Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #316 of 5,992
The Pro 900s have three pressure points where it contacts your head: the two earcups and the top of the headband.  There are indeed gaps anywhere in between these three points.  The velour pads, along with clamping force, make the Pro 900s pretty comfortable and I feel that their weight is distributed pretty well.  I am pretty sensitive to pressure at the top of my head (both K701 and the D2000 caused a bit of discomfort there) and I can wear the Ultrasone's for an hour or so before I need to readjust them.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Isnt thepro 900 large heavy and clunky like the other pro ultrasone models, with significant space between your head and the headband above your ears?  A set that heavy with a thin piece of padding on such an expensive set makes no sense to me.

The pros aren't heavy.
The pad on the headband is the only part that touches the top of the head so why have more padding.
Pro 900's earpads look more puffy than other ones so they probably are more comfortable than some other Pro models.
The pros have a pretty good grip on the sides at first but after some time loosens up.

How does the headband loosen if it is made of plastic?  I meant there are large gaps between the side of your head and the headband itself, meaning the headband doesnt conform to the shape of a human head and is more like a rounded square instead of a half circle.  I recently had the pro 750 and the Dj1 pro and both of them had gaps big enough for me to stick my whole hand through and not touch either side.  For example the worst of the crop were the Shure 840 in design, huge gaps, both ultrasones put 100% of the weight right at the crown of your head and only offered a thin strip of padding.  

I was asking if the pro 900 did the same and after looking at some pictures and the specs sheet, it looks like its designed the same as all the others 

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #318 of 5,992
Quote:
It's a shame there are no 900 vs 2900 comparisons. :frowning2:

Don't tempt me...
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #319 of 5,992
I actually Kees Modded my Pro 900's today as well. I did it EXACTLY how everyone has done it (including Kees) and I cannot say it makes THAT big of a difference. I'll have to say that the highs have been smoothed out a bit and have become less shrill, and the bass is slightly more controlled, yet still as full and deep as before. But if I woke up one morning, and someone secretly Kees Modded my Pro 900's in the middle of the night, I don't think I would tell a difference unless I was told. But, like I said, I "think" it improved the sound a bit, rounding off a few rough edges.

I think I'll be leaving it in Kees form though. Not only is it a bit more refined, but I also get the psychological satisfaction of having the Kees Mod been done to them, which many testify to it's very noticeable improvement to overall SQ.

UPDATE: I actually removed both felt discs on the very inside and just left the round cotton pads inside. But, this time I doubled the amount by putting in two discs in each side instead of one. (They fit in oh so perfectly!) Now, the bass is fine tuned absolutely perfectly to my needs, and sounds flat out phenomenal! I'm still experimenting with the placement of the felt on the metal shield -- but one thing is for sure, it definitely sounds better with one on than without!

UPDATE 2: I felt the two discs in each ear cup took out the bass just a little too much. So I decided to take everything out and listen to it stock. WOAH! There is way too much bass here, and the highs are really hot. So, I decided to take the middle road, and do only one disc in each earcup. After listening, now I'm convinced I have the perfect bass. So, pretty much I have the Kees mod inside, without the felt disc under the circular disc. I still need to experiment with felt on the metal shield though. Because it definitely NEEDS some to smooth those highs out!

Thank you, Kees, for your outstanding mod! I have probably taken my Pro 900 apart at least 7-8 times now to hear what a difference it makes. And it really does make a difference in the sound.
smile.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #320 of 5,992
Feb 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #321 of 5,992
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't tempt me...
wink.gif

God please no!  This has been bothering me for quite some time, and there's one in the market. 
blink.gif

Heh. I think we both know it would look like my D2000 vs HD650 comparison...

No, but seriously, that headphone has had my attention for the longest time. Shame it's $250 more.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #322 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:

Well someone would have to spend a lot to do that.
Pro 900 barely dropped in price recently.

Pro 2900 I'm sure sounds better being open.

There is somewhere a thread on headfi, where someone compares the 2. The person claims that they sound very different and that they actually prefer the pro 900. I remember it also saying that the pro2900 are a lot smoother and that their bass isn't as powerful and doesn't extend quite as far.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #323 of 5,992

Here is a short answer.

1. PRO 900 has more bass but higher quality, crisper and tighter. It also goes down pretty low, about the same if not more than 580.
2. Definitely more comfy!!!
3. Soundstage is wider then 580.
4. 580's mid and high comes out a little in certain music but still very nice (which is why I prefer this over ATH-M50). PRO 900 retains the same sound signature and its high and mid are still clear and crisp but they blend in better with the other frequencies than 580.

I would say PRO 900 will satisfy 3 out of 4 your requested.

Considering PRO 900's driver's 20% smaller than 580 the sound coming out is pretty amazing especially the bass.

Is it safe to say the Pro900's leak a fair bit more than the 580's?

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #324 of 5,992

Quote:

Is it safe to say the Pro900's leak a fair bit more than the 580's?

No it's not because I don't know what your definition of "fair bit" is compared to mine. I don't mind the difference as co-workers around can't hear my music. You could though.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #325 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is somewhere a thread on headfi, where someone compares the 2. The person claims that they sound very different and that they actually prefer the pro 900. I remember it also saying that the pro2900 are a lot smoother and that their bass isn't as powerful and doesn't extend quite as far.

After hearing the bass from the Pro 900s, I don't think I could ever live with less 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #326 of 5,992
These cans really rock with the new Grateful Dead Road Trips that just came out! Surprising that with this much bass everything else is so balanced. My only issue with my Beyers, for instance, is that the bass seemed to be at the expense of the mids, to an extent. Not so with these Ultrasone. Nice! These could give my Grado RS1 a run for their money for rock and amplified music where the bass is electric and punchy. Money well-spent. Happy camper.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #327 of 5,992

No it's not because I don't know what your definition of "fair bit" is compared to mine. I don't mind the difference as co-workers around can't hear my music. You could though.

Well, for example there will be times where I'd want to use these in a library, or near a friends' room while theyre sleeping and the apartment is quiet.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #328 of 5,992
I cant take it anymore... my d2000s are less than a month old but I need to buy the Pros.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #329 of 5,992

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

After hearing the bass from the Pro 900s, I don't think I could ever live with less 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Really doubt it has less or much less just because something is open doesn't mean it will have weaker bass Pro 2500 proved that. And that's what one person says not fact.
The advantages of a open headphone makes me think the Pro 2900 will simply sound better than the Pro 900.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #330 of 5,992
Oh you definitely couldn't use them in a library unless you listened at a bit below moderate volume

Quote:

Well, for example there will be times where I'd want to use these in a library, or near a friends' room while theyre sleeping and the apartment is quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back