Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #331 of 5,992
Perhaps, but doesn't it surprise you that barely anyone owns the pro2900? I'm sure quite a few people have auditioned both prior to making a choice. Considering that barely anyone owns the pro2900, I think it's sort of clear that the pro900 are better. However, I'll be a little less naive and say that it might also be because, as an open back headphone at that price $600, the pro2900 have a lot fiercer competition.

Quote:

Really doubt it has less or much less just because something is open doesn't mean it will have weaker bass Pro 2500 proved that. And that's what one person says not fact.
The advantages of a open headphone makes me think the Pro 2900 will simply sound better than the Pro 900.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #332 of 5,992

Quote:
Oh you definitely couldn't use them in a library unless you listened at a bit below moderate volume

Quote:

Well, for example there will be times where I'd want to use these in a library, or near a friends' room while theyre sleeping and the apartment is quiet.

Are you going for phones that no one will be able to hear even a peep, in a completely silent library? Or, are you looking for phones that won't wake up your roommate? Do you have sensitive roommates who wake at the slightest noise? Will you be rocking out trance all the time? Do you listen to music at an ear-deafening level? Are you concerned about people finding out you are listening to music or what you are listening to? How far will your peers be when you listen?

My point is every headphones will leak no matter what if you listen in an absolutely silent environment. Every headphone will leak in a mildly noisy environment if you are rocking out in high volume. If you are so concerned about sound leaking out (your #1 priority) then get an IEM and that's about all you can get. Both M50 and 580 will leak if you play loud enough and close enough to the headphones.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #333 of 5,992
I did find one flaw with PRO 900!
My finger gets pinched between the half-circular loop that holds the ear piece and the plastic part of the ear piece!

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #334 of 5,992

Quote:
Perhaps, but doesn't it surprise you that barely anyone owns the pro2900? I'm sure quite a few people have auditioned both prior to making a choice. Considering that barely anyone owns the pro2900, I think it's sort of clear that the pro900 are better. However, I'll be a little less naive and say that it might also be because, as an open back headphone at that price $600, the pro2900 have a lot fiercer competition.

No they only came out last year and they are fairly pricey.
And hardly anyone around here even owns Ultrasone to begin with just the one where I even question its ability and quality HFI 780 considering Ultrasone sells it as something for movies and games not music.
And why buy the Pro 2900 at the time when the Pro 2500 was on clearance $190-230.
The only people I see getting the Pro 2900 was previous Pro 2500 owners maybe other Ultrasone owners but not really newbies to Ultrasone.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #335 of 5,992
Well the pro900 is only 2 years old, but you make a good point, the por 2900 is not even a year old. Well, tbh, I didn't know that. I thought they were released simultaneously. Take this with a grain of salt, but where ever I saw someone comparing the two, it was claimed that they are entirely different beast and that the pro 900 were preferred. As for the price, they retail for the same, just the pro 900 can be found for less. I'm sure, given some time, the pro 2900 will cost about the same as the pro 900.

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #336 of 5,992
This might be of interest:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486545/ultrasone-pro-2900
On the third page there is a mini review of the pro2900

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #337 of 5,992

Quote:
I did find one flaw with PRO 900!
My finger gets pinched between the half-circular loop that holds the ear piece and the plastic part of the ear piece!

No problem, a simple amputation will solve that!
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #338 of 5,992

Quote:

Quote:

Really doubt it has less or much less just because something is open doesn't mean it will have weaker bass Pro 2500 proved that. And that's what one person says not fact.
The advantages of a open headphone makes me think the Pro 2900 will simply sound better than the Pro 900.

I think the problem is that everybody that might be interested in the PRO2900 already have PRO900 (like me). I also had the PRO2500 and prefered them much over the PRO750, so you can imagine I'm curious, but they are just too expensive to get just to compare them with the PRO900.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #339 of 5,992

Are you going for phones that no one will be able to hear even a peep, in a completely silent library? Or, are you looking for phones that won't wake up your roommate? Do you have sensitive roommates who wake at the slightest noise? Will you be rocking out trance all the time? Do you listen to music at an ear-deafening level? Are you concerned about people finding out you are listening to music or what you are listening to? How far will your peers be when you listen?

My point is every headphones will leak no matter what if you listen in an absolutely silent environment. Every headphone will leak in a mildly noisy environment if you are rocking out in high volume. If you are so concerned about sound leaking out (your #1 priority) then get an IEM and that's about all you can get. Both M50 and 580 will leak if you play loud enough and close enough to the headphones.

