Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #301 of 5,992

Quote:
Apologies for the double post...not sure how to edit quotes into my existing posts (since it's not in UBB tags).

Quote:
Got the PRO 900 this morning and have been listening to them for about 2 hours. I think we have a WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
So far, I love everything about them! High and mid are clear, even clearer than 580 and the bass is also awesome as well, tight and loud!. This is from a Mac Pro so I am even more anxious to try with an amp and DAC (E7/E9 should be here in 2 days). Comfort-wise it's between HFI-580 and DT770 PRO but closer to DT770 so I am not complaining. Sound leak is also very close to DT770 so it will leak a little bit but not enough to be heard by people several feet away. Gonna burn this baby in for a while with the new amp/DAC and will do a full comparison review with HFI-580 and DT770 PRO 80. Going back to listening mode now
biggrin.gif

I am very tickled by your impressions. Since I'm coming from the HFI 580, this sounds like a near winner for me as well. I would be very interested to hear more comparisons in between the two. Is the bass stronger or weaker in the Pro 900? How do the soundstages compare?

Dougeefresh actually plans to do a review comparing the HFI-580's against the DT770-80 Pro & PRO900. He's just waiting for his E7/E9 amp to come in.

I'm highly anticipating it x] though I probably wouldn't even be able to select the PRO900's as they reportedly leak sound (and that can be a big problem for me)..unless someone that owns a PRO900 can come up with a leak-less mod/solution.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #302 of 5,992

Quote:

Dougeefresh actually plans to do a review comparing the HFI-580's against the DT770-80 Pro & PRO900. He's just waiting for his E7/E9 amp to come in.

I'm highly anticipating it x] though I probably wouldn't even be able to select the PRO900's as they reportedly leak sound (and that can be a big problem for me)..unless someone that owns a PRO900 can come up with a leak-less mod/solution.

Who let the cat out of the bag?
wink.gif

My E7/E9 got to the UPS center a couple of miles away from me this morning but I don't think they will deliver today!!! And, they won't let me pick up unless there was at least one delivery attempt made
frown.gif
so more waiting...

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #304 of 5,992
Isnt thepro 900 large heavy and clunky like the other pro ultrasone models, with significant space between your head and the headband above your ears?  A set that heavy with a thin piece of padding on such an expensive set makes no sense to me.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #305 of 5,992

Quote:
I am currently an owner of the HFI 580s. I'm looking for a new set of cans. I have a set of AKG K702 on order, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Now, I have a strong feeling the bass impact from the K702 will not be enough and I will want to go back to the Ultrasone signature. Here are my wants from a headphones:

Slightly less bass than the HFI 580 (not a must, but wouldn't mind a little less)
More comfortable than the HFI 580 (hopefully the velour pads help with this)
Bigger soundstage than the HFI 580 (the 580 has a great soundstage for closed cans, but I want more!)
Similar trebble rolloff to the HFI 580 (the HFI 580 are pleasing to my ears, and I don't find them harsh whatsoever...I'd like to keep this quality)

I currently have a Maverick Audio D1 that I'm using as a DAC/AMP (running from my PC).

The headphones that seemed most appropriate were the Pro 750, Pro 900, and Pro 2900.

I thought the Pro 2900 might actually satisfy a few of the criteria, by diminishing the bass impact, increasing the comfort (due to them likely being lighter than the closed headphones), and expanding the soundstage.

Here is a short answer.

1. PRO 900 has more bass but higher quality, crisper and tighter. It also goes down pretty low, about the same if not more than 580.
2. Definitely more comfy!!!
3. Soundstage is wider then 580.
4. 580's mid and high comes out a little in certain music but still very nice (which is why I prefer this over ATH-M50). PRO 900 retains the same sound signature and its high and mid are still clear and crisp but they blend in better with the other frequencies than 580.

I would say PRO 900 will satisfy 3 out of 4 your requested.

Considering PRO 900's driver's 20% smaller than 580 the sound coming out is pretty amazing especially the bass.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #306 of 5,992

Quote:
Isnt thepro 900 large heavy and clunky like the other pro ultrasone models, with significant space between your head and the headband above your ears?  A set that heavy with a thin piece of padding on such an expensive set makes no sense to me.

900's slightly larger in size (maybe 5-10%) and weighs 10g more than 580 which is negligible (580=285g, 900=295g). The padding on top is similar to 580 except it's velvet instead of pleather. I prefer DT770's all-around padding though. What kills me is the 580's super duper clamping force since I wear glasses.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #308 of 5,992

Quote:
It's a shame there are no 900 vs 2900 comparisons. :frowning2:

2900 is an open-back. I already have an open-back (Grado) so I won't spending more money on one (yet)
etysmile.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #309 of 5,992

Quote:

The pros aren't heavy.
The pad on the headband is the only part that touches the top of the head so why have more padding.
Pro 900's earpads look more puffy than other ones so they probably are more comfortable than some other Pro models.
The pros have a pretty good grip on the sides at first but after some time loosens up.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #311 of 5,992
Got 'em today and have only heard them briefly but I can already tell they're special. Unique sonic signature, for sure. Love the bass. I've heard them with the Heed Canamp so far and it really rocks. Looking forward to putting them through their paces with the rest of my gear!

Quote:
Glad we could all help
biggrin.gif

Please let us know what you think of them once your receive them.  I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Quote:
This thread really got me excited. Thanks everyone! Mine are on the way from the recommended ebay seller. Looking forward! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #313 of 5,992
Great to hear you're liking them carledwards! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Got 'em today and have only heard them briefly but I can already tell they're special. Unique sonic signature, for sure. Love the bass. I've heard them with the Heed Canamp so far and it really rocks. Looking forward to putting them through their paces with the rest of my gear!

Quote:
Glad we could all help
biggrin.gif

Please let us know what you think of them once your receive them.  I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Quote:
This thread really got me excited. Thanks everyone! Mine are on the way from the recommended ebay seller. Looking forward! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #314 of 5,992
I had the K701, and the Pro 900s are slightly more detailed.  Obviously the soundstage is nowhere near as big on the 900s, but it images so well that, for a closed headphone, I don't find myself missing the soundstage of the AKGs.

Quote:
My k701 sound more detailed compared to the hfi 580 but the bass of the k701 is not as much as the hfi580 but it does have a big soundstage.

I suggest getting the pro900 if you want a step up from the hfi 580.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #315 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:

The pros aren't heavy.
The pad on the headband is the only part that touches the top of the head so why have more padding.
Pro 900's earpads look more puffy than other ones so they probably are more comfortable than some other Pro models.
The pros have a pretty good grip on the sides at first but after some time loosens up.

How does the headband loosen if it is made of plastic?  I meant there are large gaps between the side of your head and the headband itself, meaning the headband doesnt conform to the shape of a human head and is more like a rounded square instead of a half circle.  I recently had the pro 750 and the Dj1 pro and both of them had gaps big enough for me to stick my whole hand through and not touch either side.  For example the worst of the crop were the Shure 840 in design, huge gaps, both ultrasones put 100% of the weight right at the crown of your head and only offered a thin strip of padding.  

I was asking if the pro 900 did the same and after looking at some pictures and the specs sheet, it looks like its designed the same as all the others 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back