The SR80 was not airy at all, and the Senn was the airiest headphone I've heard. I'm trying to find something with the Airyness of the Senn and its angled drivers but tighter bass and more of a fun sound.
I went ahead and ordered the 2900, I'll post up some impressions if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back