Well I would prefer it not to leak in the library, I would probably listen at moderate volumes. As for people knowing what I listen to, I could care less. I just don't want to be "that guy" always playing music that people can hear. At home I'll be both listening to music & gaming, but out in public it will probably be just music.

My roommates said they could care less, but I only recognized it as being polite. The problem would also be that sometimes Id be in a noisy environment, which would most likely cause me to raise the volume..which would in effect also leak more sound and bother others. Such a scenario would be friends watching a moderately loud movie in the living room, and Id be sitting at the dining table which would only be a few feet away (same room, just different sections)

Im also not too crazy of IEMs (but to be honest I haven't really researched them. I worry of losing soundstage mostly), I don't like sticking them in my ear..feels odd. Not to mention they slam music directly pointed at your eardrum. A friend of mine owns a pair of headphones(RP-HTX7) quite capable of having no leaks. True that it does leak very little, but it's quite ideal. The PRO550's I owned previously however were not ideal at all.

My dilema is that I'm afraid of committing to the HFI-580, which is said to leak very little to no sound, when the PRO900 seems as if it would be quite an improvement on all aspects(though I havent read your review yet x]) such as bass, mid/highs, soundstage.. though assumingly leaks more sound. I hope it's not as the PRO550's were, they almost sounded open, and those had (p)leather pads.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #340 of 5,992

Quote:

Well I would prefer it not to leak in the library, I would probably listen at moderate volumes. As for people knowing what I listen to, I could care less. I just don't want to be "that guy" always playing music that people can hear. At home I'll be both listening to music & gaming, but out in public it will probably be just music.My roommates said they could care less, but I only recognized it as being polite. The problem would also be that sometimes Id be in a noisy environment, which would most likely cause me to raise the volume..which would in effect also leak more sound and bother others. Such a scenario would be friends watching a moderately loud movie in the living room, and Id be sitting at the dining table which would only be a few feet away (same room, just different sections)Im also not too crazy of IEMs (but to be honest I haven't really researched them. I worry of losing soundstage mostly), I don't like sticking them in my ear..feels odd. Not to mention they slam music directly pointed at your eardrum. A friend of mine owns a pair of headphones(RP-HTX7) quite capable of having no leaks. True that it does leak very little, but it's quite ideal. The PRO550's I owned previously however were not ideal at all.My dilema is that I'm afraid of committing to the HFI-580, which is said to leak very little to no sound, when the PRO900 seems as if it would be quite an improvement on all aspects(though I havent read your review yet x]) such as bass, mid/highs, soundstage.. though assumingly leaks more sound. I hope it's not as the PRO550's were, they almost sounded open, and those had (p)leather pads.

PRO 550 sounding as it was open?!?! Just by looking at the construction it's very similar to PRO 900 and 900 leaks at about 30% level of the Grado I have (SR80). Granted that I have never heard PRO 550 in person but just by guesstimating (purely IMHO) based other Ultrasone headphones I have, if you think PRO 550 sounds like an open can then 580, M50 and definitely 900 will be too much leak for you.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #341 of 5,992

Quote:

Quote:

I did a fair amount of shopping around for the best prices on the Pro 900 and 2900 and the best price for the 900 was $80 less than the 2900.  I think that price difference is a huge factor for a lot of people and will push them towards the 900.  People don't know if the extra money will be worth it to them.  There is a known gain in cost for an unknown gain in enjoyment.  Since information on the 2900 is still scarce there is still more reason for people to go with the 900 and it is a "safer" buy for a lot of people right now.  I went with the 2900 and not having heard the 900 I don't know if the extra that I paid was worth it, but I don't regret my purchase either.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #342 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I think the problem is that everybody that might be interested in the PRO2900 already have PRO900 (like me). I also had the PRO2500 and prefered them much over the PRO750, so you can imagine I'm curious, but they are just too expensive to get just to compare them with the PRO900.

Nothing is more true than this statement right there.  I want to so bad, but Terminators and MarkL's are calling!  Plus Audeze is watching too.... I can't stand the pressure!  
eek.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #344 of 5,992
I have a question pertaining to the mids. I feel like they are still to recessed for my liking. I Kees modded mine and, while they do sound better. I still find the mids to sound too plasticy and recessed. Does break-in remedy this? Mine have about 150-200 hours of break-in, I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back