Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,576 of 5,992
Hey guys,

I'm still really new to all this stuff so I decided to ask here

If I have the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, will buying a DAC such as the fiio e7 improve my sound?

Also, will the fiio e9 have enough power to drive the Ultrasone Pro 900's?

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #1,577 of 5,992
Do the 900s sound ok or nice while listening to some Rock n Roll?

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #1,578 of 5,992
Quote:

If I have the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, will buying a DAC such as the fiio e7 improve my sound?

Also, will the fiio e9 have enough power to drive the Ultrasone Pro 900's?

The E7 is for those who do not have a DAC or decent soundcard. In your case the E7 won't really make much of a difference. The E9 was built to power headphones far more power hungry than the not at all power hungry PRO 900's... so yes it has more than enough power and then some.

Quote:

They sound amazing with rock.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #1,579 of 5,992

Quote:
Now I'm confused :p
The SR80 was not airy at all, and the Senn was the airiest headphone I've heard. I'm trying to find something with the Airyness of the Senn and its angled drivers but tighter bass and more of a fun sound.
I went ahead and ordered the 2900, I'll post up some impressions if anyone is interested.

when im tried the senn i find that they have a big sound stage but sound a little muddy that makes it sound not too airy "for me".. well maybe i heard them with a wrong setup,, i even think that senn hd 558 has airier sound than 598.. :p

waiting for your pro 2900 impression then..

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #1,580 of 5,992

Quote:

i would have to say yes , they would be great IMO

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #1,581 of 5,992

Quote:
Now I'm confused :p
The SR80 was not airy at all, and the Senn was the airiest headphone I've heard. I'm trying to find something with the Airyness of the Senn and its angled drivers but tighter bass and more of a fun sound.
I went ahead and ordered the 2900, I'll post up some impressions if anyone is interested.

Good choice. You wont regret :)
One of the best portables imo :)

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,582 of 5,992

Quote:
Good choice. You wont regret :)
One of the best portables imo :)

Pro 2900, portable
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,583 of 5,992
For full sized headphones I think Ultrasone's are actually pretty good for portability :p

edit: although not the open ones so much :|

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,584 of 5,992
:p. so far I find my K81s better than everything I have tried, the AD900 is about equal, lets hope the Ultrasones will be able to dethrone the $50 monster in my collection.
The Ultrasones will be here some time next week. :) I'm taking suggestions for songs to use in my mini review, I'm just starting to get into techno, trance, and the like. I'm a metalhead at heart black, death, drone, doom, and folk.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,587 of 5,992
These are the songs I put on a demo CD that I use with new headphones:

The Crystal Method - Name Of the Game
Massive Attack - Protection
Röyksopp - Eple
Rage Against the Machine - Born Of A Broken Man
Infected Mushroom - Poquito Mas
Feed Me - Blood Red
The Flashbulb - Autumn Insomnia Session
Oasis - She's Electric
Netsky - Secret Agent
Green Day - All the Time
Outkast - B.O.B.
Rise Against - Collapse (Post Amerika)
Pendulum - Ransom
Ellie Goulding - Lights (Bassnectar Remix)
Pendulum - Showdown
Silverchair - Freak
B-Complex - Three Dots
Rage Against the Machine - Take the Power Back

You should make your own one of songs that you enjoy, so that you know how they really sound, then test headphones with them :).

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,588 of 5,992
Yeah I already have a few, I use
Bathory - Death and Ressurection of a Northern Son to test speed
and Electric Wizard - Mind Transferal to test out the bass quantity
and Darkthrone - Those Treasures Will Never Befall You to test how well they do with growled vocals.
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll try to use a couple of them.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #1,589 of 5,992
i just have to say... i had the pro 900's, got the blue dragon cable, thought that was the end-all-be-all, a month later got denon d7000's, and had listed the pro 900's on ebay... since then, while i dearly love the d7k's, i've listed, ended, listed, and ended again the auction for the pro 900's... i just can't part with them! despite the smaller soundstage, scooped, metallic, sound, and (relative!) uncomfortableness... they still end up on my head at least a few times a day! for bass-heavy EDM, dubstep, etc... where mastering is poor, soundstage is rather irrelevant, and what you want is a bright, fun, powerful, sound with absolutely earth-shattering, vision-blurring bass... the pro 900's + BD cable + e7/e9 just make me smile. a lot. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #1,590 of 5,992
I personally think the pro 900s take some time to get used to. You can't listen to them right away and decide you don't like them. I'm at about 300+ hours now and they take some time to get used to. I am starting to get into the sound signature, and like above find myself smiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back